Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2022, 01:13 AM   #1
Isaac1

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Bang, thunk, thunk, thunk

Driving home at sunset I had something strange happen to my 2007 Yaris with Manual Transmission at 218,000 miles. 5 miles from home I merged onto a highway and noticed a strange buzzing sound as I shifted into 4th and 5th, the temperature here was right at freezing, after a cold front came through earlier in the day.

Then about half a mile from home I was driving along going straight in a 35 mph zone when something suddenly went BANG, clunk clunk clunk, imagine what it would sound like if you were to drop a brick into a washing machine on spin cycle, and you will have a good idea of what it sounded like.

I instantly hit the clutch and dropped it into neutral, and the sound went away, I gently revved the engine in neutral and everything sounded ok. I gently put it back into 3rd gear let off on the clutch and I was able to make it the remaining 1/2 mile to my house, though I did not give it anymore gas than necessary. I had to stop due to oncoming traffic before making a left turn into my driveway, downshifting into first, I was able to pull into the driveway, and stop the car, all of this sounded normal.

Now for the big question, any thoughts on what I should inspect when I have daylight in the morning, I KNOW I did not hit anything, but have no idea what might go bang, thunk, thunk, thunk then have the engine and transmission seemingly drive ok afterward (note I have not tried 4th or 5th gear since the sound)

thanks
Isaac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:28 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
When you find out what it is, please post the results!

If it was me I would have AAA flatbed it to a mechanic.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
Old 01-03-2022, 01:05 PM   #3
Isaac1

I took it on about a 1 mile test drive this morning, it runs smooth, shifts through gears, but something squeals under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, I am assuming the clutch is slipping and the bang, thunk thunk thunk as the clutch failing and partly coming apart. I plan to take it to a local transmission shop in about an hour and get their opinion
Old 01-05-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
And their opinion was?
Old 01-06-2022, 11:37 PM   #5
Isaac1

I don't know yet, turns out they decided to close for 2 weeks vacation over Christmas / New Years, they will be back open on Monday.