Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #19
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
those aren't usually called electronic crossovers. They are normally just called passive crossovers because they don't require a power source to operate. If you call them electronic crossovers, people might think you are talking about active crossovers which are the crossovers built into your amplifier, or a stand alone powered crossover like this

Also, passives 99.9% of the time are installed in line with the speaker wire, where as active is installed in line with the signal cable(RCA's). that .1% of the time I alluded to are things called Fmods

Hope you have a free weekend, cause you have your work cut out.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #20
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Where did you buy the digital decibel meter? and how much did you pay for it?
From HERE. Basically $30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
those aren't usually called electronic crossovers. They are normally just called passive crossovers because they don't require a power source to operate. If you call them electronic crossovers, people might think you are talking about active crossovers which are the crossovers built into your amplifier, or a stand alone powered crossover like this

Also, passives 99.9% of the time are installed in line with the speaker wire, where as active is installed in line with the signal cable(RCA's). that .1% of the time I alluded to are things called Fmods

Hope you have a free weekend, cause you have your work cut out.
I stand corrected! Thank you!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #21
Herbicidal

Well I managed to squeeze in maybe two hours tonight. I worked on deadening the right wheel well (just behind the white bottle of rubbing alcohol) and just about all of the rear deck. Next will be the drivers side rear wheel well, the floor under the rear seat and up to the back of the front seats, then I think I can install the rear speakers and put the back 1/2 of the car together again so I can drive it. After that, I think I will work on one door at a time. In the upper left corner of the picture you can see some wire and connectors. To much of a pain in the ass to deaden right there, so I put the RAAMmat on the inside of the 'C' panel plastic piece instead. Should work fine. One of my neighbors kids came by for a look and said "that's cool!". Made my night.

Here's just one pic from tonights work.

2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #22
Herbicidal

Well I realized last night that I overlooked getting some kind of speaker adapter to mount my new speakers in. So after some internet searching I found Car Speaker Adapters.com I found a set for the rear 6x9's and for the fronts too. They have already shipped via USPS, so hopefully by the middle of next week I'll have them. In the meantime, I'll continue with sound deadening, so by the time they arrive I should be ready to put the back 1/2 of the car together again.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #23
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Herb...

Did you have that nasty metal anchor on the C-pillars like I did? You knw, in the area that you didn't want to deaden because of the clips...
Old 05-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #24
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Herb...

Did you have that nasty metal anchor on the C-pillars like I did? You knw, in the area that you didn't want to deaden because of the clips...
No I didn't. You can just see one of the C pillar panels laying backside up (has a blue connector up in one corner) and there were like only 4 connectors I had to pop out. The panel on both sides came out real easy. I used a long screw driver to get next to each connector and slowly worked it out. No problem whatosever.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #25
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Okay...So you DON'T have the curtain airbag option? Just making sure. I know there is a metal "stud" (for lack of a better descriptor) that anchors the c-pillar in mine. Boy was it a headache to get off...
Old 05-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #26
Herbicidal

Quote:
Okay...So you DON'T have the curtain airbag option? Just making sure. I know there is a metal "stud" (for lack of a better descriptor) that anchors the c-pillar in mine. Boy was it a headache to get off...
Correct. No side air bags. Interesting that you do!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #27
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

It was an option that seemed good to have.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:39 AM   #28
Herbicidal

Quote:
It was an option that seemed good to have.
Agreed! My car was already built and sitting on a different dealers lot, not an option for me.

Spent a couple of more hours on it tonight. Kind of reached a milestone, at least for me anyway. I have almost reached the start of the carpet at the base of the rear seat. I'm almost done with RAAMmat for this 'phase'. Just a few more wide strips to get to the carpet. I plan on putting some Ensolite on the wheel wells to further reduce tire noise at those points. I may put some up on the "C" pillars too since that's about ear level with rear passengers.

Here's few pics from this evenings efforts.

98% done with rear as far as RAAMmat is concerned. I'm pretty well protected from aliens reading my brain waves, as long as I'm in the trunk. Oh, at the very back you can see bare metal. At the point in the trunk, it's double-walled and putting the RAAMmat there wouldn't really accomplish much. Maybe I'll do a strip of Ensolite there instead.

Looks like a giant Jiffy Pop popcorn container!

Several places I deadend the "C" pillar panels since there was stuff in the way on the body of the car. Hey! I just noticed I'm missing a triangle piece on the left one. And the one on the right is missing a small piece too! I'll fix that tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to place some Ensolite in there and maybe pick up some thick foam to put in the large space beneath the rear seat when it goes back in.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:05 AM   #29
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Tell me Rick isn't the $hit. I'm using his Ensolite...good stuff.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #30
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Looking GOOD!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #31
Herbicidal

Quote:
Tell me Rick isn't the $hit. I'm using his Ensolite...good stuff.
AND he's a really nice guy to deal with!

Quote:
Looking GOOD!
Thanks! Coming along, slowly but surely. I'm going to try and get in another two hours this evening.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #32
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Coming along, slowly but surely.
Hey I quit writing my hours in a log... it was embarrassing

Take your time!

That's what I do.
D.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #33
Herbicidal

Quote:
Hey I quit writing my hours in a log... it was embarrassing

Take your time!

That's what I do.
D.
Wow! I never even thought of keeping a log! Glad I didn't. Man, I love working with the Ensolite (peel and stick version)! Much like the RAAMmat, smaller sections work best since it sticks to everything! However, it's very easy to remove and reposition until you push it into it's permanent place. Last night I mostly completed the rear wheel wells and the floor area directly below the rear seat. Started on a section of the rear deck too. At this time, I am not going to do the trunk with Ensolite, just within the passenger compartment. No pics yet. I'm coming down with some kind of bug, so I went to bed early.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #34
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Wow! I never even thought of keeping a log! Glad I didn't. Man, I love working with the Ensolite (peel and stick version)!
That's the same stuff I'm getting from http://raamaudio I was tired of using the 3M 77 spray on the trim panels, Rick just changed his website but still offers the same materials. Also got more CLD Tiles from sound deadener showdown
Old 05-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #35
Herbicidal

I ordered my speaker adapters on Friday night last week and they arrived TODAY! All the way from PA! Holy smokes! All the way across the country in 3 days via USPS! That rocks! I spent some more time tonight doing the Ensolite, then fitted the adapters to the rear 6x9's and it's a perfect fit! This pic was before I mounted them so they are just sitting on top of the speaker. Even the tiny pre-drilled holes lined up perfectly. Now I need to wire up the new speakers and then I think I can start putting the back 1/2 of car together again.

If you need speaker adapters, I would HIGHLY recommend car-speaker-adapters.com.

Speaker adapters:
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #36
derickveliz2

How deep are your 6.5 speakers? how thick are the adapters? It's probably that you may end up putting a spacer to clear the magnet and the glass of your window.