Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
AutoTech1

Drives: None yet
Yaris HB base model availability...

I live up in NY, and I highly consider the Yaris as a first new car. I went to the toyota dealership, but I only found one yaris. And it was the sedan, fully loaded at about 15k... A little bit more than that. Is it usual to find 1 yaris at a dealership? What's wrong? Is everyone buying them, or did they not make enough yet? I want to get this car as a first new car a year from now. There should be more at the dealership by then, right???
AutoTech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I would think so by then.

I've been told that Toyota is currently planning on selling the Yaris at about a 70:30 ratio (sedan to hatch). Regardless of what we as enthusiasts prefer, the smart money is on Toyota knowing what they're doing in this regard. I don't know about Canadian preferences (we have plenty of Canadians on the board), but it seems most Americans prefer sedans over hatchbacks.

I'll take a hatchback any day, please...

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
AutoTech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
I would think so by then.

I've been told that Toyota is currently planning on selling the Yaris at about a 70:30 ratio (sedan to hatch). Regardless of what we as enthusiasts prefer, the smart money is on Toyota knowing what they're doing in this regard. I don't know about Canadian preferences (we have plenty of Canadians on the board), but it seems most Americans prefer sedans over hatchbacks.

I'll take a hatchback any day, please...
Yeah. Same here. I'm a hb fan.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Scoot

Drives: '07 Yaris liftback
Several import hatchbacks have not done well here (U.S.) in the past. This is probably what is driving Toyota towards bringing in more sedans than HB's. It does seem like many people on this board are more interested in the HB so maybe Toyota will rethink their marketing strategy.
For what it's worth I have a deposit down at my dealer for a Hatch myself. He has several sedans in stock but sold the only hatch before I got there. The dealer said I should take delivery around the 1st of June.

peace
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
a hatch is a really practical car, you can fit some big shit in the back with the seats down, stuff that won't fit in a trunk

also, i'm not very impressed with the yaris sedan, too much like a mazda 3/6 on the front
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
My dealer is selling every Yaris that hits the lot, often times before they hit. It will be months before you can walk on to a lot and see a wide selection of Yari. Just order one.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
jah

Drives: Hatch
Yep, apparently hatchbacks don't do too well in America. Last year I was able to get a Civic SI HFP (Honda Factor Performance) for what Consumer Reports said was Dealer cost (less holdbacks). Normally a SI would sell marked up, but when Honda went to the hatch, the "civic-nation" rejected it. I on the other hand loved it right up to me totalling it
Any way I picked up a hatch Yaris last week, definetly had to hunt it down. I looked at 5 different dealers, all had at least one sedan, some two, but only two had hatch's.
Here is a pic of the SI, and my new red Hatch (more pic's in the "official Red" thread)
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=4994#post4994

Later
Jerry
Attached Images

Last edited by jah; 04-29-2006 at 05:49 PM.
jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:53 PM   #8
AutoTech1

There is a hatchback near where I live... At a dealership. But it's automatic and I'd want manual. Even if I did want the auto, which I don't, I'd have to wait anyways, because I don't have as much money saved as I'd want.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:10 AM   #9
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
Having owned a Civic, how do you think teh Yaris now compares? Better/ Worse in what ways ??? Not many people go away from Honda or Toyota once they have owned one :P Instead, you seem to have swapped! :P
Old 05-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
jah

Drives: Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33dY
Having owned a Civic, how do you think teh Yaris now compares? Better/ Worse in what ways ??? Not many people go away from Honda or Toyota once they have owned one :P Instead, you seem to have swapped! :P
The Civic SI was definetly in the "sportscar" class, it had 160HP out of the gate, I put a borla exhaust, and K&N CAI, did pep it up noticebly. The SI had really nice suede seats that wrapped around you, and with the HFP (Honda Factory Performance, basically Hondas TRD ) suspension/17" low profile tires and aerokit, it was a $20K car. The Yaris is in a different class altogether, with a 100HP it just doesn't have the get-up and go the Si had . I love the Yaris hatch so far, and loved the SI for the Year I had it, right up till I totaled it . My first new car was a CRX Si, so last year when I was looking to get a new car I looked at the Civic Si, and Scion Xa. After driving both, the Si just had more punch so went with it. This time around, I looked at the Xa and the Yaris hatch, the Yaris just flat out looked cooler to me, and was less expensive to boot
I have the TRD springs/shocks, and rear spoiler on order, so while I won't get to the 170HP mark with the Yaris, maybe with the TRD suspension I can get to the same firm ride I loved in the Si
Later
Jerry
jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I waited for a month for my manual hb to come in. Give them 6 months and their will be plenty of Yarises around.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I've been to two local dealers, and they had one auto hatch and one auto sedan. I haven't been to my dealer yet. I guess they have several.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote