Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
Claudio

Drives: Yaris
Overheating due to radiator cap

Hello everyone!

I'm new here but I've had a Yaris sol 2007 since 2013. I can say that is one if the most reliable cars out there.

So, it's very weird when the car doesn't work and a couple of weeks ago my car overheated and turned itself off. First time this happens and what was even weirder to me was that when I popped up the hood the coolant was splashed all over the engine, the liquid had burst out through the overflow tank.

I checked to see if there were any leaks but nothing, at the moment I didn't check the radiator cap because there wasn't any smoke or air coming out of it.

I waited until the engine cooled off and put some more coolant. I drove some minutes and the overheating light came up in the dashboard so I pulled over again. Eventually, I made it home but it got me wondering about the failure.

I didn't move the car anymore and days later I checked the cap and noticed that the center/middle part of it was missing so, I infer that the overheating was caused by the faulty cap.

My question to you guys is, should I be worried about the middle part missing? Should I open it up to see if I find it?
And how should I refill the coolant, directly to the radiator ?
Claudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I am worried you don’t know what you’re doing. Get a New cap. Yes fill the radiator. Then fill the expansion tank. Run the engine until the fan comes on, but don’t put the cap on. If the radiator isn’t full the level will drop. Let the engine cool tell it is cool to the touch. Fill out the radiator and put the cap on.

Please be careful! Don’t get burned!

Tell us what happens good luck!
Old 09-13-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
Claudio

Thanks a lot, yes I don't know much but I know enough not to get burn. I'll follow your instructions and let you know 👍🏻
Old 09-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
Claudio

Update on the issue

After following the procedure you recommended, I've driven my car these past 3 days and I haven't had any temperature issues, I've driven it on the highways, uphill, in traffic and I haven't noticed anything weird, if anything I'm a little impressed is running so well after overheating twice.

So, I think the overheating issue was definitely caused by the faulty radiator cap, I was concerned that it could've been caused by a faulty head gasket or water pump.

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-16-2021, 10:15 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Glad to be of help and congratulations on fixing the problem!

Tags
overheating, radiator cap, yaris