Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I HATE THE STOCK CD PLAYER

MAN this thing blows. it skips easily, and when it does skip 80% of the time it results in the unit freezing up, sometimes unable to use the dumb cd function for days at a time.

BUT now I have reason to believe that this thing randomly plays an extremely distorted signal. On the 1st day after buying this car my right front speaker started playing really distorted bass, though the speaker blew... but the next day it played perfectly fine.

Again today, driving to work I get crazy distorted bass, this time through at least one of my two 8" subs.... figured I somehow blew it.

WORK 8 HRS

get ready to drive to the climbing gym from work and the subs play perfectly fine.

Could be the sub on the virge of dying, but thats now TWICE that i've had something like this happen.... only constant is the CD player.

Can't wait to get my 4" speakers and start doing glass work so I can ditch that deck, install mine, and install the rest of my gear.

Anybody else have weird issues with the stock deck?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
What are you waiting for to swap out that deck?

Altho, you shouldn't be having that much trouble with it... is everything grounded corretly?

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
What are you waiting for to swap out that deck?

Altho, you shouldn't be having that much trouble with it... is everything grounded corretly?
i think there might be a cracked solder connection inside the deck for some reason.... i dunno.... but yeah.... it prolly is a bad connection, just not one I can get to without voiding a waranty.

the reason why i'm waiting....

My deck has no internal amp.
My mid's will be glassed in the kicks.
the stock front locations will have 8" midbass drivers in them, but I shouldn't hook those up till I get them all sound deadened.
Until I get the glass work done, there's no point installing a new deck because i'll go from finicky deck.... to no sound ever.

And car stereo is taking a back seat to my HT project right now.... time to by a sub and amp so I can make my HT sub to match the 50" tower speakers and 32" LCD.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
Letsrock

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Well dont put up with crap, get a hold of dealer/Toyota and get sometype of compensation. Even if they give you a new radio (that you dont like) sell it on eBay.
Letsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
which stock player do you guys get ? non mp3?? i want pics
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
It's under warranty.......

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
mine randomly keeps discs for days at a time, unable to eject or use them. i very rarely use cd's so it's not a big deal, but it was annoying when friends would want to listen to cd's and i was like, yeah only if you want my car to eat them.

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
sportin83

Drives: 2008 blazing blue yaris LB
i only used the factory radio for like 4 days till i changed it out, and i have never looked back yet.

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

coming soon: window tint, custom sub grills, tach and........
sportin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
It's under warranty.......
hard to replicate the problem.... and honestly, I don't want the dealership touching my car unless something is actually wrong.

There was one time that I was actually on my way to the dealership to show them the weird issue, had been like 3 days since the cd function had worked. On my way there it started to work again.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
On a totally unrelated note, I just changed my HU today and noticed its made by Fujitsu Ten (makers of the Eclipse products)! Very cool if you ask me.
The Spectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsrock View Post
Well dont put up with crap, get a hold of dealer/Toyota and get sometype of compensation. Even if they give you a new radio (that you dont like) sell it on eBay.
They will probably shaft you on the warranty for any modified wiring/stereo components. Ditch that POS and get a good aftermarket deck.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
i use my mp3 player through the aux jack. mp3 player > cds
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
65tuxedo
Tuxedo

Drives: 08 Yaris hatchback
My factory unit quit within 30 minutes of purchase new. They could not have been nicer about replacing it. In fact, they called me several times to make sure I was bringing it in to be exchanged.

New unit has been great, with no problems. I don't need anything fancy but most passengers think the sound is very good, plus the aux jack is very handy.

My .02
65tuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #14
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
i got lucky...mine was a radio delete car...so...the second day of owning the car i had made my own mounting plate and was running a complete system.

BTW, was just wondering, if you are tossing 8" drivers in the door, im assuming you are modifying the plastic door cover...unless the hatches are much differant than the sedans or you found some very thin profile 8" woofers. my infinity referance drivers are 6" and using spacers only have half an inch clearance from my sedans door covers.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #15
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
i got lucky...mine was a radio delete car...so...the second day of owning the car i had made my own mounting plate and was running a complete system.

BTW, was just wondering, if you are tossing 8" drivers in the door, im assuming you are modifying the plastic door cover...unless the hatches are much differant than the sedans or you found some very thin profile 8" woofers. my infinity referance drivers are 6" and using spacers only have half an inch clearance from my sedans door covers.
4" mounting depth on my 8's... I'm not too concerned about them fitting. I might have to do some minor mods to the door panel... but hopefully I will not. It'll be closer either way. Right now HomeTheater is my main project. Weather is rainy here and I don't have a shop to work in, so spring or summer will be when I pick up on the car install.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #16
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
MAN this thing blows. it skips easily, and when it does skip 80% of the time it results in the unit freezing up, sometimes unable to use the dumb cd function for days at a time.

BUT now I have reason to believe that this thing randomly plays an extremely distorted signal. On the 1st day after buying this car my right front speaker started playing really distorted bass, though the speaker blew... but the next day it played perfectly fine.

Again today, driving to work I get crazy distorted bass, this time through at least one of my two 8" subs.... figured I somehow blew it.

WORK 8 HRS

get ready to drive to the climbing gym from work and the subs play perfectly fine.

Could be the sub on the virge of dying, but thats now TWICE that i've had something like this happen.... only constant is the CD player.

Can't wait to get my 4" speakers and start doing glass work so I can ditch that deck, install mine, and install the rest of my gear.

Anybody else have weird issues with the stock deck?
How old are you?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #17
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Dam you guys are weird =p, mine plays perfectly fine... Yeah sometimes itll skip songs on scratched up cds and sometimes itll play it perfectly.... but thats inconsistent with the cd scratches.. but whatever... It doesnt mess up like that.. it doesnt suck up cds or sound weird or stop functioning o.0

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:22 AM   #18
djgab101

Drives: toyota yaris
stupid cs radio doesn't work for shit every time i start my car it doesn't read the cd!!! the cd is new no scratches and i have to eject and put it in again and sometimes it still doesnt work ... piece of shit good for nothing!!

but i am getting a new double din visual radio!!
djgab101 is offline   Reply With Quote