Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
Sandwash

Drives: 2009 Yaris w/man.trans.
Toyota should wise up re: MPG figures

With all the data on this website available regarding Yaris' 40++ miles per gallon, you would think Toyota would petition EPA in recalc./correction of a mere 36 mpg...go figure.
Sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Why? How would that profit them?
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
It would be a great selling point over other vehicles in this segment.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
But for most people driving the car it would be a lie. Just like the old estimates that tended to be 10mpg better than what you got in the real world.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
jcemitte

Drives: 09 yaris sedan
it would hurt them, because if you behave and drive your car like a civilized person the numbers get to close to the prius. i think many ppl would be like "well f*ck that" to the hybrid. the prius costs a lot money and would effectively hurt toyotas profits.

personally i think the prius is the most backward P.O.S. ever (not that build quality is bad after all it is a toyota) but they mine the nickle for the batteries in canada then ship it the the UK where they treat it and make it into a foamy type of consistancy and then ship it again to toyota city, japan and then import them all over creation. hows that for a carbon foot print.
jcemitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemitte View Post
... hows that for a carbon foot print.
You are correct. However, if nobody purchased those vehicles now, there will be no money to invest in the R&D required to develop new battery technology that will have a smaller environmental impact and a smaller carbon foot print.

Current battery manufacturing techniques are very hard on the environment but like everything else, it has to start somewhere. Nickel metal hydride batteries are what they use today, although it has a measurable environmental impact, it's much less than if they used Lead Acid batteries. Tomorrows batteries should be cleaner. Battery powered/assisted vehicles are essentially in their infancy, as more money gets invested into the technology the methods and materials used should become more environmentally friendly.

IMO, a completely Green battery will ever be developed but cleaner methods will come and it will still reduce our dependence on oil. What is the environmental impact of the BP spill, and the carbon footprint from all the continued clean up?
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Sandwash

Drives: 2009 Yaris w/man.trans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Actually mine was a facetious comment; more a comment on some of the astounding mileage figures coming forward.
Sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
it would hurt them, because if you behave and drive your car like a civilized person the numbers get to close to the prius. i think many ppl would be like "well f*ck that" to the hybrid. the prius costs a lot money and would effectively hurt toyotas profits.
My dad drives like a psycho and regularly gets 45 mpg in the prius. I've never even gotten close to 40 in the yaris even on hypermiling tanks.

Quote:
personally i think the prius is the most backward P.O.S. ever (not that build quality is bad after all it is a toyota) but they mine the nickle for the batteries in canada then ship it the the UK where they treat it and make it into a foamy type of consistancy and then ship it again to toyota city, japan and then import them all over creation. hows that for a carbon foot print.
Go buy a hummer, I heard they extract all materials and build them from one country. Oh and you forgot the step in china.

And to everyone who STILL doesn't get it

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-neon-740.html

OMG A dodge neon gets over 40 mpg, someone call the EPA!!!!111eleventy!!1
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
jcemitte

Drives: 09 yaris sedan
Perhaps I should have clarified; I am not anti-Prius. At least Toyota is making an effort to help the environment, and backward piece of shit maybe an inappropriate exaggeration but, it’s just like what I stated. Although the benefits of the end user driving the car are good, the battery production is bad. There is a darker side to the Prius that most people don’t know about, not that it’s the end of the world. Stove makes a good point about it being a young technology and all but why doesn't Toyota focus all that energy into hydrogen cars. As for as I know there isn’t any harsher effects to harvesting hydrogen and the only by product the car produces is water, a.k.a. zero emissions
jcemitte is offline   Reply With Quote