Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
xb visitor

Drives: scion xb
What real gains from supercharger?

Okay...
FYI: Before anyone calls me out for buying a slow car to begin with I did buy this car(XB) after seeing it at the L.A. auto show in 03 and TOYOTA said they were 100% for sure going to offer a turbo or supercharger for it within 1 year...Well that never happened

I don't dare drag race a Prius..Id get humiliated..lol Seriouslly they bolt away much quicker. Oh well..

It seems alot of people have used the bolt on supercharger kits..but In 10 years I don't recall anyone ever saying..oh now my car is faster than a Honda civic or a Prius or the wifes 220 Honda h.p. mini van. Ive asked before but every response on Scion forums has been along the lines of.."oh Dude" I don't race it its for looks

Seriously..To any gar head worth his salt....whats the point of installing a supercharger or Turbo..if you never have a little fun with it..so those whom have them..what are your thoughts..what can our incredibly whimpy cars run with once a supercharger is installed? Stock..I know..virtually every car built is faster..Thats no exaggeration either..but its getting a little tiring.
Does a supercharger help at all? NO TURBOS...too much work to install & removal and internal mods required..and way too much heat where I live for a daily driver.

The XB is just too cool of a looker and functional to let go.. its a keeper nothing like it before or since, exept a MINI but there 30k. Gotta admit the 1.5 liter in this car is hands down the most reliable, bulletproof,abuse friendly car Ive ever owned..
xb visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The supercharger is quite functional. The difference between my Yaris-es that don't have them and my one that does is amazing. The off-the-line torque is awesome as well as the ability to pass without issue on the highway.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
At this point there is plenty of knowledge about the engine you can easily get a supercharger or a turbo installed and know 100% how it is going to react. Meaning go to the right person make them understand what you want and it will be 100% reliable.

Don't race Prius, they will embarrass a lot of non sports cars, the instant on torque of that battery is sensational.

Have you done any mods to the car yet?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The Blitz supercharger is without a doubt the best investment I've made in this car. You have the additional benefit of the more aggressive final drive ratio in your transmission, that most of us egg-beaters wish we had (some of us actually have it). All of CTScott's comments are dead on. I can out-accelerate most other vehicles from a dead stop, and passing on the freeway is just a matter of grabbing 3rd and hitting the gas. Zoom zoom zoom.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
NT05
Banned

Drives: 1nz-fe
Blitz is a very well designed supercharger from (Ogura Japan). It is maintance free and very reliable. For daily use it the best bang for the buck and very responsive.
NT05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
NT05
Banned

Drives: 1nz-fe
This is the Ogura supercharger (air pump) that Blitz uses.

Ogura air blowers, air pumps, superchargers and recirculation blowers utilize the most robust and lightweight materials available today. Permanently lubricated, our roots style, positive displacement pumps require no maintenance.

Precision coated rotors, tight air gaps and high speed ball bearings together make Ogura superchargers the highest efficiency pumps available today. They are finding applications in Fuel cells air pumps, Hydrogen recirculation and diesel emission control systems. These devices are also finding applications as Hydrogen Pumps, natural gas boosters, and ballast purge pumps for marine applications.

Most hydrogen fuel cells use PEM or proton exchange membranes. Precision control of; air flow, pressure and humidity are required to have the chemistry of a fuel cell work to generate electricity. Similarly the proper introduction and control of air is required in post combustion DPF, soot reduction technology for diesel emissions control.

Superchargers can be used for engine boost to have the performance of a large engine in a smaller and lighter engine. This air blower when used as supercharger, can increase engine horse power while keeping fuel usage at its lowest.
Attached Images
File Type: png ogura.png (51.6 KB, 219 views)
NT05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
albee213

Drives: No longer own a Yaris
I just purchased a 2007 Yaris Liftback base with 5-speed and for me driving around town light to light I dont have a problem with the power of the 1.5, what gets me is that I am helpless to all soccer moms in Taho's that rage past me without even a fight from me. The top end power in these cars is non-existant.

Now I didnt buy this car for any other reason than I drive a lot and wanted to cut my fuel bill down by at least 50%. I normaly own American V8's and I have one RAM 2500 V10, the 10 stands for 10mpg.

I have driven my Yaris non-stop for a few weeks and have no problem, but the other day I started up the 98 Cadilllac with the Northstar V8 and just missed that smooth power delivery and noisless drive it offers. But it offers only 16 mpg for commuting in traffic.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Blitz Supercharger in the next year or two but the added expence would defeat the reason I got the car in the first place and how much would the MPG suffer from such a change? I know average 34 MPG and it feels good to drive like there is no tomorrow and not constantly looking for a fuel station dropping $60 every few days.

The next problem I have is that I am going to add some sound deadening material here and there to lower some of the noise and make the doors sound a little more solid, that bong I get everytime I shut the door drives me crazy.
albee213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
My worst commute average--as measured by a scanguage II--with just a Blitz, 1ZZ injectors and a cold-air intake was about 29. Now that I have a 1ZZ throttle body, it goes all the way down to 25 if I mash the gas from every stop sign. In all honesty, unless you're driving a diesel, adding boost is going to harm your fuel economy significantly.

The noise may be an issue with those of you who prefer a near-silent experience: with a cold-air intake, it sounds like a crotch-rocket bike under hard acceleration. I love it, and it makes me smile every time, but it's not for everyone.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Right now I have my tune set so it gives me around 30mpg out of boost....but then again I am livin the snail's life and....well nm. All I am saying is that most folks have a jaw drop when they see what this platform can di with even a little boost and yet still get very respectable FE.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Before I cranked up the boost in my tercel I picked up 3mpg. But after the bigger injectors and more boost im only getting 34-38mpg...which is about where stock was with the longer final drive. I have a shorter final drive so the more rpm on the highway eats more gas

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote