Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
That is one thing I do not like about the Yaris, not having a temp guage. I know the scanguage would show but hate to spend that much. Is there a way to install a sending unit for an aftermarket guage?
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
That is one thing I do not like about the Yaris, not having a temp guage. I know the scanguage would show but hate to spend that much. Is there a way to install a sending unit for an aftermarket guage?
You can either mount the sender in place of the OEM one or use one of the adapters where you cut the radiator hose and install it in line (like the pic below). By the time you spend $50 for a decent gauge (or the same as a SGII for a good one) and go through the hassle of installing it, you'd be better off with the SG.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You can either mount the sender in place of the OEM one or use one of the adapters where you cut the radiator hose and install it in line (like the pic below). By the time you spend $50 for a decent gauge (or the same as a SGII for a good one) and go through the hassle of installing it, you'd be better off with the SG.

You can't remove the OEM temp sensor. You would need to add a t-fitting and add an aftermarket sensor while still retaining the OEM sensor. I tried just replacing the OEM sensor with an aftermarket one when I did my other gauges install and I got a CEL P0118 and the car wouldn't start or when it did the idle was very low and the engine would stall. I put the OEM sensor back in and everything worked perfectly.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You can't remove the OEM temp sensor. You would need to add a t-fitting and add an aftermarket sensor while still retaining the OEM sensor. I tried just replacing the OEM sensor with an aftermarket one when I did my other gauges install and I got a CEL P0118 and the car wouldn't start or when it did the idle was very low and the engine would stall. I put the OEM sensor back in and everything worked perfectly.
Correct. You can't completely eliminate the OEM one, unless you replace it with a resistor to fool the ECM into thinking it's there.