Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-09-2020, 11:07 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Upper Door Hinge Replacement

No pics for this one as it's a job I hope to forget and never remember again. I bought a hinge a couple of weeks ago as my driver's door had a little play in it. You could see the little bushing had backed out of the hinge assembly. I primed and painted the hinge in Silver Streak Mica, just like the car.

This job can be done with the front quarter panel on the car. I didn't want to remove it because I would have had to remove my side skirts completely and reinstall them which would involve a lot of 3M tape or an expensive gasket kit. I pulled the top of the bumper cover out, removed the headlight, took out the top quarter panel screws and gently pried out the top of the quarter panel, placing a short section of rubber hose to hold the quarter panel out. I had to completely removed the door in order to access the body hinge bolts. About an hour later, I had the door back on and, of course, there was a big gap at the front and the back of the door hit the body. I had placed the hinge back in the same spot based on the remnant sealant lines from the original hinge installation. So, off came the door again and I moved the hinge a touch forward. This solved the gaps. Then there were adjustments to bring the top of the door out to line up with the top of the quarter panel.

My advice...pay a dealer or other shop to do this! It's a terrible job. Probably much easier if you remove the quarter panel.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote