Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #1
2016YARIS

Drives: 2016 Yaris
Passenger Seat Removal

Hi.. I am looking to use my 2016 Yaris L base model for a car camper. Looking to remove the passenger seat and construct a bed using a long piece of plywood.

I watched a few youtube videos on it and it looks pretty straight forward (disconnect batter, remove 4 floor bolts, disconnect the snap connectors under the seat). Seems too simple. Am I missing something? Having it blow at 2am while I am sleeping wouldn't be cool.

Thanks!

Last edited by 2016YARIS; 07-22-2021 at 06:31 PM.
2016YARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #2
MazIonOta driver
I've made a post!

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016YARIS View Post
Hi.. I am looking to use my 2016 Yaris L base model for a car camper. Looking to remove the passenger seat and construct a bed using a long piece of plywood.

I watched a few youtube videos on it and it looks pretty straight forward (disconnect batter, remove 4 floor bolts, disconnect the snap connectors under the seat). Seems too simple. Am I missing something? Having it blow at 2am while I am sleeping wouldn't be cool.

Thanks!
No, you aren't missing anything. I don't even bother to disconnect the battery when I remove mine. If the car isn't running the airbag capacitor shouldn't be charged.

I've actually done the camper conversion, it works great. I took out the whole rear seat as well as the passenger seat and used a sheet of plywood cut to fit the trunk, the back seat area then a separate piece to fill the passenger side area that is supported by two small frames to place it at the same height as the trunk. Since it is an easily removeable piece I can keep the passenger seat in the car when I'm not camping. I also got vinyl window screen and installed in under the trim work in the rear windows so I can roll down the rear windows at night when I camp. Quite comfy actually.

The only annoyance is that with the passenger seat removed there is a constant flashing warning light on the dash to tell you that the passenger side airbag is malfunctioning. I'm currently trying to figure out how to wire a jumper-plug fool the car into thinking the seat is there but have had problems finding a wiring diagram for the seat or the car harness. Planning to hit a junkyard as soon as it isn't hotter than Satan's nutsack and take a seat apart for testing. I don't want to accidently blow the airbag in the one from my car.
MazIonOta driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, seat