Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
US 2012 Scion iQ - First Drive - starting @ $16K (ouch)- 36/37 MPG (meh)

From MotorTrend....

Inching along in shoulder-to-shoulder rush hour traffic in a roaring city with pedestrians swarming crosswalks -- all while desperately searching for a parking space -- is nobody's idea of a good time. Scion has a proposition for urban dwellers in the form of its new 2012 Scion iQ city car.

The Toyota iQ (the car the Scion is based upon) is not a new car. The Scion version is -- technically. Designed to blend into densely populated cityscapes, the iQ does everything small, but in a big way. Dimensionally, it's slightly bigger than a Smart Fortwo, but it's still a runt when placed next to a Camry. While its size is the iQ's most eye-catching asset, it presents inherent packaging dilemmas. It's not just the challenge of stuffing 4 seats for 3.5 people in between a wheelbase shorter than a Lotus Elise's (78.7 versus 90.6 inches). There's also the engine and associated running gear, suspension (front MacPherson strut, rear torsion beam), and interior amenities to cram in, and some empty space for cargo. It demands expert engineering.

We're pleased to report the latest addition to the Scion family fulfills its city duties to a tee, though we're certain our first drive was helped immensely by the venue. San Francisco is a very romantic city -- after all, Frank Sinatra left his heart there. The rolling hills are steeped in history and cable car tracks, and it's one of the most culturally diverse locations on Earth. The City by the Bay is also home to a criss-cross set of roadworks that makes more logical sense in some neighborhoods (mostly in the west side) than others. Plenty of 1-way streets, pedestrian crowds, interconnected residential and commercial communities, aggressive public bus drivers, and never-ending construction stand ready to confound out-of-towners. With the iQ at our disposal, we dived straight in.

The sheetmetal blends into the import car-friendly locale beautifully, quickly finding its place among the Japanese and European locals. Still, we noticed more than a few onlookers on the sidewalks pointing and giving the stubby Scion double takes. Publicity acquired.

There's a special engine stowed below the pint-sized hood. The iQ receives Toyota's 1st North American application of the 1NR-FE, a port-injected 1.3-liter inline-4 offering 94 horsepower and 89 lb-ft of torque. It's recessed neatly toward the firewall and takes up barely any room in the engine bay. The tiny Scion is just 1 of 3 cars on sale today in the U.S. with fewer than 100 horsepower.

In our modern world of 300-horsepower, 30-highway-mpg vehicles, it feels intuitive to dismiss the iQ as underpowered. But offsetting the low power figures is a Scion-claimed 2150-pound curb weight, made possible in part by a front differential matched to a lightweight continuously variable transmission -- there will be no manual shifting option for the U.S. The diff is essentially flipped over for the sake of packaging, and the half-shafts are moved forward from their conventional locations. The air-conditioning unit is installed directly behind the center stack to conserve precious space. The plastic, 8.5-gallon gas tank is a shallow 4.72 inches deep and mounted beneath the iQ's floor like a pancake, helping to contribute to the car's short 120.1-inch length. When fully fueled, the requisite 87-octane combustible liquid should contribute no more than around 52 pounds to the bottom line.

Think the teensy tank will barely get you through the week? The estimated 36/37 mpg city/highway looks more appropriate for a hybrid, given the narrow ratings spread, and offers a maximum hypothetical range of 314.5 miles. Even when getting lost around San Fran, there was more than enough gas to play with, and we crossed the Golden Gate Bridge twice to venture north into Sausalito and the Muir Woods National Monument area. In the city proper, 94 horses and the smooth-operating CVT felt more than capable of jumping from stoplight to stoplight, even when hills entered the picture. On the 101 freeway heading in and out of Marin County, the 1.3-liter struggled for power at 55 mph and beyond, encouraging deep accelerator pedal depressions to hold constant speed. The alternative highway driving method is to slip the CVT into the S or B "gears," which tell the CVT to relentlessly vary its 2 pulleys to clutch engine speed to about 4000 or 6000 rpm, respectively.

The electric steering has quick reactions but doesn't offer much feedback from the car's 175/60-16 tires. Because of its compressed measurements, the iQ can be susceptible to pull and wander from road disturbances such as dips, grooves, and cable car tracks. The ride feels firm, yet there's obvious body movement in the corners. The fact that the rear shock absorbers are canted backwards (reducing damping efficiency but also freeing up more backseat hip room) may partially explain the road feel. However, it feels remarkably secure at highway speeds with no noticeable crosswinds to terrorize us.

The iQ is pretty good in its element. Because the wheels are splayed as far out to the corners as possible, it has a 25.8-foot turning circle, so pouncing on a parking spot across the street is a cinch. There's no getting around the fact that the 4th seat is for a child; luckily, the 3rd seat is actually usable. The front passenger seat is located slightly ahead of the driver's seat and is specially shaped to allow additional rear leg and knee room. But what about that front passenger, you ask? Due to the asymmetric dashboard and deep footwell, there's room to sit. And even with the seat slid all the way forward, the driver's view of the side mirror always remains unobstructed.

The diminutive Scion will have 11 standard airbags: 2 front passenger, 2 front seat-mounted side, 2 seat cushion, 2 front knee, 2 side curtain, and 1 rear window. Safety has become 1 those intrinsic things we just expect from modern-day cars, especially small cars like the iQ, and if worth were measured in the number of airbags, the iQ would be much larger.

Production of the first all-new car for Scion at least since 2004 begins in August, and starting in October, the iQ will be available for $15,995. The base cost includes a mandatory $730 delivery, processing, and handling fee, and complimentary Scion Service Boost that covers factory-scheduled maintenance for two years or 25,000 miles. Only West Coast Scion patrons will have iQ access at first, and the delayed rollout will continue in waves into 2012. The eastern U.S. follows California and company before the Midwest and inner parts of the country will take stock by March 2012.

2012 Scion iQ
BASE PRICE $15,995
VEHICLE LAYOUT Front-engine, FWD, 4-pass, 2-door hatchback
ENGINE 1.3L/94-hp/89-lb-ft DOHC 16-valve I-4
TRANSMISSION cont. variable auto
CURB WEIGHT 2150 lb (mfr)
WHEELBASE 78.7 in
LENGTH X WIDTH X HEIGHT 120.1 x 66.1 x 59.1 in
0-60 MPH 11.8 sec (mfr est)
EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON 36 / 37 mpg (est)
ENERGY CONSUMPTION, CITY/HWY 94 / 91 kW-hrs/100 miles (est)
CO2 EMISSIONS 0.53 lb/mile (est)
ON SALE IN U.S. October 2011

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
ChitownY@Ris

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan
Nice post. Unfortunately, overpriced imo. A base model 2012 Jetta retails at $16k. Dear Scion, Good luck with that.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Kal-El

Some comments...

- Notice the unique to Scion front bumper - not bad

- Disappointed that it starts at $16K. Yeah, it's a "premium" micro car with many "firsts" but still. This will be a tough sell in America where you can choose from dozens of much bigger cars for less $.

- Even though 36/37 rating narrowly beats the Smart's MPG, it's still disappointing for such a tiny Toyota. Seems as though small stubby cars can't get stellar hwy mpg because of aerodynamic restraints. Big Elantra, Cruze, and Focus get 40!!

- Kinda surprised this comes with steelies/wheel covers with the $16K base price. At least there 16's, but for the price I'd expect alloys.

- Will it sell? Sure, probably better than the Smart Fortwo, but not a whole lot more. This will be nothing more than a fun niche car, or for tight living city dwellers.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
SailDesign

Drives: .
CVT only? Pass.

Saw a Fiat 500 up close and in person today - FAR better machine, likely to be my next car if and when the Yaris bites the dust or disintegrates.

But that's just my 2 cents.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Cool car but only worth maybe $12k in my opinion. My Yaris was cheaper than this IQ and there's a handfull of other cars I could pick up for the same price or even slightly cheaper. I do believe the Hyundai Elantra and Accent start at the that $16k price and get BETTER gas mileage while still being a much bigger size.

Come on Toyota, first you drop the ball on sports cars and now your dropping it on this? :(
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Kal-El

More pics (with typical Scion wheel covers)...

Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
Kal-El

Nice video review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYXrbjp5irQ
Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
yup...the starting price is what I paid for my S Sedan in 06 for the 07 model. they are botching this launch big time. unless someone NEEDS the pint size they will skip it for one of the many other offerings both foreign and domestic.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Last summer in France I checked out the IQ at a dealership. In France the IQ is offered with three engines - 1KR-FE (3 cylinder, 1.0 L), 1NR-FE (4 cylinder, 1.3L {the one we are getting}), and the D-D4 diesel. With the 3 cylinder 1KR-FE engine, fuel economy is rated at 46 MPG, and the diesel is 50 MPG.

Toyotas seem to typically get better mileage than rated, so the 37 MPG will probably yield 45+ for the average driver, but it still seems like from a marketing prospective that the 1.0L or Diesel would have made more sense to bring here.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

Drives: 2008 Yaris, White Hatchback
i think i'll stick with my yaris :]!!
xbr3akd0wnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Agree , is a bit costly . Should be able to get the "C" hybrid for a few grand more .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
FIRST one we do up with alloy's and those 16's are mine.....
ROCKLANDTOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The SCION will likely have no or very little discount . The base model 2011 FIT with 5 speed auto we got was little less than $16,500 and is averaging close to 38 m.p.g.. Hope the gas mileage bumps up as it breaks in more , less than 3,000 miles on it .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #14
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
CVT only? Pass.

Saw a Fiat 500 up close and in person today - FAR better machine, likely to be my next car if and when the Yaris bites the dust or disintegrates.

But that's just my 2 cents.
ive driven about 5 fiat 500's now and am deciding between it and the new accent hatch. the fiat 500 is built like a tank and is an absolute joy to drive and can be had for $15,500. it also has a (somewhat) useable back seat.

my heart says get the 500. my brain says the accent hatch (it is compact sized on the inside and looks really sharp, IMO). the 500 will give me very little functionality......but, oh...the fun.

i may just wait and see how the reliability goes with fiat and also see if they expand their dealer network. my closest dealer at the moment would be 130 miles away.

anyway, i think anyone who wants to spend $16 k on a tiny car should look hard at the fiat 500.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Nice little car, but overpriced. And... that stupid Scion name!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
solarVitz

Drives: 08 Yaris S Liftback
Send a message via AIM to solarVitz Send a message via Yahoo to solarVitz
It does look good I like it. If they offer manual transmission maybe, maybe ill get one. If not imma just keep my yaris forever. CVT is just so boring in my driving life hahaha.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #17
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
It is better than the smart in every way. But unless they choose to drop the Yaris from the US, it will only be a city car. Heck, that price it competes with the Corolla too, which gets better gas mileage as well.