Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
DOMAV
 
Drives: Yaris 09 T-spirit 1.33
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MALTA
Posts: 121
understeer

what can help understeer?? my 2009 yaris is lowered by tte springs and handles really well but have some under steer, what can i do to improve this?? thanks
DOMAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator
 
tk-421's Avatar
 
Drives: 5D-07-LB
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 4,367
rear sway bar has helped the most in my case
__________________
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brossard, QC
Posts: 3,924
just becareful with oversteer, one might not be able to handle it when it happens.
understeer can be corrected easily by slowing down.. not over.

Anyways.. to eliminate understeer, you can get a rear swaybar, or use of stiffer rear suspension. Hence the reason why you should know your spring rates before lowering.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Lazerdot
 
Lazerdot's Avatar
 
Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Euless Texas
Posts: 241
I used a TRD rear sway bar, spring and struts from TDR, Camber bolts up front. I AX as much as posible and only swung the rear end once. I'm on Kumo MX 17/215-40s which may hold the rear in. I'm planning on Penguin Spacers and Camber in the rear and have ordered the Ultra racing 23mm sway bar. This car is hard to oversteer in my opinion. On Stock tires,...maybe. Just my 2 cents for all its worth...
__________________
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...
 
ozmdd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 869
Rear swaybar makes the Yaris feel like a new car. Universally considered one of the best bang-for-buck mods you can do. Really, the Yaris should have come with one from the factory but for the fact that its marketed as a high-efficiency, low cost car.

If you had the car dropped, its almost certain that you have significant toe-in. If you haven't had a GOOD alignment done after the new springs, then I'd be willing to bet that's your problem.
My new springs, combined with camber bolts, left me with 3.9 degrees of toe-in! That was a fun drive home.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
RedRide
 
RedRide's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Middletown, NY
Posts: 1,470
Yes, a get a rear sway bar. I love mine.

About understeer vs oversteer.....
Granted, oversteer casn be dangerous and this is why manufactures bulid in understeeer.

However, we are talking about limiting understeer, not adding oversteer.
The stock Yaris definatley has excessive understeer.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: ZZW30
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,942
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
alignment, tire pressures, and lastly, a rear swaybar.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
TheRealEnth
Beast
 
TheRealEnth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,383
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
alignment, tire pressures, and lastly, a rear swaybar.
Thats the way to go, then learning how to swing the back
__________________

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #9
ddongbap
Banned
 
Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hay
Posts: 2,192
You can always find another non-full sized spare, and put two of those in the rear.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
SilverBack
Joey
 
SilverBack's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: El Monte, Ca
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
That or heavy straight-line braking with almost no trailing, followed by not-so-heavy throttle through the corners
__________________
Formerly owned Met-Met. '07 Yaris LB 5-speed.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
DOMAV
 
Drives: Yaris 09 T-spirit 1.33
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MALTA
Posts: 121
heyyyy thanks for all your help... my new 09 yaris was ordered with factory lowering springs which i belive they are TTE for eibach, i think they done the toe-in.

so i think the rear sway bar is the solution, can you sugests a good one?

and how about front upper strut will it do any differance?
DOMAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
tk-421
Super Moderator
 
tk-421's Avatar
 
Drives: 5D-07-LB
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 4,367
The TRD sway bar is 19mm, and the U*R offers it in 19mm and 23mm. I went for the 23mm and it is great (and less expensive). You can info on the bars here:

19mm:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...0&categoryId=4

23mm:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...5&categoryId=4
__________________
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: ZZW30
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,942
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
PK198105
Super Moderator
 
PK198105's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Blazing Blue
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 6,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment alignment
ummm one is enough
PK198105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: ZZW30
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,942
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
people keep mentioning parts he should buy














i wager he needs a REAL alignment








one is not enough
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #16
ddongbap
Banned
 
Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hay
Posts: 2,192
I plopped down one of those adjustable camber bolts that Garm sells. WHOA. Just, WHOA.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #17
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...
 
ozmdd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 869
The camber bolts are great, but you will REALLY need to follow Tamago's advice and get a good alignment once you install them. After NF210's and camber bolts installed at the same time, I had 3.9 degrees of toe in up front!! Can you say "tire dust?" Don't cheap-out on it either, go to NTB or a racing/tuning specialist.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,921
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
all good advice. alignment is super important for higher performance in turns. so is a rear sway bar in this car.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamago's guide to ultimate yaris handling Tamago Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 98 09-23-2017 01:35 PM
24mm sway in front and 23mm in the rear fuji Performance Modifications 28 11-13-2012 05:02 AM
Positives and negatives to hub spacers? detroiter Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 22 11-11-2009 07:37 AM
In regards to understeer....... anonymous user Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 56 05-31-2009 10:38 AM
Taking to next level and eliminate understeer regal Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 23 05-25-2009 07:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.