Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
aliraja

Drives: Yaris(vitz) 2005
Send a message via MSN to aliraja
EGR Error, Urgent Help Needed

I have a Yaris (VITZ) 2005. I am getting a EGR error. can anyone help plz. I already reset the ECU and checked the EGR Sensor.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
You try cleaning out the egr and egr ports? You can try putting a can of seafoam in the gas tank that usually will clean out the gunk.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
aliraja

My Mechanic Cleans out the EGR sensor. No result. Whts is seafoam ??, Mechanic did add oil through air intake pipe.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
YarisSedan

What is the exact engine code. You can test the egr valve by applying vacuum to it with the engine running. If the engine stumbles and dies that means it is operating correctly. If not then i would simply replace it since cleaning did not help.

Next step would be to apply vacuum and see if the egr holds vacuum. If not that meanst he diaphram inside the egr is torn and must be replaced.

That would be the first step. But without the engine code i cant help you much. EGR stands for exhaust gas recerculation valve. Its main operation is to recycle unburnt exhaust gasses into the combustion chamber to lower the temperature as well as lower emissions. During this process you get black carbon soot. The same stuff you see at the end of your tail pipe coating and caking the inside of the egr tube all the way up to the egr valve. The plintle inside the egr valve can get caked with carbon and can get stuck open or closed as well. So when you say your mechanic cleaned it i need to know how. Did he use carb cleaner and a wire brush or metal pick? Because carbon is very hard. Its what diamonds are made out of. Putting oil in the intake i dont know what he planned on hapening by doing that. Except maby putting sludge buildup inside your intake manifold. But the pcv system on our toyotas are famouse for already doing that.

This is what you could try

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm

What i would do is dump a full can down the gas tank when the tank is full. Second you can attempt to decarbon the engine by sucking up half a can through a vaccum source at base of intake manifold. Then let the vehicle sit for a hour. It will begin to soak and soften up the carbon inside the manifold, valves and pistons. Then suck in the other half of the can. This will completely clean out the engine of all carbon as well as egr system. If you see massive amounts of black smoke comming out of your tail pipe then you know you found the problem. If this takes care of it i would suggest switching to a top tier gasoline to prevent it from happening again.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
aliraja

Ok thanks, I will again take it to Mechanic and check these things and solutions. Plz keep in touch.

Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
aliraja

I got the error code. Its 71 EGR. plz what can u tell me now.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
YarisSedan

Its going to start with a a P like P0505 or something like that. error code 71 is not a powertrain code.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
YarisSedan

If you can get me the exact code i can look it up on IATN for you
Old 01-11-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
aliraja

Ok, Thanks will do.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
YarisSedan

If you dont mind working on your own car i can walk you through the process. You can purchase a inexpensive obd2 reader for about 50 bucks. You can pull the code yourself and keep the scanner for future uses and for friends and familys vehicles. ANd with maybe another 50 bucks worth of basic hand tools i can walk you through the process of testing the components in your car and if the egr needs to be removed and cleaned you should be able to do it yourself without having to take it to a mechanic and pay him.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
aliraja

I don't think that such a device is available in my city. The local TOYOTA dealership guys want me to leave the car for two days. I have very much trouble risking it since they also don't have any expertize on this type.

I will that it to another workshop is a few days and will bring the print out from that scanner type thing. Plz stay in touch.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
aliraja

Plz also tell me about that 50 buks solution.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
YarisSedan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUPER...motiveQ5fTools

This is actually a surprisingly good scanner for the price. Allows you to see history and pending codes as well as live data and clear engine codes. For the price and what it does it cant be beat.

If you have a labtop with bluetooth you can get a bluetooth obd2 reader and use your scanner as a labtop but it will cost you about the same. I use the same scanner but a obd 2 and 1 version on a daily basis over my shops snapon modis scanner. Just because this scanner is so much faster.

For anything manufacture mode like ABS and stuff i go to the modis but for general stuff and easy generic codes like EGR or o2 sensors this scanner is the best bang for the buck. After your done diagnosing your car you can post on craigs list 40 dollar scan test and have it pay for itself after a few uses hehe.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
I'm sure you can export an obd2 from Abu Dahbi or Dubai, they should carry it in stock excluding tax as well ;).

Btw, welcome to the forums. I'm from Karachi...well, actually born there and then moved here.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #15
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Craigs List in Pak?

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #16
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
funny thing is the car does not have an EGR
Old 01-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #17
aliraja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
funny thing is the car does not have an EGR
Hmm. I can't imagine arguing with you since you must have no Idea what is an EGR Sensor and what is this all about.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Here EGR refers to exhaust gas recirculation. This is now done by the VVT-i on our cars. where as regular cams had a special valve that opens up and air passage from the exhaust back to the head. Because our cars are VVT-i there is no EGR, unless they are using that to signal some problem with the VVT-i, or maybe your version of the car doesn't have VVT-i
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote