Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2021, 10:21 PM   #1
YOUNG SCOOTER

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatch
is it worth it to just upgrade the 4 speakers?

I've driven old hooptys most of my life with crap stereos, so I was pleasantly surprised that this yaris actually thumps pretty good. Mine is the 2008 hatchback. I don't really wanna go for the full setup with a sub and amplifier, but I was curious if i could expect an improvement in sound volume, depth, and sharpness by just going to crutchfield and buying some medium to high dollar price point door speakers for front and rear. I'm not upgrading the wiring, the head unit, running extra batteries, amplifier, etc. Just plain ol switcheroo. Is this a waste of money or will I actually notice a big improvement?
YOUNG SCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
It's a tough call because the stock speakers are paper junk, but OEM head units don't provide enough power to make proper speakers sing the way they're intended. I always feel it's better to change the head unit so the stock speakers are getting good power and clean signal, making them sound as good as they're going to. Going the other way, sure, new speakers will be of better quality than the factory speakers, but if they're getting the same low RMS power and mediocre signal from the OEM radio, they're not going to impress. I feel to really do it right, you don't need to go sub and amp, but you should change both the head unit and door speakers.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:03 PM   #3
YOUNG SCOOTER

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatch
ok so my research is saying the stock head unit and speakers are 10-15 Watt? So i can upgrade to a 40w setup all around and it will be much cleaner?
YOUNG SCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I agree with ern-diz. However, I have done many stereo installations and have found that most times, what you gain in clarity and high end, you lose in bass response when you go from stock speakers to aftermarket ones if you do not do an amp upgrade. I have simply added tweeters to stock systems (usually mounted high on the A-pillars) and it has made a tremendous difference in clarity and also raised the sound stage for a more immersive experience. That said, I have some age-related high frequency loss. If you're happy with the overall sound and just want some brightness/clarity, a simple tweeter upgrade is worthwhile. I would opt for a silk dome tweeter and one example of an affordable, quality product are the NVX silk domes. Also, I've never run into any issues with impedance whether the aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms or not.

BTW, I'm running my current system on the stock charging system with zero issues. Check out my sig, for my current system if interested.

You would rock a Yaris with a 40 x 4 amp. I'm running a Korean-made Dual 4 x 100 amp for my door speakers and tweets. It's way more power than I need. I would recommend going for a CEA2006 compliant amp.

Dual Amp (Discontinued by maybe available elsewhere)

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...al-DA704L.html

I ran the Clarion XC1410, a great budget mini amp in two previous vehicles:

https://www.clarion.com/xe/en/produc...peaker/XC1410/

NVX Tweeters:

https://nvx.com/nvx-vsptw.html

Also, NVX coaxial speakers for your doors would be an excellent choice.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/cm72...-speakers.html

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-16-2021 at 09:33 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:58 AM   #5
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
How much are you looking to spend $ ?

If you want something you can try out and can probably find locally look into these Pioneers

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-TS...ower/473044654

Yes the rms is a bit higher at 70 watts rms, but they will sound better than stock, and if you want to get a little bit louder add an amp later on, a small 4 channel amp will not put much strain on your stock alternator.

Also when shopping around pay attention to the frequency response, some speakers will use an inline capacitor as a bass blocker, so make sure your response is at least 35-37 hz on the low end since you aren't running subs, so you still get those sub frequencies.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
I upgraded to a 50 watt head unit and still on stock speakers. I'm not to the extent on an audiophile but it's good enough for me to notice some bass/treble improvements. I'm happy enough that I do not need to upgrade my speakers.
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:26 PM   #7
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Both of my stock front speakers died on my '09 a while ago.
I just had them replaced today with some high end coaxials

They do make a noticeable improvement

As far as the rear speakers... i always have the fader set so there is just a bit sound fill from them with most of the sound coming from the front speakers.
The Yaris a small car so I do not need or want all 4 speakers playing loudly. as you will loose all stereo imaging .
So, IMO it is not really l necessary to replace the rears .

Last edited by RedRide; 05-29-2021 at 09:50 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote