Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Restarting car after popping the clutch...

Sometimes when I'm at a light and it turns green I'll accidentally pop the clutch and the car will die. I think all 5-speed Yaris owners know how finicky the clutch is. When I try to restart it by turning the ignition key, nothing happens.

I'm not positive of exactly what I do because I tend to panic when there are people behind me waiting to go. But from what I can remember, I'll push on the brake pedal, let go of the brake pedal, push on the clutch, put the shifter back in neutral, push the handbrake up. Not exactly in that order, but idk. I eventually get the car started again, but I'm just wondering what exactly I need to do to get the car started up or if anyone knows why the car doesn't want to start up right away. No manual cars have ever given me so much trouble starting back up after popping the clutch. Usually, as long as you have the clutch fully depressed a manual car will just start up. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 10-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
You can just keep your feet where they are, one on clutch and the other on the gas, push the clutch in and restart the car. You don't really have to do anything else. Assuming you're on a level piece of road where you wont roll backwards.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

hmmm, pretty sure that's what I do, but the engine doesn't turn over... I guess I'll try to pay more attention to what I'm trying the next time it happens.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTimeOff View Post
hmmm, pretty sure that's what I do, but the engine doesn't turn over... I guess I'll try to pay more attention to what I'm trying the next time it happens.
Well, I don't mean to bag on your starting up skills. But sometimes when I'm not paying attention, I notice I don't push the clutch in all the way to start up the car. Could that be it?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Well, I don't mean to bag on your starting up skills. But sometimes when I'm not paying attention, I notice I don't push the clutch in all the way to start up the car. Could that be it?
Could be, but I'm about 98% positive the clutch was hitting the floor, especially since I'm desperately trying to get the car started back up. Like I said, never had this much trouble in any other manual transmission cars I've driven
Old 10-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
pinky

Drives: Toyota Yaris hatch 5 door red
Try putting your foot on the brake and the other foot on the clutch and holding them down when you turn the ignition.

I'm not sure about the Yaris, but my last car wouldn't start unless you were holding down both the brake and clutch at the same time when you tried to start the car. Hmmm...maybe it was that it wouldn't start without you holding down the brake but that I also always held down the clutch cause my car is almost always in first when I'm trying to start it. In any case, I just got use to that so now when I drive the yaris, I always depress the brake and clutch when I turn on the ignition and I've never had a problem trying to get it started out of a stall (which I've done many times, so I can sympahize with you about the clutch )
pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

hmmm, thanks for the suggestions guys. As much as I would like to preserve my clutch, I guess I'll have to stall out my car in a controlled setting in order to figure out exactly what I need to do to restart it.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Try keeping the key held at START. When you stall out, it doesn't seem to want to re-start until you keep the car cranking over.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #9
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
I feel your pain. The first week was hell to my car. One of the "tricks" I learned was that I went to a parking lot and practiced moving the car with just the playing the clutch. I pushed all the way down, put in gear, and slightly release the clutch. It engages at near the top, which is weird.

In the end, you'll get used to it.
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
Yaris Restart after stall

I have an '08 Yaris Sedan, and I have to turn the key from "On/Accessory" to "Off", then put the clutch in and turn the key back to "Ignition". If it stalls, and I just go for the clutch and turn to crank, it won't start.

The low idle (450-500 RPM once warmed up) is nice for emissions but with Toyotas light clutch, I agree, 1st gear takes a little more finess with the Yaris than, say a VW GTI with a sport clutch (the only other stick I drove recently).
SeaYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
Try keeping the key held at START. When you stall out, it doesn't seem to want to re-start until you keep the car cranking over.
Our cars automatically crank until the engine starts... try it, just tap the key to the start position and immediately let go -- it'll keep cranking until the engine starts.

I suspect that the OP isn't pushing the clutch all of the way in... there's a switch under the clutch that must be depressed for the engine to crank. It's also possible that this switch is bad, I've had them go out on other cars before.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I suspect that the OP isn't pushing the clutch all of the way in... there's a switch under the clutch that must be depressed for the engine to crank. It's also possible that this switch is bad, I've had them go out on other cars before.
That was pretty much on the money. Problem solved.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
I'm glad you figured it out, because I know how much it sucks to be in traffic and stall out. When I drove my Yaris home it was the first time I drove a manual car, so I think it's safe to say I have done my fair share of stalling in traffic.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #14
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
that's strange, because if i stall, i just make sure i have the clutch all the way pushed, and turn the key from ACC ON to Start. It works for me.

Though, the automatic cranking stops working if i let go the clutch while it's trying to crank.. So i have to hold the key in Start the old fashion way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaYa View Post
I have an '08 Yaris Sedan, and I have to turn the key from "On/Accessory" to "Off", then put the clutch in and turn the key back to "Ignition". If it stalls, and I just go for the clutch and turn to crank, it won't start.

The low idle (450-500 RPM once warmed up) is nice for emissions but with Toyotas light clutch, I agree, 1st gear takes a little more finess with the Yaris than, say a VW GTI with a sport clutch (the only other stick I drove recently).

You should drive one of those new hondas, you WILL find out what really is a LIGHT clutch!! I drove a 09 Accord recently... i thought i was steeping on the wrong pedal (see gas pedal) when i pushed the clutch... that's how light it is.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
another note, it could just be that you are not pushing the clutch all the way down? When driving around normally you don't really need to sink it all the way, so maybe by habit you were doing that too when restarting, and not actually pressing the clutch start switch. Happens to me sometimes :blush:

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
andru47

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3DR LB
Send a message via AIM to andru47
Yeah, whenever I stall, I usually push in the clutch all the way in and try to crank even when in gear, no e-brake. If that doesn't work just declutch, clutch in and try again. usually works for me and I get moving before anyone starts honking. Then again not many people in Orlando honk so hehe.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
Experienced the same thing a number of times before. No need to e-brake. Just put it back into neutral, turn the key back to OFF, and crack the engine again while the clutch is completely depressed.

Quite frankly, I, too, become all panicky and try to do the above procedures within a split second. Maybe I am doing it too fast and the engine safety feature does not let me start the engine right away.

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:12 AM   #18
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Sometimes I can't get it started right away because the floor mat keeps the clutch pedal from going down all the way. A little readjustment and it fires right up.

If that doesn't work, get out and push

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote