Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Is it basically the car turning over for several seconds and not fully starting.
That's what it sounds like from his description. It would actually be helpful to see/hear a video of it.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #20
schume

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I'm kind of stumped on his, without seeing the car in person. Based on some PMs back and forth with him, the only thing I can see causing it is the fuel system depressurizing over time as it sits.
I have the same problem with my car. Usually happens after it has been driven. I insert the key and turn it to the start position right away. I had it crank for a good 5 seconds in front of my friend's house once. Everyone thought I was doing it on purpose. I was thinking fuel pressure too, but how could it be depressurizing in such a short period of time? If I turn the key to ON for a few seconds and then start, no problems. Between this, the random loud intermittent clacking on startup, waiting for my waterpump to die an early death, the waddling suspension and the horrible smell from the A/C, I could almost regret buying this thing.
schume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #21
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That's what it sounds like from his description. It would actually be helpful to see/hear a video of it.
I know what he's talking about now, mine does it as well and not the first I've heard of this. Just think of it as exactly a carb not getting gas and you're turning the key on at a constant until it kicks in. Happens for about 5 to 7 seconds.

OP, check to make sure you are not running rich and change the filter (check to make sure nothing is clogged in the intake as well incase you sucked up a squirrel or something living in there. A dirty filter can cause this issue.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #22
SL Runner

Drives: Toyota IST - Urban Cruiser
"fuel system depressurizing" I cross checked this with the 1NZ-FE manual. it says,

Fuel pressure - Starting: 44.1 to 49.7 psi.
Idle pressure: 21 psi or more.

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...6082011450.jpg

The attached picture shows my vehicle's fuel pressure when idle. It is within the range. When I push the start button, it quickly jumps to 44 - 45 psi

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/Fuel.pdf

Now another technician asked me to do a throttle learning as I cleaned my throttle body (manually). next 20th Im taking my vehicle to Toyota dealer. Then I'm planning to get the DTC code recorded in the ECU. And follow the instructions mentioned in the below manual.

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairm...%20Control.pdf

I noticed one more thing. When I push the start button and when engine starter motor cranks, I pushed the accelerator and vehicle started quickly. Time duration for this scenario is between 3-4 seconds.

Appreciate your help friends. I sent a PM to Mr. Scott. Appreciate if you could get back to me.

Cheers...
SL Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #23
SL Runner

Guys... for the last three days I was trying to capture the engine start delay on the video. Now engine starts smoothly once you start it in the morning. Once the engine get heated up problem occurs again when you try to start it. However here is the link for the video for morning start. I will capture the delayed start scenario and post the video soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWiKu-D4jWU

Last edited by SL Runner; 08-18-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #24
ptown
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
First timer reading the boards and saw this thread. Registered so I can put my two cents in. Got a 08 Yaris, intermittent extended crank. Randomly happens, cold or hot engine. It doesn't occur all the time but when it does I get an extended crank for up to 10 seconds and the engine will crank over.

Took it the dealer, found no trouble codes. Changed air filter, cleaned MAF sensor and throttle body. About a week later happens again. The issue started happening around 60k miles, I got about 90k now. I check spark plugs and found some residual oil on them. Very little oil in ignition coil bores. After replacing the spark plugs I havent experiences the problem again. Not sure if its a fix but worked for me. I haven't rechecked for any further leaks...been lazy..but I'm leaning towards the valve cover gasket leaking and causing my issue. Again the oil I found was very minute...wouldn't have even noticed if I was just doing a regular spark plug service.
ptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:34 AM   #25
SL Runner

Engine start delay - Update

Hi Guys,

Read this "http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54982"

One of my friend who owns a Yaris had the same issue and he changed his injectors. Problem solved. My injectors are on their way...

BTW: ECU indicates a trouble code and it is: P1604 - "Startability Malfunction"

Remember guys: This trouble code covers a huge area of problems such as, check fuel pump, MAF sensor, Crank Shaft Position sensor, Spark Plugs etc. Diagnostic details are not available to public. I asked for it ...but Toyota refused to give it to me.

Conclusion: Injectors have gone bad due to contaminated petrol. Therefore replace all 4 injectors.

CTScott...Thanks mate...
Old 04-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #26
Yarisillo
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
2007 Yaris slow starting

I have the exact same issue as described! 125,000 miles on the odometer, VVT-i engine. 3-door.

Car will occasionally start only after several seconds of normal-sounding cranking. Have already replaced two muffler parts, had a brand new battery put in and no luck.

It used to be maybe once in five starts that it would do this -- the other times it would start instantly.

Now it's almost every other start. I use the car daily, so it's not a matter of it not being driven enough. Also, this happens in 30 degree (F) weather as well as 95 degree weather, so it's not temperature.

I have not tried waiting a few seconds after turning the key to 'ON' -- does this allow for some extra heating or preparation of the engine? My next step, I guess would be to change the spark plugs and/or injectors.

And I guess the next step after that would be going to a Toyota Dealership? I have taken it to 2-3 certified (insured, have numerous certificates displayed in their shop, good volume of customers) places and they have all scratched their heads and assured me that it can't possibly be the fuel filter (which I guess in the Yaris, is located inside the gas tank!)
Yarisillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #27
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarisillo View Post
I have the exact same issue as described! 125,000 miles on the odometer, VVT-i engine. 3-door.

Car will occasionally start only after several seconds of normal-sounding cranking. Have already replaced two muffler parts, had a brand new battery put in and no luck.

It used to be maybe once in five starts that it would do this -- the other times it would start instantly.

Now it's almost every other start. I use the car daily, so it's not a matter of it not being driven enough. Also, this happens in 30 degree (F) weather as well as 95 degree weather, so it's not temperature.

I have not tried waiting a few seconds after turning the key to 'ON' -- does this allow for some extra heating or preparation of the engine? My next step, I guess would be to change the spark plugs and/or injectors.

And I guess the next step after that would be going to a Toyota Dealership? I have taken it to 2-3 certified (insured, have numerous certificates displayed in their shop, good volume of customers) places and they have all scratched their heads and assured me that it can't possibly be the fuel filter (which I guess in the Yaris, is located inside the gas tank!)
Sounds like the fuel pressure is bleeding down. A proper fuel pressure test should tell you if it's bleeding down.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote