Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via MSN to andries
Flywheel HP to wheel HP

Can someone tell me what about the loss in power, in percent, is between the flywheel and the driven wheels from a Yaris?

Do this also depends on the weight of the powertrain?
If the answer is yes means this that a large car with big wheels and for example a shaft to the back wheel loses more?

Thanks
andries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
If we assume that the engine puts out its claimed horsepower, then its about a 15% loss through a manual transmission when you compare it against what is measured at the wheels. 106hp vs. 90whp.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
If we assume that the engine puts out its claimed horsepower, then its about a 15% loss through a manual transmission when you compare it against what is measured at the wheels. 106hp vs. 90whp.
That sound nice. Today I measured with my ScanGauge 167 HP.
If the loss is 15% this means that I have 142 HP on the wheels.
I have the 1.8 2ZR-FE engine (stock 133 hp). The only engine mod is a K&N stock replacement air filter. (that's gain more power for less money)

Whether conditions, during the meeting, are optimal. Outside temperature was two degrees celsius what means the engine got optimal cold air.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

I would not trust a ScanGauge for accurate horsepower measurements. The most accurate would be a rolling road, ie, chassis dyno.

It is highly unlikely that a K&N drop-in filter will give you 34hp more at the crank. That's gains that you'd need forced induction to achieve.
TRD Blue brake pads
DC Sports header
Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Quote:
I would not trust a ScanGauge for accurate horsepower measurements. The most accurate would be a rolling road, ie, chassis dyno.

It is highly unlikely that a K&N drop-in filter will give you 34hp more at the crank. That's gains that you'd need forced induction to achieve.

I have stock about 133 hp on the wheels. 15% from 167 flywheel hp is 142 wheel HP.
That would mean that the K&N is give me about 9 HP more and not 34 HP you said.
Or will I now accounting wrong?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Your interpretation is wrong. I believe Toyota quotes 133hp for the 1.8 TS and that is a crank figure, not at the wheels.
TRD Blue brake pads
DC Sports header
Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Your interpretation is wrong. I believe Toyota quotes 133hp for the 1.8 TS and that is a crank figure, not at the wheels.
gotta remember that that 133hp is the "new" SAE rating.. which means it's actually more "old" SAE HP lol
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by andries View Post
That sound nice. Today I measured with my ScanGauge 167 HP.
If the loss is 15% this means that I have 142 HP on the wheels.
I have the 1.8 2ZR-FE engine (stock 133 hp). The only engine mod is a K&N stock replacement air filter. (that's gain more power for less money)

Whether conditions, during the meeting, are optimal. Outside temperature was two degrees celsius what means the engine got optimal cold air.
Those numbers are way off!!!

I've seen a few dyno charts of the 1.8 2ZR-FE

Stock this engine puts out between 118-120 WHP

A K&N drop in filter will net you 1-2 extra hp if anything at all...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
gotta remember that that 133hp is the "new" SAE rating.. which means it's actually more "old" SAE HP lol

The same engine is rated differently depending on the car and the market is from.

Some places will advertise it as a 128 Hp other at 133hp and others in 136hp.

As explained above the HP measurement depends on they way it's measured.

What is true and should remain the same is the actual HP numbers to the wheels.

As I said before this engine will put down 120WHP at the most in stock form.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Oke, thanks.

And numbers do not always say everything, he goes like the fire and that is the most important thing.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Time to dyno it and post the chart with the rest of them.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
09TRD

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, 09 Z51 'Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by andries View Post
If the loss is 15%..
"15%" has no basis in fact.

Here, read this:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...t_4/index.html

"...Paulsen also believes that drivetrain losses are neither an absolute percentage nor a fixed number. Instead, he feels the crank-to-wheel relationship is far more beguiling. From his considerable experience, Paulsen suggests that low horsepower (100-200 hp) cars may suffer from as much as 15 to 20 percent of drivetrain loss at the rear wheels. For more powerful cars (200-400 hp), the figure is around 12 to 15 percent. And for mega-powered cars (above 400 hp), the drivetrain losses can reduce to 10 percent or less. What's going on? Getting into the physics behind this complex relationship is worthy of a project in itself. (Engineering editor, Dave Coleman says he's working on it.)"

