Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
My front speakers had no sound

I still have my'09 hatch back. it only has about 20k miles on it ... long story

About a year ago, first the left front audio went out
Then about a week later the right front audio when out

Since was the height of the pandemic, I never had it looked at and I was sure not about to go to the dealer for it.

Anyway last week, I went to the only reputable (privately owned) car audio installer in my town. They suspected the speakers but were not quite sure.

So today I had an appointment to pull a door panel to see for sure if it was the speakers or the HU.
The owner (with over 10 years experience) said it would be much easier to just pull a door panel than to pull the HU and test it

Anyway, the front speakers were indeed bad and they installed new high end coaxial speakers. They seem to sound much better that the stock speakers.... as I remember them.
I assume that in an inexpensive car as the Yaris, Toyota did not install the best speakers.

BTW, I always have the fader set to have just a bit of sound from the rear speakers ....for just a bit of "fill".
Anyway it is great to has front speaker sound again.

Has anyone else had any problems with stock front speakers in an older Yaris .....such as mine

Last edited by RedRide; 05-29-2021 at 04:39 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:15 PM   #2
mannycheckers

Drives: 2009 Yaris 2dr Liftback
I too have an 09 hatchback with about ~50k miles.

My front left speaker went out over the last year. It would work when it was warm out, but would not play when it was cold. Now, it refuses to play at all. I'm looking to replace both front speakers and am looking at the Morel Maximo Coax 6s.

What speakers did you get?
mannycheckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 01:35 AM   #3
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
As a long time audiophile, I am aware that most all who market speakers do not make them. They are made by speaker manufactures and are just rebranded for them.

A well known brand is not necessarily better than a lesser known brand. Most who market speakers have different levels of quality in their speaker line
So, a speaker must be evaluated and chosen for individual quality and not for brand preference. or how deceivingly just cosmetically high tech they may loo
Theses type of speakers with a meaningless high tech look are aimed at the ignorant who purchase speakers with their eyes and not with their ears..

He showed me what he wanted to put in for my approval. They were still n a sealed box but, the speakers were still clearly visible through the transparent front ..... and the specs printed on the box it were great.
I forget the name but, they did look like very high quality two way coaxials which is what I said I wanted.
The owner has been in business for about 10 years and has a great reputation for honesty. So, I accepted his recommendation.

BTW any car is the worst possible acoustical environment. Then you add road nose.
So, nothing can make audio in a car sound like a great home system.

Anyway...... IMO any high quality two way coaxials will sound better than the stock speakers

I should point out that an overpowering bass is not a sign of a good system....it's just too much bass,

Last edited by RedRide; 05-31-2021 at 05:32 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote