Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
yaristeacher
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback
Question problems starting my yaris

I have had my yaris for about 2 years, and i have had no problems with it up until the past few months. if it rains and i haven't driven my car in a few days (i car pool to work), my car will not start!!!!! lately, i have to start it up every single day!!!!! my roomate says it is not the battery because the electrical things on the dashboard will light up and the radio is on. BUT if it isn't the battery why does it start once i've jumped it and let it run for a few minutes?!?!?! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yaristeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Its the battery YT, the dash will light up because it still has a little power, but if you someone to jump start you car to run, then its the battery. You can try this while your car is running take of the positive and disconnect it, if the car shuts off its the alternater, try it and W/B. Now if the car is still running have the battery replaced.
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
I suggest pushing the clutch in, then trying to start it.

Edit: In all seriousness though, why don't you turn off all the electrical stuff before you shut your car off? Like the fans, lights, radio, AC, all that stuff. I turn off everything before my car is turned off, just a better idea if you ask me.

Last edited by Black_griffin6; 07-05-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Thai_Dang

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5-Door LB AT MM
Get a new battery, they're cheap. if you don't drive your car often the battery loses charge, until it can't even start your car anymore. My friend went to the military and asked a friend to routinely start his car for him and drive it around.
Thai_Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
Wowzers78

Drives: 2007 Silver 3dr hatch
I concur, get a new battery.

Same thing happened to me right after 2 years...I bought the battery for the Tundra from the dealership and conditioned it when I first got it!! Overkill is great!!

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Wowzers78

Drives: 2007 Silver 3dr hatch
And welcome to the forum by the way!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
big lo

Yaris teacher, are you out there, please let us know on results or anything positive happened with your vehicle.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Check the battery connections. Take off the cables and scrape the metal surfaces of the cable ends and the battery posts so you can be sure that the cables are making good contact. There can be corrosion on the surfaces that you can't see. That can degrade the connection just enough to prevent the starter from turning over, but not enough to affect the lights and accessories.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Might not hurt to check the fuse box as well. I had a odd headlight problem and it was a blown fuse (someone had put the wrong amp rated fuse in and it blew). but from what your saying sound like something related to the battery or alternator, most likely the battery. If you have an autozone they do free battery testing. I believe walmart still does this too, even if they are a evil empire.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
If your junpin it and it's a startin...just get a new battery.

Least expensive/least time consuming thing to do .
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
Its the battery YT, the dash will light up because it still has a little power, but if you someone to jump start you car to run, then its the battery. You can try this while your car is running take of the positive and disconnect it, if the car shuts off its the alternater, try it and W/B. Now if the car is still running have the battery replaced.
Disconnecting the battery while the car is running is a very bad idea. The battery is the only thing that holds the alternator down somewhere in the vicinity of 12V - disconnect it and it can produce hundreds of volts. You could seriously die. Even if you are lucky and avoid death, there are lots of systems in the Yaris that aren't built for high voltage. You could end up with fried electronics.

Old cars with generators had a current limiter in the voltage regulator, so removing a battery terminal was a common troubleshooting step, oh about half a century ago.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
big lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
Disconnecting the battery while the car is running is a very bad idea. The battery is the only thing that holds the alternator down somewhere in the vicinity of 12V - disconnect it and it can produce hundreds of volts. You could seriously die. Even if you are lucky and avoid death, there are lots of systems in the Yaris that aren't built for high voltage. You could end up with fried electronics.

Old cars with generators had a current limiter in the voltage regulator, so removing a battery terminal was a common troubleshooting step, oh about half a century ago.
Is that a fact, because I did it to my sedan to check the alternators response because I had a dying battery, and I m still here, with no luck, so before you try to come off as a smarty pants, check the info before posting, in other words dont hate the player hate the game. Do you feel me my dude. This is to learn from one another, no disrespect to anyone so check yourself. Holla.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
Is that a fact, because I did it to my sedan to check the alternators response because I had a dying battery, and I m still here, with no luck, so before you try to come off as a smarty pants, check the info before posting, in other words dont hate the player hate the game. Do you feel me my dude. This is to learn from one another, no disrespect to anyone so check yourself. Holla.
Suit yourself - just a warning based on decades of experience in the auto electric field. Ever seen one of those 120 volt converters for car alternators? How do they work? By disconnecting the battery from the alternator.

Just because someone disagrees with something you say doesn't mean he's disrespecting you. Don't be so touchy.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
big lo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
Suit yourself - just a warning based on decades of experience in the auto electric field. Ever seen one of those 120 volt converters for car alternators? How do they work? By disconnecting the battery from the alternator.

Just because someone disagrees with something you say doesn't mean he's disrespecting you. Don't be so touchy.
No hard feelings on my part, my bad. I was just letting you know in what I did and nothing happened, but this is not about you or me its YT who needs help, so its water under the bridge, my bad holla my dude.