Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
VitzBoy
Administrator

Drives: Yaris
Exclamation Toyota Yaris hot hatch on the way following WRC return!

Just in!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/...ing-wrc-return

Toyota is back in the World Rally Championship and the Yaris WRC competition car will spawn a production hot hatch

Toyota is set to join the hot hatchback ranks for the first time in more than a generation. As revealed by Auto Express in October, plans are afoot to support the firm’s newly announced rally campaign with a high-performance Toyota Yaris road car.

A teaser image shared by Toyota on its official blog shows how the model will look, with the sketch testing a model with plenty of sporty features including aero kit, bigger brakes and wheels or even a multi-coloured paint scheme. It's likely that a Toyota hot hatch will be so outlandish, but it does at least confirm that the car is on the way.

The Japanese manufacturer is using its Fiesta rival to re-enter the WRC in 2017, 17 years after it last competed in the series with the Corolla. Rallying’s rules don’t force manufacturers to make fast road cars that are linked to the competition vehicles - but Toyota’s European President & CEO has said he wants more than just a marketing tie-up to acknowledge the return to WRC.

Speaking exclusively to Auto Express, Johan van Zyl said, “It’s no use doing motorsport if you can’t reflect it in your product. What you’ll see is that we want to totally integrate it into our offering. From the European side we would like to do something - to bring something to market that will reflect our participation in WRC.

“I am also being a car person so I like to see that the people can really experience the joy of that - especially those who are real enthusiasts,” he added. “Lots of people like to wear the same Nikes as the athletes, even though they can’t run as fast.”

Any hot Yaris is likely to be based on the next generation of the car - so it won’t arrive until 2018 at the earliest. Toyota could opt to power the faster edition with a more potent version of the Yaris hybrid’s petrol-electric set-up. But another option is the 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol that features in the C-HR crossover raced by Toyota’s engineers at the Nurburgring earlier this year. That could produce up to 180bhp, giving the Yaris a motor to match the likes of the Polo GTi and Fiesta ST.

Development of the hotter Yaris could be conducted under the guise of Toyota’s Gazoo Racing sub-brand. Previously a Japan-only motorsport enterprise, Gazoo was launched in Europe at the recent 2016 Paris Motor Show, and a WRC-influenced Yaris would be an ideal way of building its image in new regions. Indeed, the division has already experimented with the Yaris; it has prepared a couple of concepts over the past few years, and one of them featured a 180bhp turbocharged engine.

Van Zyl told us, “We want to create a global feel for motorsport and Gazoo stands for us wanting to learning from motorsport, and for developing excitement around cars. If you love cars, they shouldn’t just be for getting from A to B.”
VitzBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
What's even more amazing is a long time administrator posting on YW!

WOW!

yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
What's even more amazing is a long time administrator posting on YW!

WOW!

+1000

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
They've been talking about this now for months and months. Doubt we'll see it in the States.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
They've been talking about this now for months and months. Doubt we'll see it in the States.
Sadly.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Yeah like many other cars offered in Europe that don't make it in North America. We finally got the Ford Focus RS AWD in Canada, not sure if it made it in the states.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Yeah like many other cars offered in Europe that don't make it in North America. We finally got the Ford Focus RS AWD in Canada, not sure if it made it in the states.
It did and I want it lol.

On Wheelwell
Old 12-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
It did and I want it lol.
Cool

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:04 PM   #9
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
they added a seriously huge charge to the bill and they want like $50,000USD for them. I was looking at one, they have 19" wheels. they have track tires with a UTQG of 180. I figure anyone that buys one will have to get new tires with/before the first oil change. same set of tires on Tire Rack was like $2400.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #10
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Sure, 180 bhp, but what about that awful econobox rear suspension? =P
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #11
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Hopefully they scrap it for the Auris double wishbone.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:01 AM   #12
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Pretty soon we'll be able to use "Yaris" and "performance" in the same sentance.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #13
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I'd argue the Yaris can be made to handle quite well with that "awful econobox rear suspension."

And FYI:
Abarth has a twist beam.
Fiesta ST has a twist beam.
Sonic RS has a twist beam.

Sure, a fully independent rear would be nice, but I'm pretty sure nothing just drops in (e.g. Scion iM). I'd be fine with the twist beam, personally. But give me 150+ HP, LSD, a manual transmisison, and some well bolstered seats. Keep it around $20K and I'm in.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
ern-diz

Man, those front wheels look photoshop-tiny lol. I've seen bigger wheels on a scooter!

On Wheelwell
Old 12-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
91mustang

Drives: Charcoal 2012 Yaris SE 5 Speed
I hope this thing gets built! I love the Yaris!
91mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:01 PM   #16
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
https://youtu.be/4MQbgjw42Dc
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote