Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
AutoXBot

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB
2009 4dr. LB Speaker Wiring Question

I just wired my 2009 4dr LB with some new Polk audio DB651s speakers. I refered to the notes from the sticky post in this forum:

"LF Speaker +/- pink - purple +,- radio harness
RF Speaker +/- gray - blue +,- radio harness
LR Speaker +/- red - white +,- radio harness
RR Speaker +/- red - white +,- radio harness"

I used some Raptor 16 gauge speakers wires from Autozone. It had two colored wires - 1 red, 1 clear. The red had copper inside, so I'm thinking this is the positive and the clear one has aluminum wiring (for ground)?

Just want to make sure I soldered the right wires together correctly:

LF speaker: pink wire to red speaker wire, purple wire to clear wire.
RF speaker: gray wire to red speaker wire, blue wire to clear wire.
LR speaker: red wire to red speaker wire, white wire to clear wire.
RR speaker: red wire to red speaker wire, white wire to clear wire.

Thanks for the help/input guys!!!
AutoXBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
On the RF speaker, wouldn't blue be a power wire and gray the ground wire? Do not interpret this question in any way as advice or knowledge. I'm as clueless as anyone.

As I understand it you can reverse the wires on a speaker, and still play music with it, but it will sound bad.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
AutoXBot

Thanks for the reply. I basically followed the chart as it was listed on the sticky. Whatever the first color stated, I used as the positive.

The speakers all around seem/sound okay - no distortion. I just don't want it short-circuiting or malfunctioning on me 'cause I wired 'em the wrong way.

Any other input/help is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
On the RF speaker, wouldn't blue be a power wire and gray the ground wire? Do not interpret this question in any way as advice or knowledge. I'm as clueless as anyone.

As I understand it you can reverse the wires on a speaker, and still play music with it, but it will sound bad.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXBot View Post
I just wired my 2009 4dr LB with some new Polk audio DB651s speakers. I refered to the notes from the sticky post in this forum:

"LF Speaker +/- pink - purple +,- radio harness
RF Speaker +/- gray - blue +,- radio harness
LR Speaker +/- red - white +,- radio harness
RR Speaker +/- red - white +,- radio harness"

I used some Raptor 16 gauge speakers wires from Autozone. It had two colored wires - 1 red, 1 clear. The red had copper inside, so I'm thinking this is the positive and the clear one has aluminum wiring (for ground)?

Just want to make sure I soldered the right wires together correctly:

LF speaker: pink wire to red speaker wire, purple wire to clear wire.
RF speaker: gray wire to red speaker wire, blue wire to clear wire.
LR speaker: red wire to red speaker wire, white wire to clear wire.
RR speaker: red wire to red speaker wire, white wire to clear wire.

Thanks for the help/input guys!!!
Not sure why one wire would look aluminum and the other like copper, but besides that the connections look correct. As long as you connected them properly to the speakers' terminals they should sound fine.
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
AutoXBot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccurrent View Post
Not sure why one wire would look aluminum and the other like copper, but besides that the connections look correct. As long as you connected them properly to the speakers' terminals they should sound fine.

Thanks DCcurrent. The speakers wires were from Autozone - cheapies. The Polks had a + terminal and - terminal. I soldered the red wire with copper to the + terminal and the clear wire with aluminum to the - terminal.