Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
New Family Member...2007 Yaris RS

I found another Yaris and couldn't help myself. At $1000.00 CAD, it was too hard to turn down. My son and I will do the repairs (opportunity to teach him car repair) and we'll either flip it and he can have the money or we will really take our time, and in 5 years he can have it for his first car. Probably the former.

Another option is to swap the manual into my car (with an upgraded clutch) and put the auto into the red 3-door.

It's a 2007 RS 3-door 5-speed. It has 260000 kms on it and drives like new. Once again, I'm blown away by Toyota quality. Engine is extremely smooth and quiet and the shifts are prefect. The oil is fresh and topped up. For a RS model, it's quite stripped with no A/C, manual window cranks etc. But the interior is in exceptional shape. I plan to swap the seats form this car into mine as they are in pristine condition. Mine are in great shape, but these are better.

Issues and Repairs to be done:

The car failed inspection because of significant rust near the rear suspension. This does not affect the structure at all. The owner was kind enough to let me put the car up on jackstands and poke around. There is a large hole (probably 4" in diameter) where the rear axle bushing attaches. The thick part of the metal that holds the axle bushing in place is rock solid on both sides of the bushing. I could not budge the axle at this point even with a big pry bar. It's just the thinner metal a little inboard of that that rotted. It should be relatively easy to patch that with my welder and some metal strips, fiberglass over it or grind the welds down, prime and paint or bedliner.

Other issues are:

rear key lock mechanism stuck - should be an easy fix as I've done a few. Remove, disassemble the lock tumbler, clean and grease.

Fuel door cable broken - about $38.00 for a new one or a used one from scrapyard.

Small exhaust leak, but there is actually a bolt missing from the flange where the manifold connects to the midpipe. The manifold itself looks pretty good, but if not, I have another one in perfect shape that I got from a southern US car.

Car is missing driver's door catch. Will get one from a scrapyard. New is around $100.00.

The driver's seat slider mechanism appears to be frozen. May just need to be freed up or the latch mechanism replaced.

Needs rear brake shoes and kit.

Needs two front tires.

Some rust bubbling on one rear wheel well and a little peeling clear coat here and there. I will do the body work and blend paint then clear coat. If I can't get a really good match, I'll spray the whole car.

The car had been been rustproofed and it's obvious as the rocker panels, lower door skin folds and rocker pinch weld seams are completely solid as are the strut towers, entire engine bay and the underbody. Typically, rustproofing never made it into the cavity areas of the rear subframe area. Fortunately, a lot of the metal here is thick and reinforced.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Looks in great shape, and fantastic price! Looking forward to updates.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Looks in great shape, and fantastic price! Looking forward to updates.
Yeah, not too bad for $1000.00. A great foundation on which to build, so to speak. Back to work soon, so time will be limited. But, I will document the entire process in my usual, obsessively detailed way. Haha.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 08-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #4
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Seems like a good deal, even if you just used it for parts.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Seems like a good deal, even if you just used it for parts.
For sure, man. I've already been approached about selling a set of RS alloys. A guy wanted to buy mine since I'd redone the 16" Accent wheels. Could probably get $200.00 for those alone. That said, I think we're going to keep the car and my son and I will work away on it. We have 5 years, lol, until he gets his license. I figure that's enough time. Haha. We'll work on it and drive it intermittently. Like my father, I'll probably teach him how to drive a manual in a remote location before he's legal driving age. At least that's the current plan. Things can change, of course.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
For sure, man. I've already been approached about selling a set of RS alloys. A guy wanted to buy mine since I'd redone the 16" Accent wheels. Could probably get $200.00 for those alone. That said, I think we're going to keep the car and my son and I will work away on it. We have 5 years, lol, until he gets his license. I figure that's enough time. Haha. We'll work on it and drive it intermittently. Like my father, I'll probably teach him how to drive a manual in a remote location before he's legal driving age. At least that's the current plan. Things can change, of course.
That's awesome! Gotta love the father-son bonding. I need to start looking for a car for my son soon (he'll be 16 next year). I would love to find a fixer upper and do the same.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Great score! If you were closer to the Toronto area I'd be first in line to buy it if you flip it.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
That's awesome! Gotta love the father-son bonding. I need to start looking for a car for my son soon (he'll be 16 next year). I would love to find a fixer upper and do the same.
Yes, well we shall see how it goes. He's very much into cars (in video games) and most are Bugattis, McLarens etc. He loves the turbo Yaris and is always pressuring me (pun, not intended) to go into boost and race other cars on the highway. Haha. If he engages - and he's expressed interest - it should be fun.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Great score! If you were closer to the Toronto area I'd be first in line to buy it if you flip it.
How about we trade it for a built 6-speed trans with LSD? ��

My wife, who believes that cars serve one purpose, and one alone (and they don't need to be serviced, just gassed up), was telling her mother about the plans for Eric and I to restore this car and her mother thought it was quite a wonderful opportunity. Seal of approval granted! LOL. Wife and mother-in-law onboard...priceless. The budget just increased.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:25 PM   #10
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
That car is lucky...it found a great home. Thanks for sharing, 06YarisRS!
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
That car is lucky...it found a great home. Thanks for sharing, 06YarisRS!
Yes, it will be well treated. All available TLC! I started sourcing a few parts locally.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Sibling has arrived!

Drove the car home from Moncton, NB today. The car runs like a new Toyota. It's solid, tight, engine is super quiet. I may get it up on jack stands tomorrow and look things over in more detail.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #13
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
How about we trade it for a built 6-speed trans with LSD?
I'm not sure your son will get much use out of that. =P
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I'm not sure your son will get much use out of that. =P
Lol. I'd acquire another car for him quickly.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:57 AM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Very cool. I'll miss having a Yaris. Who knows, maybe I'll get a third one in the future. LOL
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Very cool. I'll miss having a Yaris. Who knows, maybe I'll get a third one in the future. LOL
I would certainly miss owning one. You must have access to many used ones where you live. It's getting hard to find ones around here that haven't failed inspection due to rust in the rear subframe area. I imagine they are structurally perfect in your area.