Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Friends buy Silver '12 3 door L with automatic

. Traded in a P/U for it and was about an even swap . Haven't seen it yet . Plan to latter today if time allows
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Hershey

Here's some pics from earlier . Think we like the style of the '12 over the 1st generation . Looks more sleek ( sporty ) . The dash / door panels look like that of a XD . Noticed no storage bins under the tire cover ( skimpin' out ) . They have a 2010 3 door with automatic with 125,000+ miles . Has original waterpump and a full resorvoir of coolant since new . Our 2008 sedan is nearing the LOW mark . You'll notice the 2010 in background .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1408.JPG (138.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1409.JPG (139.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1410.JPG (144.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1411.JPG (164.5 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1413.JPG (150.2 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1412.JPG (158.1 KB, 146 views)
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Here's some pics from earlier . Think we like the style of the '12 over the 1st generation . Looks more sleek ( sporty ) . The dash / door panels look like that of a XD . Noticed no storage bins under the tire cover ( skimpin' out ) . They have a 2010 3 door with automatic with 125,000+ miles . Has original waterpump and a full resorvoir of coolant since new . Our 2008 sedan is nearing the LOW mark . You'll notice the 2010 in background .
First time i've seen pictures from multiple angles of a Classic Silver Metallic '12 3-door (and I've never seen one in person). The 'creases' on the sides give it a sort of pizzaz or distinctiveness that I like. Those 'creases' aren't really visible on the particular non Classic Silver Metallic '12 3-doors I've seen in person. I also like the way the Classic Silver Metallic paint plays off the silver trim (the trim unique to the '12 and the '13). If I end up getting a new 3-door L 5-speed manual as my next Yaris, I now think I'd get the Classic Silver Metallic, rather than the White.

My car has the original water pump and the coolant finally neared the low mark only a few months ago, and I added coolant accordingly.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Hershey

I asked a service center if they could top off the coolant of the resorvoir and said they couldn't due to a possible water pump issue making them liable if there's a failure . Plan to get a bottle and do it myself . Agree the SILVER does wonders for the lines of the newer design . Would look better with alloys .
Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I asked a service center if they could top off the coolant of the resorvoir and said they couldn't due to a possible water pump issue making them liable if there's a failure . Plan to get a bottle and do it myself . Agree the SILVER does wonders for the lines of the newer design . Would look better with alloys .
In order to add coolant those few months ago, I bought a bottle of the pink Toyota coolant from the local Toyota dealer (the old 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'). Filling the overflow reservoir from just above the 'LOW' line to just a bit above 'FULL' (by accident) only consumed part of the bottle. I kept the remainder of the bottle, with the cap on it. Too bad about the service center. It's sad that we have a lawsuit happy culture that drives (what some might say excessive) concern re liability.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 12-04-2012 at 02:41 AM. Reason: changed the word full to all caps and added rolleyes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Hershey

The coolant level resorvoir of the friends 2010 and the '10 we had are over the FULL mark from the factory . Can't be it harms anything . He has over 125,000 miles .
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
The coolant level resorvoir of the friends 2010 and the '10 we had are over the FULL mark from the factory . Can't be it harms anything . He has over 125,000 miles .
. I was just changing the 'full' to all caps to match the 'LOW', not to emphasize the 'fullness'. The main reason I edited the post was to add the roll eyes from the Smilies menu. After adding the coolant above the full marker those months ago, I was paranoid that this would cause some sort of damage. I did all sorts of Yarisworld and Internet searches looking into this. I also went to the dealer. I uncovered an answer that eased my mind. If I remember correctly, I uncovered this information at the local Toyota dealership parts department (but it might have been online). With the cap on the overflow reservoir, there is a little hole/channel that is there to let the overflow reservoir overflow if necessary.

Those pics . I'm thinking the Classic Silver Metallic replaced the Meteorite Metallic (?). I like it better than the Meteorite Metallic.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
odd that they wouldnt top it up, my oil changes always include all fluid topups (coolant leak on my car was on the turbo) even including washerfluid
Old 12-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
odd that they wouldnt top it up, my oil changes always include all fluid topups (coolant leak on my car was on the turbo) even including washerfluid
I'm thinking that the service center concluded that the overflow reservoir has no overflow mechanism of its own, and thus didn't want to be liable for any resulting consequence. The little hole/channel/outlet that serves this purpose is almost invisible. I didn't know it existed before doing some research.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
yaris2010RS

^ this is simply not correct, the overflow does exactly what it was designed for. i have utilized it a few times and it works correctly everytime
Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
^ this is simply not correct, the overflow does exactly what it was designed for. i have utilized it a few times and it works correctly everytime
Where in my post did I state that the overflow reservoir DOESN'T do what it was designed to do? Oh, that's right I NEVER STATED THAT. I wrote that the service center (staff) in question (notice the poster writes service center...NOT Toyota dealer) might think that the overflow reservoir has no overflow mechanism of its own. There is nothing incorrect about my statement. I'm talking about the overflow mechanism of the overflow reservoir (that is what I wrote), NOT the overflow mechanism of the radiator (which it seems that you assumed via not reading my post carefully). The overflow reservoir IS the overflow mechanism for the radiator. The little hole/channel that I mentioned is the overflow mechanism for the overflow reservoir. It is nearly invisible. It is very small, and if you don't know what it looks like and what you are looking for you will likely miss that part of the 'mold' and what it is for...and a Toyota dealer will tell you it (the little hole/channel) IS the overflow mechanism for the overflow reservoir. If the service center (not knowing what to look carefully for because they are not a Toyota dealer) thinks that the overflow reservoir has no overflow mechanism of its own, just to be safe, they MIGHT not want to add more coolant to the overflow reservoir. I think that would be a weak, pansy a** stance...but CYA might be near the top of their list. I can't think, given the facts as stated by the poster, of any other even REMOTELY logical reason why the service center wouldn't add coolant to the overflow reservoir. If you can, by all means please edify all of us.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #12
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Where in my post did I state that the overflow reservoir DOESN'T do what it was designed to do? Oh, that's right I NEVER STATED THAT. I wrote that the service center (staff) in question (notice the poster writes service center...NOT Toyota dealer) might think that the overflow reservoir has no overflow mechanism of its own. There is nothing incorrect about my statement. I'm talking about the overflow mechanism of the overflow reservoir (that is what I wrote), NOT the overflow mechanism of the radiator (which it seems that you assumed via not reading my post carefully). The overflow reservoir IS the overflow mechanism for the radiator. The little hole/channel that I mentioned is the overflow mechanism for the overflow reservoir. It is nearly invisible. It is very small, and if you don't know what it looks like and what you are looking for you will likely miss that part of the 'mold' and what it is for...and a Toyota dealer will tell you it (the little hole/channel) IS the overflow mechanism for the overflow reservoir. If the service center (not knowing what to look carefully for because they are not a Toyota dealer) thinks that the overflow reservoir has no overflow mechanism of its own, just to be safe, they MIGHT not want to add more coolant to the overflow reservoir. I think that would be a weak, pansy a** stance...but CYA might be near the top of their list. I can't think, given the facts as stated by the poster, of any other even REMOTELY logical reason why the service center wouldn't add coolant to the overflow reservoir. If you can, by all means please edify all of us.
You are correct and i must appologize for my post. I did missunderstand exactly what you were claiming and also what Hershey originally posted. I was assuming "Service Center" ment a toyota service center as well as a few other things.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
You are correct and i must appologize for my post. I did missunderstand exactly what you were claiming and also what Hershey originally posted. I was assuming "Service Center" ment a toyota service center as well as a few other things.
no biggie.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
Hershey

It was the TOYOTA service center from where we bought the '08 sedan new . Stinks that they won't top it off . Must be they've seen some YARIS with the water pump issue . They mentioned it first over the phone .
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
yaris2010RS

Quote:
no biggie.
Quote:
It was the TOYOTA service center from where we bought the '08 sedan new . Stinks that they won't top it off . Must be they've seen some YARIS with the water pump issue . They mentioned it first over the phone .
Haha, i assumed right, i retract my apology,

JKSJKS
Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Haha, i assumed right, i retract my apology,

JKSJKS
Actually we are both wrong re not reading Hershey's Post #4 carefully and WE BOTH deserve a for that. We both thought it odd that the facility wouldn't top off Hershey's overflow reservoir and both of us missed the mention of the water pump......HOWEVER.....the criticism you made in post #10 (that you later apologized for) is still invalid. You misread my post and assumed that I was talking about the overflow reservoir as it relates to its function as the overflow for the radiator. You criticized me for stating/implying something wrong (that the overflow reservoir doesn't work right as overflow reservoir for the radiator, AND I NEVER STATED NOR IMPLIED THAT), when i was talking about something different (the overflow reservoir's own overflow mechanism (the hole/channel)). It's as if you criticized me about something about pears, when I was talking about melons. Also, your criticism is unrelated to the fact that both of us missed the water pump statement. The only thing I would have changed in my statements had I not missed the water pump statement from Hershey, is that I would have asked Hershey if the water pump issue the center is mentioning had specifically happened on a Yaris. Remember we didn't KNOW from Hershey that it was a TOYOTA DEALER service center until AFTER all of our posts except your very last one that I am replying to now.

Now that we have the information that it was the dealer, and that Hershey has reminded us that he did mention the water pump (still amazed WE BOTH missed that ) I'm trying to crawl 'inside the dealer's head' to see what their rationale is. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe they feel the overflow hole/channel doesn't discharge excess coolant (above the full line or maybe even near it) fast enough and that might effect the water pump staying properly sealed....although the water pump has leaked on many a Yari, likely for a myriad of other reasons as well.....Hershey, did the dealer give any further insight into their conclusion?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #17
nookandcrannycar

^^^^^ Or perhaps the dealer just made a risk/reward decision...being asked to do something minor that they aren't going to make much money on weighed against anything (however remote) that might happen.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #18
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Actually we are both wrong re not reading Hershey's Post #4 carefully and WE BOTH deserve a for that. We both thought it odd that the facility wouldn't top off Hershey's overflow reservoir and both of us missed the mention of the water pump......HOWEVER.....the criticism you made in post #10 (that you later apologized for) is still invalid. You misread my post and assumed that I was talking about the overflow reservoir as it relates to its function as the overflow for the radiator. You criticized me for stating/implying something wrong (that the overflow reservoir doesn't work right as overflow reservoir for the radiator, AND I NEVER STATED NOR IMPLIED THAT), when i was talking about something different (the overflow reservoir's own overflow mechanism (the hole/channel)). It's as if you criticized me about something about pears, when I was talking about melons. Also, your criticism is unrelated to the fact that both of us missed the water pump statement. The only thing I would have changed in my statements had I not missed the water pump statement from Hershey, is that I would have asked Hershey if the water pump issue the center is mentioning had specifically happened on a Yaris. Remember we didn't KNOW from Hershey that it was a TOYOTA DEALER service center until AFTER all of our posts except your very last one that I am replying to now.

Now that we have the information that it was the dealer, and that Hershey has reminded us that he did mention the water pump (still amazed WE BOTH missed that ) I'm trying to crawl 'inside the dealer's head' to see what their rationale is. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe they feel the overflow hole/channel doesn't discharge excess coolant (above the full line or maybe even near it) fast enough and that might effect the water pump staying properly sealed....although the water pump has leaked on many a Yari, likely for a myriad of other reasons as well.....Hershey, did the dealer give any further insight into their conclusion?
This is going to go on forever and ever, we were both on different mind tracks. i did believe you were talking about the over flow container overflow hole. and unfortunatly i understood that you had the same beliefs your implied the service center could have also believed.

Anyways no worries, we were both way off track and took the comments the the wrong dirrection.