Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Is this for real?
I think there's something to this... Toyota should investigate! 15 35.71%
No way! This is just another lame attempt to discredit Toyota. 27 64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Owners of Toyota Cars in Rebellion Over Series of Accidents

Scary stuff...

Quote:
Refusing to accept the explanation of Toyota and the federal government, hundreds Toyota owners are in rebellion after a series of accidents caused by what they call "runaway cars."
Safety analysts found an estimated 2000 cases in which owners of Toyota cars including Camry, Prius and Lexus, reported that their cars surged without warning up to speeds of 100 miles per hour.
Link to full article...

Last edited by tk-421; 11-07-2009 at 12:06 AM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I watched a news story about it the other night. They interviewed a guy who had it happen on a Prius and he survived. He swore that he didn't even have floor mats in the car, so it definitely wasn't the jammed floor mat.

I think it is very possible that there is a software bug that can somehow surface with the DBW throttle.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
ive been with toyota for 6 years now and HAVEN"T seen nor heard of any problems with the drive by wire system....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
It's time to start installing black boxes into cars now. While it's possible there is some obscure problem, I tend to think these people just screwed up. And like PK said there are other ways to stop a car.

Then again there's always SkyNet...
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I'm also chalking it up to stupidity induced by too much technology.

For example, it used to be quite hilly on my commute to work. One day, it snowed and I find myself stuck behind an SUV that is struggling to get up hill, tires spinning and everything. What to I do? Pop my car into L and go around. In my SATURN. COUPE. The look on her face was priceless.

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.

Last edited by Darb; 11-06-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I heard about a guy in a Lexus calling 911 as he was hitting 120 approaching an intersection with his wife in the car. They went through and got killed on impact.

Long story short, there was no throttle problem. The real issue was the floormat getting jammed over the gas pedal. It's such a common problem among many makes that it shouldn't even be considered a recall. Have to agree that this is just a bunch of haters stirring up shit because Toyota's doing better than them.

And I have to agree with PK. Throwing it in Neutral and shutting off the engine solves the stuck throttle issue and keeps you safe as long as you steer and brake towards the side of the road. It's just common sense. The guy in the Lexus was an idiot, so it cost him and his wife their lives

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Now an old school throttle can get jammed open, I did it on my Saab once. Pushed the pedal too far down and broke whatever stops it, and the car always revved. Not to something stupid, but always too about 3000 rpm's. But Drive by wire doing that? Maybe the wire broke?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
It's time to start installing black boxes into cars now. While it's possible there is some obscure problem, I tend to think these people just screwed up. And like PK said there are other ways to stop a car.

Then again there's always SkyNet...
Beleave it or not most Toyota's already have them
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
god sometimes i wish euthanasia was legal for reasons of stupidity. you dumb lazy person instead of bitching at Toyota why don't they take proper driving lessons and stop expecting the cars to do everything for them. there is more than one way to stop a car , turn the ignition off , apply the E-Brake (its called an emergency brake for a reason you dumb SOB). I'm sorry but people stupidity is getting to me. I apologize for my outburst
I agree with you except for one thing (and this is assuming that the claims are true - big assumption).

If you win the game of life you're sharp as a tack at 99 and die suddenly without pain when you're 100. For the rest of us becoming a stumbling old folk is the best we can hope for. Brand loyalty is a fine thing but a car shouldn't treat somebody's grandfather like that. Hell I don't even want my car treating me like that!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Now an old school throttle can get jammed open, I did it on my Saab once. Pushed the pedal too far down and broke whatever stops it, and the car always revved. Not to something stupid, but always too about 3000 rpm's. But Drive by wire doing that? Maybe the wire broke?
The DBW system has two separate accelerator position sensors for redundancy. If either sensor fails (or the wire to it becomes a short or open) it uses the other (and throws a DTC) if both fail it brings the engine down to idle.

With millions of these cars on the road running for zillions of miles and 2000 "possible" cases, it is a fairly low risk of occurrence issue. Reading the service manual about how the DBW works and the built in safety checks, in theory it should be as or more safe than a mechanical throttle linkage.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
some people dont do well in situations like that and they panic. i can see how it could happen especially if it happens very quickly which it usually does...im pretty sure i would know what to do but not everyone can react that fast
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDani View Post
some people dont do well in situations like that and they panic. i can see how it could happen especially if it happens very quickly which it usually does...im pretty sure i would know what to do but not everyone can react that fast
True, but if you've drilled a plan and options into your head beforehand then you're at an advantage. These others I'm sure never even considered that this could happen, nor had the opportunity to do so like we do.

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #13
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
yeah i know. they prolly havent really thought about it before. kind of reminds me of when people have no game plan for disasters like tornados,fires,etc; and end up badly hurt or killed...
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
A throttle by wire or a traditional mechanical cable conection throttle both teminate to a mechanical butterfly valve which can conceivably get stuck.

There have always been incidents where the driver claime a throttle got suck so, this is nothing new.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
I absolutely think this is a problem that Toyota needs to address, if it is THAT frequent of an issue - there is something they need to correct.

However - anyone who lost their lives becuase of not thinking "OK - the pedal is stuck ... what do I do now?" and throwing the ebrake/neutral/taking the key out are REALLY dumb. How in the hell are you going to be smart enough to make a big enough salary to afford a Lexus in the first place, but not enough smarts about you to shut the car off?! (Or, take one hand and pull back the damn floor mat)

While any life lost over something so dumb as this is extremely sad, it was something that could have been easily prevented.

People need to think about things - cars aren't perfect. They are going to fail at one point or another and you never know in what way they will - it is up to us to be prepared and handle the situation to the best of our ability when it happens. IMO, calling 911 and freaking out wasn't the answer. And, if the 911 operator couldn't think quickly enough to tell them to remove the keys or put it in neutral - that's sad so many people involved couldn't brainstorm that simple solution. It is the first thing I would ... I would willingly blow my tranny/engine/brakes/wheels in order to stop the car and keep my life.
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #16
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Side note of humor: My husband just said he calls bullshit becuase he wants to know what Toyota can even go 120mph.

...I glared at him.

lol
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #17
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
Side note of humor: My husband just said he calls bullshit becuase he wants to know what Toyota can even go 120mph.

...I glared at him.

lol
lol

anyway, seriously if the car won't slow down then apply the brake...if that doesn't work, shut the car off...Seriously there needs to be a common sense law...

are there are cars, besides Toyotas, that have been doing this? or is it just GM robot saboteurs in the shape of floor mats attacking Toyotas...
Old 11-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #18
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...in_chinat.html

hmmm, none of those were Toyotas...so it must have been drivers error, if it is a Toyota, it must be Toyota's fault