Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Has anyone tried taping into the parking lights for fog light installation (safe?)

So i was thinking about using scotch locks to tap into the parking lights for a very easy quick installation.

Something like this

What do you guys think. The circuit is fused so i dont think it will cause any damage before it blows. Dont feel like wiring in a switch and i just want them to come on when the parking lights are turned on and or when headlights are on and off when they are off. So this would be a very quick and simple way.

Only issue i think it would cause more current to draw to the parking lights. I would only use a low wattage bulb to be on the safe side none of those extra bright bulbs that have been known to cause harness issues.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
not good, if you really want to do that you are going to want to use relays and only use the parking lights as the switched power to the relay. You will have to run a constant to the battery, or better yet, a hot only when the IGN is on
Old 03-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Okay how about this then. I pulled out all the dangly wires out of the ebay foglight kit I got. There are 2 wires that go to the fog lights. And 2 other wires. One thats red that goes to a relay and then a fuse and out. I am thinking running that directly to a constant power source or maybe just directly to the positive terminal of the battery. Then there is another separate wire that is red thats separate from the fuse and relay wires. I am thinking that one has to be the signal to turn on. So i could just tap into the parking lights with that and probably do what you are suggesting.

Lastly there is one black wire which is probably ground.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
not good, if you really want to do that you are going to want to use relays and only use the parking lights as the switched power to the relay. You will have to run a constant to the battery, or better yet, a hot only when the IGN is on
This is what my friend did on my car. My foglights will always come on when ever the switch goes to parking lights or the headlights.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Where would you suggest to tap into for a good constant only when the ignition is on.

I just went out and quickly wired it up how i was guessing i with the wires and ground directly to the battery and then the other wire into the parking light. Fog lights lighted up. So i guess thats how im gona do it. So I am just wondering if it makes a real difference if i just wire it directly to the positive terminal or should i tap into something else. There is already a wire there for my amplifier i was thinking of tucking the wire into the plastic sleeve thats already around my amp wire so it still looks clean and then putting the eylet on the end of the bolt on the battery terminal. The ground i will probably just find a bare bolt somewhere to the chassy.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Dang now that im going to be in there it makes me want to get a H4 HID kit from garm. Gona have to run the kit wires to the fog light wiring harness then ill have wires all over the place.

But then it will look wierd having HID fogs but factory lights so ill have to buy a headlight HID kit as well...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
why not plug them into the factory wiring .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
+1
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
There is no wiring for the fog lights since they are aftermarket. Havent yet wired them up. So the HIDs plug into the harness for the aftermarket wiring which i would still have to wire up and run and then find places to mount and wire up the balasts as well maybe somewhere on inside of the bumper when i have it off.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:49 AM   #10
Altitude

I'm pretty sure all Yarii come prewired for fogs. The harness isn't there, but all the connection points needed are under the hood (near the battery) and under the dash. It's how I wired mine up using the aftermarket supplied harness.

I followed this DIY: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=fog+lights

Last edited by Altitude; 03-20-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #11
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I would definitely recommend doing this unless you really don't want a switch. It's simple and works flawlessly. The only difficult part is getting through the firewall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000397.jpg (81.8 KB, 145 views)
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I'm pretty sure all Yarii come prewired for fogs. The harness isn't there, but all the connection points needed are under the hood (near the battery) and under the dash. It's how I wired mine up using the aftermarket supplied harness.

I followed this DIY: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=fog+lights
Nope, not mine.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:34 AM   #13
YarisSedan

I had helped another member install his fogs for the LB. The sedan is a little different as well as the wiring harness that comes with the fog lights. I think to use the switch your going to have to go through the firewall.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #14
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I had helped another member install his fogs for the LB. The sedan is a little different as well as the wiring harness that comes with the fog lights. I think to use the switch your going to have to go through the firewall.
That sucks
Old 03-20-2010, 04:49 AM   #15
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
No you dont have to go through the firewall.
i have the PDF file showing how it is done
and it is the same as the lift back
all you need to do is some minor mods to the loom supplied with the kit .
doing it this way gives you the fog light symbol on the dash when they are going .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote