Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Bluer

Drives: Metro, R1150R
I want to buy a Yaris, but some questions linger...

First off; hello everyone! My first post here after reading the threads for a couple of days, and this is clearly a knowledgeable group. So I was hoping you would help me with some concerns I have before buying (probably tomorrow):

I have read that the 2009 Yaris has a CANbus system. Does this mean it will be difficult to add accessories as I wish? e.g., aftermarket cruise control (it is not stock on the model I want) or is it possible, and advisable to have the dealer install one OEM?

Is there any maintenance that ONLY the dealer can perform? I prefer to do my own and have experience (I do my own water pumps, timing belts, clutches, etc.)

What does LB mean please? I see it in some posts...

I want to get window deflectors and mud guards. Is there a certain brand or type that is preferred here?
Do either affect FE?

Thanks for all your help, and I hope to be a new owner this week!
Dave
Bluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
LB=Lift Back aka hatch back.

As for the rest I can not safely answer. Others will I am sure.

Welcome to YW!!
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Bluer

D'oohhh! Thanks Zing!
Old 01-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
Don't worry, I caught on like a week after I joined haha.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
I have weathertech brand wind deflectors they work pretty good I think. No change in FE.
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
All the maintenance you mentioned can be performed without going to the dealer. If it's a warrenty you are worried about with OE applications, you can have the dealer install those items. Water pumps and belts are easy to change and pose no problems with our cars. Obviously if you pull a clutch before, you know what it takes and what needs to drop before you proceed. If you have the space, time and tools, you are going to save plenty of cash in the process. Good luck and can't wait to see any mods if you plan on it.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Cruise is a DIY from TRDSparks... http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1947

Takes you about 2 hours.

Maintenance ........... If you want to reprogram anything in the ecu only toyota techs have access.

The scan gauge II gives you great access to codes if needed and many of us have them installed in the obd port full time.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
In Canada, LE model comes standard with mudguard. Window deflectors would look good on 2dr LB and is accessory item.

I'd avoid ABS, especially if you want to cheapen the cost of owning. I haven't checked recently, but aftermarket cruise control is available, however, it might only work on models that are equipped with the power package (as per my dealership).
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
In Canada, LE model comes standard with mudguard. Window deflectors would look good on 2dr LB and is accessory item.

I'd avoid ABS, especially if you want to cheapen the cost of owning. I haven't checked recently, but aftermarket cruise control is available, however, it might only work on models that are equipped with the power package (as per my dealership).
He is in the USA............

ABS is now STANDARD.........

Cruise will work regardless of power package or not..... they are not tied together in any way.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
Bluer

You are a mind reader Bob. Although I did not mention it, my thoughts must have come through; I wish there were a way to defeat the "black box" capabilities of the ECU-not that I have anything to be concerned about, just Orwellian paranoia.
Thank you for the cruise link, I needed that!
I have looked closely at the Scanguage but, mmmmmm...for me that would be like buying an iMac to know the time. There must be a simpler way to display empeegees.

Thanks all! I'll let you know how it goes. It is a very good time to buy.

Last edited by Bluer; 01-26-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
cfiimei

Drives: Sedan
Easy access to oil filter, alternator, starter, battery, compressor. Part of the reason I bought this car was because I could reach these things. Oil changes are a breeze - you don't even have to jack the thing up! The maint. schedule reads "change oil and filter" over and over until you finally get to "change spark plugs" at some obscenely high mileage... don't waste your money on dealer service unless you really don't know the difference between a spark plug and a piston. I put the aftermarket cruise on mine... works on all years so far. Make sure you get the right one (auto or manual)... works fantastic. There seems to be a lot of aftermarket "bling" parts available for these things, if you are into that. You can download the entire factory service manual for free.
cfiimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiimei View Post
You can download the entire factory service manual for free.
Oh? Where? I'd like to download it. I found a link to a copy for $20, but can't find a free link. Is it a legit download?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
Bluer

There is a zip file in post #98 by Alexnet0 which contains the complete manual in this thread I believe.
I have not downloaded it yet but that is what it appears to be. Nice guy to host it
Old 01-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
TO BLUER: we have a DIY section as well....

also in the 'downloads for members section' there is the manual provided by ETIMAGO....

also here is a quick reference ACRONYM thread....***COUGH*** can't someone sticky this?***COUGH***<<<LINK
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
cfiimei

Drives: Sedan
I downloaded the manual (all of the PDF files) and they are great. Use the edit-search function to find what you are looking for once you have a file open. Note that the manual is designed for a Toyota dealer service center, and often calls for odd Toyota tools and things you might not have handy. Still, priceless to DIY folks.
cfiimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #16
ulmaitre
Banned

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiimei View Post
Easy access to oil filter, alternator, starter, battery, compressor. Part of the reason I bought this car was because I could reach these things. Oil changes are a breeze - you don't even have to jack the thing up! The maint. schedule reads "change oil and filter" over and over until you finally get to "change spark plugs" at some obscenely high mileage... don't waste your money on dealer service unless you really don't know the difference between a spark plug and a piston. I put the aftermarket cruise on mine... works on all years so far. Make sure you get the right one (auto or manual)... works fantastic. There seems to be a lot of aftermarket "bling" parts available for these things, if you are into that. You can download the entire factory service manual for free.

Iridium spark plugs...change every 100,000 miles
ulmaitre is offline   Reply With Quote