Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2021, 10:42 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Advice about self-installing a radio/MP3 player/CD player

Hi everybody,

I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris base model Hatchback. I have never put a radio in the car. But I want to self-install a radio/MP3 player probably with a CD player as well. I think I probably want Bluetooth capability as well. I probably want to use aftermarket electronics, because I think the brand name Toyota electronics will be expensive.

Based on looking at Youtube videos, it certainly looks like I should be able do the installation myself. But I would like some general advice about this.

(I think the car has speakers and an antenna that came with the car from the factory.)

QUESTION(S): Does anybody have any advice, tips or general suggestions about such a self-installation?

Does anybody have any advice or tips about what electronics or other parts to buy?

Thanks very much,

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Dead simplest way to do it: buy an OEM/Toyota (or Scion) radio on ebay with the features you want. Plug and play, done and done.

Standard method is to buy an aftermarket head, a Yaris-specific mounting kit, a Toyota-specific wire harness/pigtail and follow all the manufacturer's installation instructions. Crutchfield.com is a good place to start your search and find part/model numbers.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #3
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Dead simplest way to do it: buy an OEM/Toyota (or Scion) radio on ebay with the features you want. Plug and play, done and done.

Standard method is to buy an aftermarket head, a Yaris-specific mounting kit, a Toyota-specific wire harness/pigtail and follow all the manufacturer's installation instructions. Crutchfield.com is a good place to start your search and find part/model numbers.
Thank you Crank,

In your opinion, is the OEM/ebay approach generally a lot more expensive than the Standard/Aftermarket approach? (I know you can't predict with absolute certainty, so I am asking in general.)

Is the Standard/Aftermarket approach a lot more trouble than the OEM/ebay approach?

So, for example, is the Standard/Aftermarket approach so much more complicated that any cost savings over the OEM approach are generally not worth the extra effort?

Any other comments from you or others will also be appreciated.

Thanks,

R.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
OEM on eBay is generally significantly cheaper than aftermarket.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #5
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
OEM on eBay is generally significantly cheaper than aftermarket.
Thanks Wee, any more comments or advice from anybody else will be appreciated.

R.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
Hi everybody,

I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris base model Hatchback. I have never put a radio in the car. But I want to self-install a radio/MP3 player ....
(I think the car has speakers ...)

Thanks very much,

R.
If the car was bought new from the dealer in 2008, it should have speakers, correct?

Thanks,

R.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #7
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
go to crutchfield, research what kind of things you want the radio to do they will tell you what fits and you can buy a pre-made harness from them that plugs right in. I have used them several times with no issues.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:06 AM   #8
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
go to crutchfield, research what kind of things you want the radio to do they will tell you what fits and you can buy a pre-made harness from them that plugs right in. I have used them several times with no issues.
Thanks bladesmith,

I used Crutchfield myself once years ago before there was an internet and their product worked well for me. I called them a few days ago and they had some candidates that looked good, but they were out of stock at the time, due to the pandemic apparently. A lot of supply chain problems now apparently.

So I will keep that route in mind as well as the other suggestions that people have given me.

Thanks again,

R.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #9
RMcG

For everybody's information, I eventually bought & installed a Pioneer head unit through Crutchfield. More details are at this post entitled DIN or ISO DIN? . To answer my own question above, yes, there are speakers in the car that came with the car when bought new.

I found Crutchfield to be pretty helpful with the self-installation of the unit.

Thanks,

R.

Tags
bluetooth, cd player, installation, mp3 player, radio