Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #145
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgab101 View Post
guys so i found a motor with 29 000 kms on it! I want to rebuild the bottom end so forged pistons and rods!

How difficult is this DIY, i have pretty good knowledge on cars! I have the toyota 1nzfe full specs on engine remvoal and overhaul with pictures and instructions on how to do everything but can any one offer advice on ?
This recent thread is probably the best one on that subject:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=39407&page=4
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #146
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
pimp and his friend did it themselves. I had my bottom end built by someone else.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #147
djgab101

Drives: toyota yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
This recent thread is probably the best one on that subject:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=39407&page=4
i have been watching that thread has some really good pictures and information!

might see once all the parts how difficult it might be!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #148
djgab101

Finally got my car from the tow company Sunday I shall start stripping down my car! Find out wat actually happened to my engine!

Would everyone agree that my engine has been damaged from a bad tune? If it's only on 8psi with engine damaged tune seems to be the problem!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #149
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I know this is kinda far fetched.. but If it you had the money, when ever a check engine light comes on, the ecu will take snap shots of (correct me if im wrong) 10 seconds before the CEL came on and after. So you can see what ALL the sensors was reading when your engine blew up. Ex, oil pressure drop, fuel mixtures, knocks/pings.

only reason i say this is pure curiousity.. At lexus, we could see what happend and what RPM, engine temp, etc. the CEL took place and try to duplicate it.

Like I said. It's a long shot and would prob have to pay for a tow truck and pay a diag fee.. They can use thier laptop TechStream tool and print out a copy for you
Old 06-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #150
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I know this is kinda far fetched.. but If it you had the money, when ever a check engine light comes on, the ecu will take snap shots of (correct me if im wrong) 10 seconds before the CEL came on and after. So you can see what ALL the sensors was reading when your engine blew up. Ex, oil pressure drop, fuel mixtures, knocks/pings.

only reason i say this is pure curiousity.. At lexus, we could see what happend and what RPM, engine temp, etc. the CEL took place and try to duplicate it.

Like I said. It's a long shot and would prob have to pay for a tow truck and pay a diag fee.. They can use thier laptop TechStream tool and print out a copy for you
May need to go to a Toyota dealer to get scanned with the oem scanner to get that freeze frame info.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #151
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Building the engine yourself is certainly possible, but I wouldn't call it easy. I was lucky to have a friend with some experience with a few engine builds under his belt to help out with checking piston ring end gaps and assembling crank main caps just right. I also worked as a dealer mechanic for about 12 years. Although I installed many engines in that time and also removed many cylinder heads, I never rebuilt a lower end or short block. I am pretty sure I could pull it off this build by myself now but if I didnt have the helpful tips I got I may have just dropped the short block off at a "known good" engine builder.

Good luck whatever path U choose
Old 06-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #152
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
speaking of a good know engine builder, is Ptuning the only company that offers a bottom end build for the 1NZ-FE?
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #153
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Nope. We can get that done for you. My car is a great example of a reliable, well-built result.

Ptuning has a great rep as well, and might be geographically more desirable.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #154
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
yea but if I send it to Cali to get done then I get to bug you more :D ;) don't worry wont be soon but I'm starting to plan it more and more, now to give the wife some money for her down payment on a new 5.0 then I can reinvest money into another Yaris+build
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #155
djgab101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post

I know wat you talking about and yes that is a great idea but how much it would be is another thing cause toyota by me where not even interested in doing a basic service on my car cause it was modified i had to sign papers so they are liable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Building the engine yourself is certainly possible, but I wouldn't call it easy. I was lucky to have a friend with some experience with a few engine builds under his belt to help out with checking piston ring end gaps and assembling crank main caps just right. I also worked as a dealer mechanic for about 12 years. Although I installed many engines in that time and also removed many cylinder heads, I never rebuilt a lower end or short block. I am pretty sure I could pull it off this build by myself now but if I didnt have the helpful tips I got I may have just dropped the short block off at a "known good" engine builder.

Good luck whatever path U choose

thanks for ur advice! greatly apprepicated looking around and thinking all options avaliable
Old 06-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #156
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
I know wat you talking about and yes that is a great idea but how much it would be is another thing cause toyota by me where not even interested in doing a basic service on my car cause it was modified i had to sign papers so they are liable!
yea, completly understand. I still have small connections with toyota, until everyone I used to work with finally quit or retire, so I can get access to techstream tool. Again, if no connections its basicly if you have money to throw away.

Anywho.. good luck on your build.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #157
djgab101

Okay started pulling it apart haven't got the engine out but found a huge crack under the 4 cylinder smashed so bad hit my turbo piping made dents and small hole! Also have a major crack near the starter motor! Hopefully have the engine out and disassembled soon!! I will post photos tomorrow of the progress

Still umsure about my rebuild tho
Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #158
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Okay started pulling it apart haven't got the engine out but found a huge crack under the 4 cylinder smashed so bad hit my turbo piping made dents and small hole! Also have a major crack near the starter motor! Hopefully have the engine out and disassembled soon!! I will post photos tomorrow of the progress

Still umsure about my rebuild tho
Everybody loves pictures!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #159
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

+infinity
Old 06-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #160
thefalls

Drives: Axio GT
As above,pictures will be a boost for us.
thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #161
djgab101

Who can spot the Problem!? ahah

well i have finally got time for my car just need a engine hoist to take it out then ordered nesscairy parts to put it all back together again! my 4th cylinder was the problem seems rod broke made holes everywhere front bottom and back has holes! not sure about the top! i am sure u can see it in the pictures!
Attached Images
File Type: png photo1 (1).png (339.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: png photo2 (1).png (321.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: png photo3 (1).png (363.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: png photo4 (1).png (352.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: png photo5 (1).png (359.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: png photo6.png (318.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: png photo7.png (318.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: png photo1.png (330.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: png photo2.png (353.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: png photo3.png (289.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: png photo4.png (338.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: png photo5.png (351.1 KB, 89 views)
Old 06-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #162
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

whoa. OUCH