Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-26-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Which way to face subwoofer?

Hey, i've been wondering this, if you have a subwoofer in the trunk which would be the best way to face it based on bass/sound quality.... Towards the trunk, towards the front, etc etc... I think ive heard some talk of it..
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
sportin83

Drives: 2008 blazing blue yaris LB
i would fire it up or to the rear to get best sound

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

coming soon: window tint, custom sub grills, tach and........
sportin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
sedan = towards the rear.
Liftback = rear or straight up

you always want to load the bass wave off a surface before it gets to your ears... it helps focus the wave .... think about it as condensing, or concentrating it like what a funnel does with water.... thats what you do when you bounce the wave off a surface first.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:38 AM   #4
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Have it facing towards the back of the car. That what my installer recommends.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Thanks guys, what i was thinking too, I'm making another stealth enclosure after my oops i had with my last one with the first layer of fiberglass cracked on a bed of nails and it screwed up the whole plug....

*MAD DOG* damn you had alot of posts before we got hacked... i wonder just how much was deleted now kinda makes me pissed.... haha so much useful info!! but we get to make threads all over again!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
sportin83

Drives: 2008 blazing blue yaris LB
hackers suck there was alot of good info lost that we all have to put back up

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

coming soon: window tint, custom sub grills, tach and........
sportin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
dlinkwit27

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Due North
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Hey, this thread helped me as well. Thanks dudes...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Hey, this thread helped me as well. Thanks dudes...
thats what forums are for...glad you found it useful.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
sedan always face rear with a sealed box
hatch backs toword the rear with a ported box

sedan with ported no such a good idea
hatch with ported alot more bass due to the fact you can use the air space in the car since your trunk is also connected to the interior without any blocking this is why majority of the suvs and trucks run ported
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:31 AM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleversiontc View Post
sedan always face rear with a sealed box
hatch backs toword the rear with a ported box

sedan with ported no such a good idea
hatch with ported alot more bass due to the fact you can use the air space in the car since your trunk is also connected to the interior without any blocking this is why majority of the suvs and trucks run ported
people run ported cause they care more about absolute volume (as in sound) than cargo area.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:05 AM   #12
battleversiontc

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
people run ported cause they care more about absolute volume (as in sound) than cargo area.
not really true some subs out there require it to be in a ported box and not a sealed one
mecp masters certified
Old 10-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

i like sealed, i dont think ive ever made a box that wasn't so i don't know the difference in sound... i just like the car not rattley
Old 10-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #14
dlinkwit27

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinkwit27 View Post
Due North
really? not a single person found that funny?
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #15
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
not really true some subs out there require it to be in a ported box and not a sealed one
require is a very strong term.... I've yet to see a driver that sounds like absolute poo unless in a ported box.

Yes, the QTC, Vas, and Fs do have a great effect on if the sub is best suited for ported or sealed, but with virtually any sub on the car audio market you can get decent results with either.

a QTC of .4 or lower means ported would be great
A QTC of .4-.6 means Sealed would be best
and anything above .6 means IB would be best... but IB really is the same as a giant sealed box.

most car audio subs have QTC's in the range of .4-.55 as the best way for stereo companies to make money is to make it work in BOTH types of boxes and have a broader market sector.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
i like sealed, i dont think ive ever made a box that wasn't so i don't know the difference in sound... i just like the car not rattley
ported will generally gain you 3dB, and have a similar (slightly better response)... if you build the box right.

sound dampaning is for the rattles you have in cars... expensive.. but helps alot
Old 10-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
battleversiontc

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
require is a very strong term.... I've yet to see a driver that sounds like absolute poo unless in a ported box.

Yes, the QTC, Vas, and Fs do have a great effect on if the sub is best suited for ported or sealed, but with virtually any sub on the car audio market you can get decent results with either.

a QTC of .4 or lower means ported would be great
A QTC of .4-.6 means Sealed would be best
and anything above .6 means IB would be best... but IB really is the same as a giant sealed box.

most car audio subs have QTC's in the range of .4-.55 as the best way for stereo companies to make money is to make it work in BOTH types of boxes and have a broader market sector.
well heres proof do your homework before you come back with what you have to say http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/e...Size_hiEff.asp
try putting this in a sealed box and tell me it doesnt sound like poo when in a sealed box i install these everyday and we build the boxes and all of them a required to be ported higher watt subs sound better in ported and sound like poo in sealed. lower watt subs sound better in sealed boxes. the whole theory of a port is to tune the sub to a certain hz and provide more air space to give a deeper bass tone a low hz depending on the port length and wood density and air space every sub out there has a different air space requirement and not all boxes that are universal actually within a spec of what the sub needs there for the only way to get the correct air space is to build a box with the specs they recommend
mecp masters certified

Last edited by battleversiontc; 10-29-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #18
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
well heres proof do your homework before you come back with what you have to say http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/e...Size_hiEff.asp
try putting this in a sealed box and tell me it doesnt sound like poo when in a sealed box i install these everyday and we build the boxes and all of them a required to be ported higher watt subs sound better in ported and sound like poo in sealed. lower watt subs sound better in sealed boxes. the whole theory of a port is to tune the sub to a certain hz and provide more air space to give a deeper bass tone a low hz depending on the port length and wood density and air space every sub out there has a different air space requirement and not all boxes that are universal actually within a spec of what the sub needs there for the only way to get the correct air space is to build a box with the specs they recommend
I think you'd have an easier time arguing that a sub can be sealed, but not ported... as some lightweight cones & suspensions can be way to easily overwhelmed by the pressures found in ported & bandpass enclosures.

I almost ran a DD sub about 5 years ago... yeah... they get loud. they are beastly subs meant to get loud and ARE NOT known for having any sound quality characteristics....(read: they sound like poo regardless). They'll survive anything short of a nuclear blast. They also have a bad rap of having published T/S specs as much as 50% off from reality.

I am the first person to argue that each sub plays optimally in a specifically designed box. I don't think the point of a ported box has anything to do with giving the sub more air space... that's not the point, thats just often a requirement.

Like I said before... the overwhelming majority of car audio subs can play in both.... DD makes up an extremely small percent of the audio market. They are a brand for enthusiasts who are into getting very loud.

I'm perfectly happy to talk speakers with you over pm, or even AIM or e-mail.... I don't really want to hijack this thread tho.