Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
My new deck and amp install plus question about fine tuning 4 channel amp....

So just swapped out my deck and amp from my acura. Didnt bother to swap out the subs not too much into that anymore just wanted a clean sounding system. I have 6.5 components in front and 6x9 coaxials in the rear. My question is how to best tune the amp. The stereo shop had the LP filter on the back and HP on the front. But i swapped both to full and it seems to sound a heck of a lot better. There is more bass now. I am asuming its allowing hp and lp so the component subs in my doors are operating fully and the tweeters are sending the hp signals.

The gain and hp and lp filters i am not too sure how to adjust those really. The stereo shop guy said he tuned them before he installed the amp but i know you need to tune it after really to reap the most benifits.

Below are the pics

YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
the shop had you set up correctly. even with component speakers you should still run HP on your fronts. 60,70, or 80hz is usually a good spot for 6.5's. If you have AWESOME 6.5's you can get away with 60... or maybe even lower, but really... I just tell eveyone to go with 70 or 80hz.

If you don't run a HP, or it is set too low, you really risk putting too much stress on your speakers, and also will have more distortion. Some people like the sound of distorted bass.... Distortion often times is a good warning sign that your speaker is starting to reach its limits.

LP on the 6x9's was also a wise choice. It is generally a no no to have highs in the rear. 6x9's are also basically just to cheaply add some bass to the car.I'd run lowpass at like 100-200hz, maybe 400hz if your car really lacks that warm midrange sound.

Sounds like the shop did a decent job... do yourself a favor and change it back to how it was.... do you really think you know more than them?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
High Pass for components and Low Pass for Subs.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Well i have coaxials in the rear. So its got kinda a sub like exterior for mids and a tweeter in the center for highs. So wouldnt i be able to do full xover for the rear. Since the build in crossover for the tweeters will filter out the lows and allow me to have full mids and highs comming from the back. Also if i put only hp i have 6.5 subs in doors with tweeters in the top. So doing only hp will make the 6.5s completely useless.

Cause the way i adjusted it now ti seems like i have my crystal clear sounding highs with much more of a midrange. I should not expect to get full lows comming from just a basic setup without subwoofers.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
YarisSedan

The other thing i thought about doing is i still have the old speakers in my acura i haven taken out. They are mephis audio 2 way speakers i believe 6.5s With swivel tweeter in the center. Would it be better to take out the 6.5 subs ni the door and replace them with the 6.5 2 ways and leave the other 2 tweeters that are mounted up high in place still.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I would think that you are not really getting correct staging having those components in the doors like that since you do not have a subwoofer sets.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
ok... stop saying sub or subwoofer.... a sub/subwoofer is something, usually 8" or larger that can play below 50hz without problem... This is a sub.

This is a Mid and has a tweeter mounted in the center (aka coaxial/coax)

Those 6.5" speakers are refered to as woofers, or Mids. They play the midrange stuff. Depending on what 6.5's you bought they could play as low as 50 - 100hz and as high as 2,000 - 5,000hz.

Unless you are deaf, or the people in your back seat are deaf, running highs (tweeters) is pointless, and honestly, just takes away from the true stereo effect. To be perfectly honest, most SQ installs do not use rear speakers, because they add more problems than they are worth.