Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
Axle Seal?

Hi guys,

I just took my Yaris in to get an oil change service done at GM Goodwrench since they were having a $29.99 deal on oil changes.

Anyway, they do an inspection of your car for you while it's there and they told me that I need to "replace transmission left axle seal (found Transmission fluid seep)" words taken straight from the paperwork in front of me.

They quoted me $372.71 for this job. Is this a high price? Could I possibly find elsewhere to do it? Not that I don't trust Goodwrench service but getting work done at any sort of dealership is probably more expensive than another shop no?

Is this something I can easily do myself? I am.....moderate at car work and I don't have any exceptional tools. Just all the basic stuff like lots of different sockets, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc but no specialized automotive tools.

If it is just a seal that needs replacing (what is that, probably like a $20 part?) and a couple of hours of my own work then I would be more than willing to do it.

My car is almost at 80,000 KM so not sure if this is a common thing or what. I haven't had anything wrong thus far other than a mysteriously blown 30A fuse for the radiator fan which caused a mild overheating one day but other than that, nothing. Just oil changes and I did do one like 32,000 KM "Service" thing with Toyota quite a while back that ran me around $150-200 but I can't remember what it was. It was part of the scheduled service or something.

Love this forum always so very helpful. Thanks guys
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote