Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #19
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Hey man, been so f....n busy with work, kids , wife, holidays, besides sometimes you think you don't mean shit around here anyways!!!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #20
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Screw all that. You're one of the OG's of YW. Don't forget about us! Good to hear you've been busy though, better than doing nothing!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:31 AM   #21
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via MSN to andries
I have Yokohama W-drive. They were totally worth it
andries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #22
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Once or twice a year I could use them. For my circumstances, it's not worth the money.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #23
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Once or twice a year I could use them. For my circumstances, it's not worth the money.
does it get below 50F in winter? then they'd be worth the money.

the thing that im sure most people dont realize is that winter rims/tires aren't that big of an expenditure. sure you have to buy an extra set of steelies w/ tires, but while youre running your winter setup, you're not running your summer....so all your tires last essentially twice as long.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #24
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Left my tires on for the first snow of the season. Leaving work on a hilly curse my backend came out, and my car just did a 90degree turn and kept sliding till it rolled forwards, jumped the snowy bank, and came to a stop 5 inches from a tree. The car was lowered and the snow passing the button of the car stopped it. Not because of the stupid tired I had on at the time.

Then I drove a BMW X5 4.8liter the other night, and WOW was I impressed with the handling, speed, brakes, and ability to not slide easy at all.

So yes everyone, get yourselves a good set of snow tires!
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #25
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Although I live in sunny California, we make regular treks to Truckee, CA, where the snow and ice prevail most of the winter and into spring. I have Toyo studless snow tires, which are OK to operate up to 80 dgrees and work well in the Central Valley winter/spring. They are really handy up in the mountains, even without studs.

Gid mentioned the cost factor and I agree. For the price of my deductible in case of accident, I'll get 2-3 years out of the Toyos by rotating my all seasons. For me and my family, as well as other drivers I might encounter, a good investment. As an aside, my wife actually surprised me and got a killer deal last spring from Les Schwab
Daytime Running Lights
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Doug007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #26
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
thinking about picking up a set of show tires.. i slid into the curb well show mound lol and broke some of the clips holding the front lip on... so now i have an excuse to get a body kit hehe but yeah DEFF getting tires maybe i can con my uncle into getting them for me... still owes me a holiday gift..
Old 01-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #27
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Hey Chino.... still got those snows?.. I want to try and keep these 17's nice
Old 01-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Gotta watch studs on clean pavement! All of a sudden, you are dealing with carbide tires and the attendant lack of traction. The sparks are spectacular, stopping ain't...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #29
DeliciousYaris2007

Drives: White, Sedan
I got snow tires this winter and LOVE them! They are absolutely amazing :) I'd have to look again to see exactly who made them. They were the cheapest to install by Toyota...
DeliciousYaris2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #30
koala

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Snow tires are absolutely a good idea if safety is any sort of concern. One thing I will say though is don't go too cheap. I normally buy good quality but on the Yaris I thought we'd try to save some money so we bought some Dunlop Graspic DS-2's and they're absolute shit tires... can't wait for them to wear out!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #31
elementalist

Drives: Black Cube at the Wrecker's
I have michelin x-ice's on 14" rims. They are pretty decent on snow and ice. YOu have to remember, even with winter tires, you have to be a bit more cautious in the winter.
elementalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #32
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155

LOL your'e doing it wrong ^^^ !!! (Don't be like them)
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:46 AM   #33
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
I have snow tires on my HB and they were TOTALLY worth it. Up here in Northern Ontario we have tons of snow. If I didn't have snow tires, I would have been stuck/crashed/destroyed many times.

Studding lets you add metal studs to the bottom of your tires to add traction on icy roads. You'd have to check to see whether or not it was legal where you are (some places do not allow studded tires).

Off-topic... but whoa... a local?!?

I find snow's a requirement for any decent amount of frozen precipitation on the Yaris. My Sunfire didn't need them, but the little 'Yota sure does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
Snow tires are absolutely a good idea if safety is any sort of concern. One thing I will say though is don't go too cheap. I normally buy good quality but on the Yaris I thought we'd try to save some money so we bought some Dunlop Graspic DS-2's and they're absolute shit tires... can't wait for them to wear out!
I have those on my Yaris right now. Other than road noise, I find they're great.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #34
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
don't recommend over inflating studded tires ( 35 p.s.i. or > ) . Reason being you'll have less contact between the road and tire surface , riding on studs ( wear metal studs quicker ) . Less air , more rubber to meet the road . Have noticed that the steering ( cornering ) is more sensitive with studded tires and the electric assisted power steering too .

Last edited by gid; 01-19-2009 at 12:12 AM.
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #35
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Installing winter (ice) tires on my sedan took it from scary bad (on OEM Goodyear LS tires) to confident and sure footed. Especially on packed/icy surfaces where the LS's were absolutely useless. I'd never experience tires so poor in ice. Goodyear has a nerve calling those all-season tires. They must mean all-seasons of Mexico.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #36
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
does it get below 50F in winter? then they'd be worth the money.

the thing that im sure most people dont realize is that winter rims/tires aren't that big of an expenditure. sure you have to buy an extra set of steelies w/ tires, but while youre running your winter setup, you're not running your summer....so all your tires last essentially twice as long.
Once or twice a year it get below 0. Today is getting up to 65. The snow and ice here melts real quick. We can get 8 inches on Monday and 4 days later be playing golf. The road crews do a great job in clearing the streets. I have yet to be stuck using all season tires. Even when driving to ski areas in the mountains. When conditions are called for, I use more care. The people that get stuck or in accidents are the ones that don't know how to drive in winter conditions. If I lived further north like ND or Canada, I might consider snow tires. I can't justify spending $500 on a car that costs $12,000.