Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Is this for real?
I think there's something to this... Toyota should investigate! 15 35.71%
No way! This is just another lame attempt to discredit Toyota. 27 64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #19
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
I went to pass a car and the accelerator pedal got stuck to the floor. I was shocked when I let off and the car kept accelerating. I did not panic and just turned the car off and pulled over and sure as shit the floor mat was holding the accelerator to the floor.

I can see how this could create a very dangerous situation, especially to someone who panics and does not know how to respond or overreacts. To just say the drivers are idiots is stupid
+1

People do panic.

So, should Toyota investigate? Yes. You should always investigate reports of malfunctions, even if the malfunction is later determined to come from user error.

By the way, I had an auto tranny "jump" when I was idle, and throw the vehicle forward on me once, a long time ago, almost threw me into the wall of the post-office. (No, it was not user error, yes, it really did happened, and yes vehicles can and will surprise you at times). I still remember it like it was yesterday, all these people walking, baby strollers and stuff, and the jeep just jumping forward. I thank God I didn't hit anyone and slammed on the brakes as fast as I did and that nobody was right in front of it at the time. Pfewww
Old 11-07-2009, 02:18 AM   #20
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
By the way, I read the article and noticed that the Yaris wasn't mentioned?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #21
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

A car's brakes are always far more powerful than its engine. Stomp on them and hold the pedal down. A plaintiff attorney who handles these cases (which are common against every car manufacturer) points out that if someone in the stuck throttle situation pumps the pedal they lose vacuum in the power brake assist, because the throttle's wide open and manifold vacuum is low, and then few are strong enough to stop the car against the running engine. He also pointed out that pushbutton starts won't let you turn it off without holding the pushbutton in for something like 1.5 seconds.

What usually happens with "runaway car" scenarios is that the police on the scene find the brakes and everything else working fine. The driver has panicked, pushing on the gas pedal thinking it's the brake. Happens all the time. Watch TRU TV for lots of video examples.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #22
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Well when the car is a runaway because of a stuck throttle or what not, nothing is gonna happen by mashing the gas pedal. Trying to stop the car with the brakes is okay but you still have an engine that is revving to the max, the best thing you can do is kill the ignition and if you cannot do that fast enough then throw it in neutral, but if you do that you take the chance of blowing the motor, small price to pay to save a life though.

Your brakes may be way more powerful than its engine stock, but not if you have extensive modifications to add hp, forced induction comes to mind.
I heard that the prius and camry are the most turbo'ed cars out there.

You know cause the Prius can just shoot to 90 mph...with the turbo...
Old 11-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #23
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I doubt seriously that your turboed Yaris can spin its wheels as you stand on the brake pedal.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #24
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I may be wrong, but I doubt they can do that with the brakes fully applied, the driver pushing as hard as (s)he can on the brake pedal. Rear brakes, however, only have about 30% of the total stopping power on most cars.

Anyway, the point has been made in this thread that noone should ever drive a car without considering things like what you'll do if the throttle sticks. Several good options have been mentioned. Those who plan ahead don't panic and die.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #25
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Beleave it or not most Toyota's already have them
That might explain one of the dealership's e-mails to me back when my first service was due...they listed my exact current mileage and asked me to bring the vehicle in for its free complimentary oil change.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #26
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
lol Camry's get supercharged quite a bit. TRD sells a supercharger for the v6 engine. Sweet thing.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #27
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The DBW system has two separate accelerator position sensors for redundancy. If either sensor fails (or the wire to it becomes a short or open) it uses the other (and throws a DTC) if both fail it brings the engine down to idle.

With millions of these cars on the road running for zillions of miles and 2000 "possible" cases, it is a fairly low risk of occurrence issue. Reading the service manual about how the DBW works and the built in safety checks, in theory it should be as or more safe than a mechanical throttle linkage.

Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Seriously though, I'm totally using this as an excuse on my next speeding ticket.
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #28
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
It would be funny if it wasn't true
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 AM   #29
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Seriously though, I'm totally using this as an excuse on my next speeding ticket.
First rule of recalls ..... we don't talk about recalls ..........
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #30
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Well, Toyota could offer me a big break kit in lieu of a recall...

(Rims and rear disc swap included, of course.)

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
This is what they are actually going to give you:

and:

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #32
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB

OMG that was priceless right there...
Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #33
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Holy crap you guys..

First, If your car's accelerator gets stuck, ignore everything you've read, and

1) put it into neutral, your car will be just fine bouncing off the rev limiter
2) slowly apply the brakes and pull of the road
3) turn the car off AFTER you come to a stop.

If you just turn the car off you lose your power brakes and steering...

Second, you know this whole story is bull shit when you read this-

She was driving her Toyota Prius outside Denver, CO when she says it suddenly shot up to 90 miles an hour, even though her foot was on the brake and not the gas pedal.

A prius can NOT "suddenly" shoot up to 90. Its just not gonna happen. There is no failure besides the floormat, that will prevent the brakes from working.

I agree, the whole story more propaganda from the US media and carmakers... Every foreign recall is a top story on the news for weeks, while domestic recalls are ignored across the board.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #34
EleKid
Eugenie たでし

Drives: '09 Blazing Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
I heard about a guy in a Lexus calling 911 as he was hitting 120 approaching an intersection with his wife in the car. They went through and got killed on impact.

Long story short, there was no throttle problem. The real issue was the floormat getting jammed over the gas pedal. It's such a common problem among many makes that it shouldn't even be considered a recall. Have to agree that this is just a bunch of haters stirring up shit because Toyota's doing better than them.

And I have to agree with PK. Throwing it in Neutral and shutting off the engine solves the stuck throttle issue and keeps you safe as long as you steer and brake towards the side of the road. It's just common sense. The guy in the Lexus was an idiot, so it cost him and his wife their lives
Did you know he was a cop? Highway Patrol, isn't that weird
EleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #35
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleKid View Post
Did you know he was a cop? Highway Patrol, isn't that weird
Sadly, being a cop doesn't necessarily mean someone's an expert driver. There are lots of cops toting guns who barely know how to use them, too.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #36
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
is it an auto only problem, or does it happen to manuals as well.... I'd think a wierd issue like this might be more likely to happen in a DBW system with an auto than a manual... but maybe not.

Amen for ignition off.... wait 1 second, then ignition to acc to restory power to steering and brakes.

Funny to think... hypermiler techniques might save lives in this instance... usually people say hypermiler techniques put lives in danger.