Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Hardicus

Drives: 2007 YRX Hatch
Headlight Indicator, Gear Lights, AC Lights All Out

Hi all,

Long time lurker here. Have been able to answer most questions I've ever needed answered without posting, but sadly I've reached a problem that I haven't been able to solve yet.

I have a 2007 Yaris Hatch.

My headlights work, but there is no light in the dash to indicate that the headlights are on. If I switch to high beams, the high beams and the high beam indicator come on. Further to this, I have no lights on the gear shift, or the AC dials. If I open the door I do not get the headlight warning beep. It seems as though all other indicator lights on the dash work.

It's been driving me nuts. So far I have replaced the PANEL1, PANEL2 and MET fuses, but none of them seem to have blown and the problem remains. Changing a fuse is about the extent of my electrical knowledge of this car (although I did install a new head unit and front speakers so I have a little wiring experience).

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Hardicus
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Do you have the analog or digital instrument cluster?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Hardicus

Hi CTScott, I have the digital one.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardicus View Post
Hi CTScott, I have the digital one.
OK - So you don't have the dimmer rheostat circuit, like the analog ones do.

Do you have access to a multimeter to take some measurements?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Hardicus

No I don't. It is due for a service though so if it's going to be a lot of work I might just leave it up to them.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
No I don't. It is due for a service though so if it's going to be a lot of work I might just leave it up to them.
It might be something simple (like a fuse), or it might be something like a loose pin on the headlight switch connector. The Australian Yaris have some wiring differences from the US, European, and Japanese ones that I have the wiring diagrams for.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Hardicus

Further symptoms I just discovered as I drove it at night for the first time since noticing these issues.

1) Parking lights do not work.
2) Front and rear foglights do not work.
3) Taillights do not work, brake lights do.
4) All indicators work.

Any chance this narrows down the possibilities? Basically it's undriveable at night which is a pain. Sounds like it's probably more than a fuse hey?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Quote:
My headlights work, but there is no light in the dash to indicate that the headlights are on. If I switch to high beams, the high beams and the high beam indicator come on. Further to this, I have no lights on the gear shift, or the AC dials. If I open the door I do not get the headlight warning beep. It seems as though all other indicator lights on the dash work.
That one sounded like your Panel 1/Panel 2 fuses. I had the same issue and changed mine out. The second issue above, I can't help with :(
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Further symptoms I just discovered as I drove it at night for the first time since noticing these issues.

1) Parking lights do not work.
2) Front and rear foglights do not work.
3) Taillights do not work, brake lights do.
4) All indicators work.

Any chance this narrows down the possibilities? Basically it's undriveable at night which is a pain. Sounds like it's probably more than a fuse hey?

PANEL1 is the most likely, with PANEL2 and TAIL also possibly being in the mix. All three of which are in the under-dash fuse panel.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
Hardicus

OK so I got around to having a proper look at it. I took out the PANEL1, PANEL2, TAIL and MET fuses one at a time and checked their effect. Basically I saw no change in the function of my lights when the PANEL1 fuse was installed vs when it was removed. Removing the other 3 fuses caused other things to stop working (instrument panel, brake lights, a few other things I can't remember), so I can assume that those circuits are working ok.

I have already swapped out all these fuses for new ones and it has had no effect. I guess the PANEL1 circuit is failing somewhere other than the fuse. Can anyone suggest what my next step would be? I am scouring the repair manual for answers but I'm hardly equipped to understand much of it.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

You mentioned changing out the headunit. I would suggest unplugging it temporarily to see if that helps.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #12
Hardicus

Thanks for the help so far guys. I have an update as I just had it serviced. They didn't fix the lights but suggested that it's probably the switch, as they checked the current at the bulbs etc and it was all fine. When I got home I gave the stalk a pretty stiff jiggle, and the lights flickered to life. Unfortunately when I turned them off again, they no longer worked, and I can't get them to work again. CTScott seems to have been on the money that it's probably a loose connection in the stalk.

Can anyone suggest if it's worth me trying to fix it myself, or should I pass it to an auto electrician?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for the help so far guys. I have an update as I just had it serviced. They didn't fix the lights but suggested that it's probably the switch, as they checked the current at the bulbs etc and it was all fine. When I got home I gave the stalk a pretty stiff jiggle, and the lights flickered to life. Unfortunately when I turned them off again, they no longer worked, and I can't get them to work again. CTScott seems to have been on the money that it's probably a loose connection in the stalk.

Can anyone suggest if it's worth me trying to fix it myself, or should I pass it to an auto electrician?
Replacing the headlight stalk is not all that bad. Here's a video that I put together a while back that shows what is involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgWS...gpsDA&index=18
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
I once had a similar problem: when I turn the light switch to parking light position, it did nothing (albeit half of the time).
But when turned to headlight position the low beams were working fine. The full beams too.
Turned out there are bridge contacts inside the light stalk and the parking light position contact was dirty. So a simple Q-tip and rubbing alcohol was all that needed to fix this.

Here's the detail: After removing the steering column covers, look at the rear of the stalk. You will find a translucent plastic cover. Remove it and there will be copper bridge contacts thingy.
Flip the switch in parking light position and off to observe how the contact were made.
Turn the switch off and clean the parts of the copper that made contact.
Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #15
Hardicus

Ok it took me a while to get around to it, but finally got the problem fixed. CTScott thank you so much for the video and all your help it was invaluable. Mittelklasse you truly saved me, i followed your instructions and that fixed the problem. The contact didn't look particularly dirty that I could see (although it's a bad angle so couldn't see much), but I gave it a try with a Q tip, but it was too big, so ended up sticking a tiny screwdriver with an alcohol wipe wrapped around it in. Whether i actually cleaned it or just knocked some dirt off i'm not sure, but whatever it's fixed.

A few things to note if anyone has the same problem:

1) You don't have to take the steering wheel off, you can just take the steering column covers off.
2) Steering cover is secured by 3 screws, 1 on the bottom near the adjustment level, and 1 on either side of the steering wheel, which can only be accessed by turning the wheel full lock left and right.
3) Turn the wheel with the engine running if possible to avoid wheel lock, I had the lights all fixed and then realised I couldn't start the car, was a scary moment for someone like me with no experience in these things.

Once again thank you thank you thank you, this would have cost me hundreds at an auto electrician i'm sure, and it only took me less than half an hour.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #16
wynand boshoff
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris sedan
Hi guys, yes I had the same problem with my park, tail and instrument lights. I have checked all the fuses front box and inside the car with no luck at all. After surf the net I found this forum. Thanks to CTSott, mittelklasse, Hardicus and Gingernutter you were all spot on with the problem lying at the head light stalk unit which is behind the steering wheel.
It took me less than ten minutes to remove the steering colum covers, open the plastic cover and to clean the second brass contactor.
Thanks for all the videos and photos
wynand
wynand boshoff is offline   Reply With Quote