Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
How Can I Fix a Door Scratch?

Hello Everyone,

Today I'm eating my sandwich when suddenly I get a call. I was told that my car had a scratch behind the driver's door, .

I went to check it out and is where the 2nd door should be ( I have a 3 door liftback). Some nice person decided to add some color to my car and a very small scratch. The scratch I was able to wipe of with a damp cloth, but it's still there. It's so small it's almost not visible.

But it looks like the other car's door left some white paint on the Yaris. I can't believe this .

Does anyone know the actual best way to repair it? It's not a big area so i believe I can do it myself. Is this threat relevant http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42687, or do you have any other methods?
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Wash the area really well. Next, (properly) clay bar the area. Then use Meguiar's Scratch-X on it. It might take several tries depending on how bad/deep the scratch is. After you are satisfied, wax the area. I'm attaching the 7" deep scratch my mom put on my side skirt. I was able to blend in the scratch (that's really what Scratch X does), but at certain angles, you'll still be able to see the groove left behind by the scratch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0669.jpg (77.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0671.jpg (76.8 KB, 88 views)
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
bairjo

If it is a deep scratch, it will need painted. Any blending or feathering will result in the removal of your clear coat and as well as the base coat. You will always see it.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
If it is a deep scratch, it will need painted. Any blending or feathering will result in the removal of your clear coat and as well as the base coat. You will always see it.
Yup, which I why I said it really just blends it. Also, as is the case for my car, my brother's car, and my friends' cars, touch up paint never matched. For my car, it actually makes the "scratch" more visible since it's lighter than my color (yes, I bought the correct paint code from the dealership). Same thing for my friends' cars. My brother's touch up paint is the closest one.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
bairjo

Never said touch up paint. To clarify a little more what I was trying to say but didn't do a good job of, the scratch will need filled and the door section will need painted. Otherwise you will always see the blemish that blending leaves and will always see the mess touch up paint leaves. And yes, blending will leave a larger more spread out imperfection in the paint...but the concentrated the scratch will be gone. It all depends on what you are willing to accept visually.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
vaironl

Quote:
Never said touch up paint. To clarify a little more what I was trying to say but didn't do a good job of, the scratch will need filled and the door section will need painted. Otherwise you will always see the blemish that blending leaves and will always see the mess touch up paint leaves. And yes, blending will leave a larger more spread out imperfection in the paint...but the concentrated the scratch will be gone. It all depends on what you are willing to accept visually.
So do I have to do this with the dealer?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
bairjo

No
Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
vaironl

Quote:
No
Allright, DIY time for me!!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
bairjo

Well, if you have experience working with auto paintng go for it. Otherwise I would take it to a pro. You don't need to go to the dealer. Fact is, some dealers will farm it out to an auto body shop. If you have never painted a car before, having your new Yaris being serial #1 may not be the best idea....just a thought.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Keep in mind that having a scratch professionally painted can get costly. So if it's a small scratch like you said, I'd either just touch it up and hope it'll match, or just blend it.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
bairjo

If it so small he can hardly see it, he may be better off just leaving it alone. I would.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
vaironl

I was thinking about doing it myself, and I love learning new stuff. But this is a bit more complex than installing something, and if I'm not wrong I can decrease the value of the car if I mess it up. I was thinking about just waiting until something like that happens again or until I trade the car.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
I was thinking about doing it myself, and I love learning new stuff. But this is a bit more complex than installing something, and if I'm not wrong I can decrease the value of the car if I mess it up. I was thinking about just waiting until something like that happens again or until I trade the car.
It really isn't hard, and you're not going to rub off the paint. I don't know of anyone ever doing that with Scratch X. I've used Scratch-X many times, and I've never had any issues.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

^ and by that I mean completely rubbing off the paint down to the panel.