Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
Hi beam works - Lo beam dosen't!!!!!

Tried to install some HID this morning. Tried a combination of two different bulbs and 2 different ballasts on the R side only. Both of them did not work except for high beams. Tried to go back to the stock light and the low beam didn't work either but the high beam did!

Checked the fuse which controls the WHOLE R headlight. It was OK. I have no idea how this could be happening. I only see 3 wires going to the headlight.

What is wrong with my low beam?? It was working just fine yesterday!
:c onfused:
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
some HID kits you have to swap some of the wires around in the pigtail on the ballast side.

there should be 4 fuses for the headlights 1 for each High and 1 for each Low

but I bet it has some thing to do with the aftermarket wiring
Old 05-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
fuji

There are only two fuses for the headlights. I already checked them and they are just fine.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Buy a cheap multimeter and check for continuity.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
Tried to install some HID this morning. Tried a combination of two different bulbs and 2 different ballasts on the R side only. Both of them did not work except for high beams. Tried to go back to the stock light and the low beam didn't work either but the high beam did!

Checked the fuse which controls the WHOLE R headlight. It was OK. I have no idea how this could be happening. I only see 3 wires going to the headlight.

What is wrong with my low beam?? It was working just fine yesterday!
:c onfused:
Toyota headlights work a bit differently from, say, Chevy ones. On Chevy headlights, the common terminal on the bulb is connected to ground, and power is alternately fed to the two other terminals, which gives you high and low beam. This arrangement is called Switched Power.

On a Toyota, it's just the opposite - power is fed to the common terminal, and the ground is switched to one or the other of the other terminals for high and low beam. This is called Switched Ground.

The Chevy-type (switched power) wiring is very common on American cars and lots of European and Japanese cars as well. So, aftermarket headlight products normally follow this plan, and you have to do some adapting to use them on a Toyota.

Here's a headlight wiring diagram for the 2007 Yaris that should make all this clear. Also a picture of an H4 bulb, which is the kind used in a Yaris.

Last edited by Sir A.Y. Atoyot; 07-27-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
fuji

Well, I figured out it is not the Yaris but the lights themselves. When I plug in a normal H4 or 9003 it works just fine.

When I plug in the HID H4 with the positive prongs switched and turn on the lights, the high beam(halogen) turns on just fine. When I switch it back to the normal configuration, no low beam but the high beam turns on.

It must be the HIDs themselves. I have heard sometimes you need to attach the power source directly to the battery. Wow this sucks!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
Well, I figured out it is not the Yaris but the lights themselves. When I plug in a normal H4 or 9003 it works just fine.

When I plug in the HID H4 with the positive prongs switched and turn on the lights, the high beam(halogen) turns on just fine. When I switch it back to the normal configuration, no low beam but the high beam turns on.

It must be the HIDs themselves. I have heard sometimes you need to attach the power source directly to the battery. Wow this sucks!
These Xeon conversions are a lot more complicated than any ordinary lights. Some of the conversion kits are compatible with Yarises and some aren't. I'd suggest getting the help of an auto electric shop.

Another suggestion - don't butcher the stock wiring! You may want to re-install stock headlights some time in future.

Last edited by Sir A.Y. Atoyot; 05-25-2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Info added
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:33 AM   #8
fuji

Looks like there is a relay for the lights which can be purchased separately. I will give them a try.