Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2022, 07:43 AM   #1
Hiro

Drives: 2007 Hatchback Auto
Fix Yaris 2nd time? - sitting a year after wreck

The first time my car was in a bad way:

The first time My Yaris was in a bad way was when I bought it, I got my Yaris about 2 years ago from a guy who had be living in it.
We struck the deal in a sketchy Walmart parking lot late at night, I don't know why because the car was completely trashed and sketchy. Maybe it was so far gone I thought there wasn't much left to mess up, but I think more likely because I had never even noticed these cars existed before and I must have seen some quality that I liked.

I was told it had been gutted for some kind of rally race but had ended up not being used for that… it sure looked like one would look after being raced so who knows. There was a bent control arm and the front right tire would scrape the wheel well whenever it hit any kind of small bump. The outer edge of the tire was completely bald from the misalignment. The interior was the worst part though, crack-pad is the only plain and simple way of putting it. Basically when I got this car it was on it's death bed, through much hard work though and some help I brought it back to life.

The second time it has come into a very bad way:

One fall evening I was driving some country roads and ended going off the road on a sharp right angle corner. It was raining and dark but I had gotten in the habit of feeling like a race car driver on roads I had become too comfortable with so not really the weathers’ fault.
Thankfully I was completely unharmed and the car would probably of driven away if the radiator wasn't busted. Being just a few miles from home a tow rope at low speeds me home, I didn't really want to drive the car any more but also couldn't get anyone who wanted it.

Not being worth much to sell and not wanting to driving it again because of the trauma I experience I let it sit for over a year now. I have been working on it recently just to sell but am having second thoughts of once again fixing to keep.

The car hasn't ran for a year now, after the wreck I turned it off right way as to not damage the engine. Am trying to remember but I think I did start it up briefly the next day just to see where the leak was on radiator.

Engine does crank over when supplying 12V directly to the starter solenoid signal terminal.

This is where I am at on diagnostics:
Starter/solenoid =Good
Neutral Safety Switch = Good
Fuses = Good
Relays = Starter & Ignition tested good
As I rule out potential issues I am going back over somethings like checking for any fuses I may have missed.

New battery and no crank or click, starter does turn though if bridging terminals with screwdriver.

Cheers!
Hiro.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hiro; 01-12-2022 at 01:19 AM.
Hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:03 AM   #2
CrimsonEclipse

Drives: .
Replace the lower control arms and possibly the crossmember.
There is definitely suspension damage.
CrimsonEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:03 PM   #3
Hiro

suspention damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse View Post
Replace the lower control arms and possibly the crossmember.
There is definitely suspension damage.
That Is my guess as well, nothing is visibly bent though. I had to replace the control arm when I first got the car and the front tire scraping wheel well.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:38 AM   #4
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
honestly the car looks pretty clean n solid, they arnt to plentiful in the yards here but the scions are and i hear some of the underpinnins can be swapped?
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:46 AM   #5
Hiro

Solid

There are few in the yards for sure, I wasn't able to find a new bumper so may be doing some bending and fabricating to make the old one work.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:52 AM   #6
Hiro

I got it driving today, the no start issue was a nothing. After replacing the shift cable it started right up so I think it had something to do with the shift position, probably wasn't all the way in park like I thought it was. Right now I have the radiator just hanging from the hoses just to see how it runs, next up is getting the bumper put back together. The plan is to bend the bumper back as straight as possible and plastic weld the cover. There is definitely going to be some fabricating to get everything to fit.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:55 AM   #7
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I got bondo to stick to my bumper somehow with just some 80 grit sandpaper. Epoxy might be a better deal to try first, then bondo. The best is plastic welding but I can't stand the fumes.

Nice car, it's worth fixing. I pretzeled my driver's side wheel and suspension, so bad that it popped the tire driving 20 feet. Needed a strut, control arm, tie rod(s)?, and a brake rotor because the impact was so bad it cracked it! Wheel and tire too. About 500$. Worth it!!!

I was young and that was my christmas gift against my will. You might be set for the same parts but if you do the work yourself it might just be 200$ or even less.
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:13 PM   #8
Hiro

Very Indestructible is right

Its great hearing your story and thanks for the reply.

I have been driving it around locally and plan to keep replacing parts as I have time. No issues so far except when I hit empty it started running rough so probably need to replace fuel filter and get fuel cleaned out. ignition system is also suspect... A little marvel mystery oil might do the trick on cleaning the fuel out.