Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
SPORTY13

Drives: 2013 Toyota Yaris SE
Dynamatting

So I've decided to dynamat my yaris. How do you remove the carpet? Has anyone dynamatted their yaris before? How much dynamat would I need to cover just the floor?
SPORTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
You'll have to remove the seats to completely remove the carpet to start with.

What is your ultimate goal here? There are a couple of ways to look at this; Road noise, use for car stereo, insulation. To get your surface area, see the attached picture below.

No matter what your goal is, the outcome will obviously be a quieter interior. Here's a little trick and will save you money if you prefer. Dynamat Extreme costs about $280 for 36 sq ft. That's close to $8 a sq ft. All you would need to do to provide a simple sound deadening is hop over to the Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up a few rolls of Frost King Self-Stick Foam Foil Duct Insulation (or the like). It costs around $15 to $20 for a 12"x15' roll. At the high end that would turn out to be around $1.30 a sq ft.

$1.30 per sq ft
vs
$8.00 per sq ft

I've used this on many cars from muscle cars to imports and aside from the reduced road noise, I've had cooler summers, warmer winters, and it doesn't weigh as much as the Dynamat. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (20.6 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by KCALB SIRAY; 12-04-2014 at 10:33 AM.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
WorkTL

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE
I have my floor, doors, trunk, and roof done in AlphaDamp. The roof made the biggest improvement. Floor was just front...car will never be Lexus quiet though.
WorkTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Eduardo_mty

KCALB SIRAY, do you used it only on the floor of car or also on the roof?

Last edited by Eduardo_mty; 12-04-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Eduardo_mty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
SPORTY13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
You'll have to remove the seats to completely remove the carpet to start with.

What is your ultimate goal here? There are a couple of ways to look at this; Road noise, use for car stereo, insulation. To get your surface area, see the attached picture below.

No matter what your goal is, the outcome will obviously be a quieter interior. Here's a little trick and will save you money if you prefer. Dynamat Extreme costs about $280 for 36 sq ft. That's close to $8 a sq ft. All you would need to do to provide a simple sound deadening is hop over to the Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up a few rolls of Frost King Self-Stick Foam Foil Duct Insulation (or the like). It costs around $15 to $20 for a 12"x15' roll. At the high end that would turn out to be around $1.30 a sq ft.

$1.30 per sq ft
vs
$8.00 per sq ft

I've used this on many cars from muscle cars to imports and aside from the reduced road noise, I've had cooler summers, warmer winters, and it doesn't weigh as much as the Dynamat. Hope this helps.
Going to do this mainly to get rid of road noise. Do you know where most of the noise is coming from in the yaris? On the freeway, I can barely hear people talking in the car. Are the rolls of Frost King Self-Stick Foam Foil Duct Insulation good on road noise? Thanks for replying!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
SPORTY13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkTL View Post
I have my floor, doors, trunk, and roof done in AlphaDamp. The roof made the biggest improvement. Floor was just front...car will never be Lexus quiet though.
How much did it cost you to do all that? I thought the floor would make the biggest different in road noise :O
Old 12-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo_mty View Post
KCALB SIRAY, do you used it only on the floor of car or also on the roof?
Yes, you can use it on the roof.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #8
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTY13 View Post
Going to do this mainly to get rid of road noise. Do you know where most of the noise is coming from in the yaris? On the freeway, I can barely hear people talking in the car. Are the rolls of Frost King Self-Stick Foam Foil Duct Insulation good on road noise? Thanks for replying!
As WorkTL said, the Yaris will never be Lexus quite. Most all of your noise is coming from the elements/road outside the car and generally increases the faster the tire are spinning. Let's face it, our engines also sound like sewing machines. The insulation is a good alternative and provides sound deadening. It's designed to insulate and reduce vibrations. I generally cover the floor and firewall areas. Under the headliner is always an added bonus. Using a roller just as you would with any other sound deadening material is a good idea to work around curves etc.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #9
WorkTL

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE
I did mine for my audio set up. No rattling. Helps reduce road noise some but as he said...our motor and tires are very noisy. My doors made noise straight off the lot.
WorkTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:59 AM   #10
SPORTY13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkTL View Post
I did mine for my audio set up. No rattling. Helps reduce road noise some but as he said...our motor and tires are very noisy. My doors made noise straight off the lot.
I just bought 36sq feet of dynamat extreme. Where are the best places to put it to remove maximum amount of road noise?

Last edited by SPORTY13; 12-05-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:13 AM   #11
KermitAUS

Drives: Yaris 2009
Following
KermitAUS is offline   Reply With Quote