Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2021, 06:30 AM   #1
IG38

Drives: Yaris 2007
Idle Shake - Splutter and engine out :(

Hi guys.

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who might have an insight into a Yaris issue that has been bedevilling me for the last few weeks.

My '07 Automatic Yaris is experiencing the following symptoms:
- revs drop to about 500 at the lights;
- whole car / engine bay shakes;

Sometimes, the engine will rev itself back to about 1k rpm, and then settle back normally. Sometimes, I shift into neutral, and just gently rev to 1k just to keep the shakes at bay.

The moment I get the green light, the car is off and running (lately I have noticed the car is a bit more sluggish after the shakes, but usually comes back online strong after a few seconds of running)

I've had the throttle body cleaned, the MAF sensor cleaned.

Car has always been dealer serviced. When the issue first manifested, I brought it back to the dealership. Was told nothing on the computer.

However, I'm putting this urgent reach out because the previous shakes episode ended with the car cutting out. I was able to restart, only for a second shake episode that not only cut out the engine, but made the brake pedal stiff - couldn't stop the car rolling (I had moved quickly to N to restart at the lights) and used the parking brake to stop. My dealer service is booked - but in a weeks time (couldn't fit me in earlier).

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? Would appreciate it someone could point me in the right direction (or at least give me a broad area to point the mechanics to look at)

Much thanks in advance
Ian
IG38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Is the check engine light on?
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
IG38

Drives: Yaris 2007
The CEL light just came on after another shaking episode. I'm hoping it's cheaper than a tranny issue :( Been told if it's tranny, to just throw the car away

Edit: Car has about 200k on it

Last edited by IG38; 06-26-2021 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added extra info
IG38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
Cletus Garfunkle
Average KKT User

Drives: 2001 Echo
I've had the same problem my car 01 Echo with 240k would only idle around 500 when in drive. I had a p0171 Code on my CEL which is a lean problem. First Id search for any vacuum leaks visually check all the rubber hoses and make sure no obv cracks if nothing get some brake clean spray the intake manifold hoses anything that could take in air and listen for a rev change (Vaccum leak sounds like ur problem). If nothing then Id look at the injectors I even said it wasn't my injectors until I took them out and saw how bad they were 240k worth of shitty fuel. But If you could take it to a parts store and ask to borrow an OBD-2 Reader or buy a shitty 20$ one and get the code that could be a lot of help to figuring out this problem.
Cletus Garfunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:23 PM   #5
crumbs

Drives: 2009 1.5 Hatchback Manual
I am also having this issue with a manual transmission, so I doubt it is your torque converter or automatic transmission, though they are inferior to a manual ;). I have cleaned the throttle body and MAF.

Dont trash the yaris Ian.
crumbs is offline   Reply With Quote