The type of dyno is also a factor. Two different types of dynos will likely yield two different results - even when all other variables are identical.

Chassis dynos are tuning tools; they do not nor were they ever intended to be used to somehow "calculate" flywheel power.
09TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

I explained that 15% is based on a comparison between quoted crank HP and recorded wheel HP. Yes, results vary according to type of dyno, even ambient weather conditions on the day.

It is my belief that flywheel HPs are quoted to eliminate the transmission from the equation and allow easy comparison to spec sheets as well as cars with AT or MT boxes.
TRD Blue brake pads
DC Sports header
Old 11-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #14
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09TRD View Post
"15%" has no basis in fact.

Here, read this:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...t_4/index.html

"...Paulsen also believes that drivetrain losses are neither an absolute percentage nor a fixed number. Instead, he feels the crank-to-wheel relationship is far more beguiling. From his considerable experience, Paulsen suggests that low horsepower (100-200 hp) cars may suffer from as much as 15 to 20 percent of drivetrain loss at the rear wheels. For more powerful cars (200-400 hp), the figure is around 12 to 15 percent. And for mega-powered cars (above 400 hp), the drivetrain losses can reduce to 10 percent or less. What's going on? Getting into the physics behind this complex relationship is worthy of a project in itself. (Engineering editor, Dave Coleman says he's working on it.)"

The type of dyno is also a factor. Two different types of dynos will likely yield two different results - even when all other variables are identical.

Chassis dynos are tuning tools; they do not nor were they ever intended to be used to somehow "calculate" flywheel power.
The 15% is meant to be a guide. It isn't fact.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #15
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Here's a thought... There are two types of weight on a car: Dead and spun. Dead weight is engine block, frame, chassis, seats, and anything else that is not moving. Spun weight is all pulleys, crank, shafts, pistons, cams, transmission, flywheel, wheels, and so on. It is harder to spin weight than to pull weight. If you take off only 3 to 4 pounds of spun weight, you will see far more increase in end HP than if you lost 30 to 40 pounds of dead weight. This has a LOT to do with the intake and exhaust (follow me closely now.....). If you allow the engine to breathe easier, it is taking stress off of the pistons and valves, allowing for more spun weight items to move easier. It is not just how MUCH air you can pump in and out, it's how EASY the air can get in and out. Ask anyone who has bought the underdrive pulley. Or the NST lightweight pulley kit. They will tell you they saw a dramatic increase in engine response and a good increase in HP. There are several blogs and posts here to prove that. So, if you want to make the HP a better flow and lose less % at the tires, lighten the spun weight between the engine and the tires. Carbon shafts, light weight flywheel, stiffening off the engine to the chassis (for less engine movement that is another type of spun weight and lost spun drive), and lighter rims and tires will all help a lot. The 15% thing is not just some strange number someone thought up... it's the number that threatens cars like ours. The reason super cars have less % loss at the tires is because they use lighter stuff in the power train. If we did the same weight and strength to power ratio, we could easily be at less than 10% loss as well. I wish I was rich so I cold prove this to everyone on a dyno. For now, you'll just have to believe what I type.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Anyone have any comments at all?
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #17
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric81 View Post
Anyone have any comments at all?
You are totally right.

A more efficient and lighter drive train will reduce the amount of power lost.

The problem is that other than flywheel / Pulleys and some other stuff there is not much you can do within a budget. The HP / $$$ ratio just doesn't justify those kind of mods. That's why people will try to make more power ( Forced induction) other than figure out ways to loose less power.

Is cheaper to make power than to avoid losses.

F1 and other race cars are exceptions....
Old 11-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #18
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
so i should take out one of my axles to save spun weight ;) fkin car is 1wheel drive anyway ;)
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote