Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2022, 05:40 PM   #1
lightdisc2

Drives: Yaris 2008
Oil and Coolant Leak, Serpentine Belt fell off

Having a pretty unfortunate issue with my 08 Hatchback. I had my first partial synthetic oil change last service, about 6k miles ago. Car has 170k miles. I usually only do conventional and will be sticking with conventional for now on. I was told I could go 7k miles on this oil change. I was on the way to get an oil change, after my engine was making some weird noises like it was low on oil. When I get to the (drive-thru) oil change shop, they let me know there is oil and coolant leaking all over the right side of the engine compartment, and that my serpentine belt had fallen off.

I drove 5min to my mechanic (wouldn't go any further without towing it) and he is going to look at it tomorrow. Could this possibly be caused by waiting too long for an oil change, different kind of oil being used, or anything else? Could the leaks themself be caused simply by the serpentine belt failing (it did not snap, only slipped off; it was covered in oil and is about due to be replaced)? Also the coolant temperature light came on for the first time in that 5min drive to where the car is now. I am not mechanically inclined, but any idea on advice I should give to my mechanic?

Thanks
lightdisc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:31 AM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
the fact your using a "drive thru" oil change place is terrifying..what they used shouldnt even be clasifyed as oil be it conventional or synth....they get the cheepest garbbage they can by the 55gal drum.......

waiting too long wouldnt have cause this, however 170k could be looking at various bad seals..at the very least likely a valvecover gasket

synthetic is better on your gaskets and seals in the "long run" while conventional is better on them in the "short term", id highly reccomend you run valvoline high milage be it synth or conventional

seeing coolant tho i suspect youve got a waterpump on its way out
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:47 AM   #3
lightdisc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
the fact your using a "drive thru" oil change place is terrifying..what they used shouldnt even be clasifyed as oil be it conventional or synth....they get the cheepest garbbage they can by the 55gal drum.......

waiting too long wouldnt have cause this, however 170k could be looking at various bad seals..at the very least likely a valvecover gasket

synthetic is better on your gaskets and seals in the "long run" while conventional is better on them in the "short term", id highly reccomend you run valvoline high milage be it synth or conventional

seeing coolant tho i suspect youve got a waterpump on its way out
I don't always do the drive thru ones, only do sometimes when I need an oil change quickly and because of low income. But yeah I won't go back to one again with this car. Will make sure the water pump gets looked at, too. But couldn't the coolant just be from driving without a serpentine belt? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #4
sh0rtlife

if youve got coolant anywhere then you have a leak PERIOD, where the coolant is dictates what object is the most likely culprit IE if its on the pump side odds are its the pump, if its on the trans side its likely a coupler or hose, if its up front its likely a split rad
Old 06-17-2022, 03:37 PM   #5
lightdisc2

It turns out it needs a valve cover seal and it does need a new water pump. Probably just because of the high mileage and fact I use the car a lot in stop and go traffic.

Do people have more problems after my mileage (170k) or does the general reliability remain the same?
Old 06-17-2022, 06:48 PM   #6
sh0rtlife

some some of the 400k+ miles posts ive seen it all depends on how you use it..much like most toyotas they just keep going so long as they are taken care of