Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
MacMaster761
Five-Star General

Drives: 07 Silver Streak Mica
Send a message via AIM to MacMaster761
Running Firewall Power Wires for subwoofer

yo my peeps,

i just recieved my kenwood powered subwoofer, whats the best way to run power wires through the firewall of the sedan, coat hanger? any tips peoples. It also doesnt help that i need to run 2 of these cables with fuses attached to them.

peace

JWU '09 Baking and Pastry
MacMaster761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I would look for like a boot or something that leads to the engine bay. Just be careful you know whats on the other side.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Can't we do it in the same place as the HB guys under the carpet on the passenger's side?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
havnt looked at firewall yet, but i did place my order for my amps/sub today, and piced up my deck/components today also. might get around to wiring it up on sunday, or might not be until next weekend, ill let you all know what i find, but more than likley there will be a rubber gromet somewhere that you can put a hole in, and run the wire through (like in the liftback, just maybe not same place)

@MacMaster761: you shouldnt have to run 2 wires, and you shouldnt have to run any fuses through the firewall, just run the wire through, and add the fuse next to the battery after the wire is run. There should only be one power wire(presumably red) The other wire is a ground(presumably brown) and just needs to be attached to the chassie some where in the trunk(or where ever you are installing the sub)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:24 AM   #5
Bones

Drives: 07 Yaris S Type
On the driver side, behind the battery is the best place to run the wire. There’s a big rubber grommet, all the factory wires go though it. If you look at it closely, there are “nipples” on the engine side. Cut the tip and you can push your power cable through. You might have to pull the battery out, unless you have small hands.

Instead of running two separate wires, run one big wire and then use a distribution block inside the car. If you need to run two 14 gauge wire, then run a 8 gauge instead.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:24 AM   #6
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
I got my 4ga wire run inside the panels and up right behind the battery :) very neat install, and you cant see any cables from front to back.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:57 AM   #7
MacMaster761
Five-Star General

wiring is as follows:

total 5 wires

2 power yellow wires with fuses attached
2 ground wires black
1 Power control wire blue.

bought a amp wiring kit last night will try to run one of the big wires through the firewall.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
How many amps are you installing?? If it is just one then U just need one power wire and one ground. Most amp kits have an inline fuse in the power wire that goes right by the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMaster761
wiring is as follows:

total 5 wires

2 power yellow wires with fuses attached
2 ground wires black
1 Power control wire blue.

bought a amp wiring kit last night will try to run one of the big wires through the firewall.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
johnnyfive

and if you are installing 2 amps, run one wire from the battery, to the trunk, then use a "Distribution Block" to split the wires going to the 2 amps. Use one guage larger than you are needing to use for your biggist amp to make the long run from the battery to te trunk.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #10
MacMaster761
Five-Star General

does anybody know where the knub thingy is to go throught the firewall? do i feed i through the little plastic enclosure where all the other wires seem to be goin? might it be behind the battery??? thanks guys for you're help, i'll post pics when done

Old 08-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
nick1983

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan
Show some pics of what you've do to install, I need some Ideas.

Would help if the were of the sedan.
nick1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:04 AM   #12
johnnyfive

cant find the usb for my phone so no pices right now...but i pulled the door sills, and found nice unused wire chanels under them on the passenger side(same channels on drivers side but a bunch of wires inside, but if you are only running 4 or 8 guage it will probably fit) so i decided i was going to run my power on that side, so a quick pull of the carpet, and i see a big rubber gromet in the firewall, with a little "tube" coming out of it, pull the gromet, and it appears to be some sort of drain(ac, or heat, or something...) so bummer...but after inspecting both sides(camin and engine compartment), there is tons of clearance on both sides of it, so will be no problem to drill a new hole, and install a new gromet just next to it. this is what i will be doing, and then running my RCA's in the space left in the drivers side channels, not sure of what is all inside of the drivers side channels(likley most everyhting elextrical behind the b pillars) but dont think any of it should cause noise issues with a decent shielded twisted pair of rca's
Old 08-29-2006, 07:07 AM   #13
MacMaster761
Five-Star General

wow, let me tell you how much of a bitch it was to go through that firewall. The firewall rubber grommet it up underneath the steering wheel, and to access it through through the engine compartment it is hidden and you can't see it. What i did is shoved a flathead screwdriver through the rubber grommet and made a new hole in the rubber. Then I fed a clotheshanger through the made hole, and pushed it through into the engine compartment. I then taped my 10 guage power wire to the clotheshanger and pulled it back through. Let me tell you how much of a bitch it was to do it. But its all hooked up and it sounds rediculous!!! i'll post pics later

Old 09-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #14
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Drives: flint mica yaris s sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMaster761 View Post
wow, let me tell you how much of a bitch it was to go through that firewall. The firewall rubber grommet it up underneath the steering wheel, and to access it through through the engine compartment it is hidden and you can't see it. What i did is shoved a flathead screwdriver through the rubber grommet and made a new hole in the rubber. Then I fed a clotheshanger through the made hole, and pushed it through into the engine compartment. I then taped my 10 guage power wire to the clotheshanger and pulled it back through. Let me tell you how much of a bitch it was to do it. But its all hooked up and it sounds rediculous!!! i'll post pics later
seems like the best advice so far for my single 8gauge power amp wire. it does look like a b*tch but i will try to remove the battery this time. by the way, i hooked up my ground 1st behind the rear light assembly but didn't seem to have good contact. Then I found at the bottom outter corner lower than that light assembly screws were. There's a screw mount waiting to be used. Just had to find the right bolt.
manborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
make sure you take some steel wool/sand paper and get the paint off the surrounding area before hooking up the ground... want it to be touching bare metal!
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #16
-m-

Drives: stock for now
Guys there is a grommet on the pass side by the ECU. You will need to pop a screw driver through the insulation behind it but you can fit a piece of 4 gauge through it and its much easier to reach tan the one behind the battery.
-m- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
skdragon

Drives: Yaris 4d 2010, charcoil Gray
No pics yet cause iam havign the same problem :(
skdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #18
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
$45 to my local car stereo guy and he drilled and grommetted a hole on the driver side where he ran 2 4awg wires, and all my gauge pod wires.

One of the best $45 I've spent.

Wow, I just realized how old the original post was.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote