Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
trini_per4mance

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris S Sedan
My 2007 Yaris S doing 350,000 miles in less than 3yrs.

Hey guys, it's that time again for yet another update. As of today 7/20/09, I have hit the 350,000 mile mark. And, yes, I am still running on my original brakes and clutch. I have yet to have any mechanical failure, except for the alternator going out on me, which I replaced with another low mileage OEM one. The only thing I notice with the car is, I get some pinging from the motor when the engine is under load in any gear. I have never changed O2 sensors or Knock sensor. And I have no idea how long these parts are good for or when they need to be replaced. I will be posting my video on youtube as usual. so you guys can look forward to that. FYI, the only things I change on my yaris are, tires, oil, spark plugs, wipers, drive belt and all 4 shocks. I have never flushed the coolant or brake fluid. I only top them up when needed.

I must say, this is the by far the MOST reliable car I have ever driven or for that matter, come across in my lifetime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnTlNLz9Iqc

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/...le_cars/5.html

http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...-miles-on.html

Last edited by trini_per4mance; 07-21-2009 at 12:09 AM.
trini_per4mance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Once again, congrats!

If I can make a suggestion. Put the links of all your milestone threads in your sig to show the skeptics out there *coughcoughcoughC&Rcough* how reliable the Yaris really is

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
damn dude wtf u been doing in ur car. u live in FL and work in NY?? lol
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
chriswb

Drives: 09 Yaris Liftback
I hope all of our cars are as reliable as yours!
chriswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
trini_per4mance

Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
Once again, congrats!

If I can make a suggestion. Put the links of all your milestone threads in your sig to show the skeptics out there *coughcoughcoughC&Rcough* how reliable the Yaris really is
good idea krayzee. thanx!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
highwaypass
Captain Slow

Drives: '08 1.5 hatchback
congrats,man!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
hope mine makes it that far with no issues...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #8
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
thanks for the update!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 AM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris

Any word back from toyota sponsoring you or anything? They should at least put you in a commercial or something...
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Congrats! Nice work showing the reliability of the Yaris.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Congratulations!
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by trini_per4mance View Post
I have never flushed the coolant or brake fluid. I only top them up when needed.

You should consider changing your coolant. The reason i say this is because coolant become acid with time, and should be changed so it would not eat through the rad/engine.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Thanks for the update-I was just wondering how many miles you were up too a couple of days ago.
As far as the "pinging" problem you're having if your check engine light is not on I would start with a couple healthy doses of (reputable) fuel injector cleaner (such as Chevron Techron). Just be sure to "schedule" both doses for right before an oil change (I would run both doses back to back in your case).

Also if you have access to Shell brand gas I would try to use that exclusively or at least as often as possible. Shell has a well respected additive package.

I think I remember reading that you track your fuel mileage-any drop in fuel economy?

Thanks,

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #14
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
350,000 miles? That's amazing!

I remember reading somewhere that Toyota would give a new car to the original owner you hit 1,000,000 miles.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
trini_per4mance

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Thanks for the update-I was just wondering how many miles you were up too a couple of days ago.
As far as the "pinging" problem you're having if your check engine light is not on I would start with a couple healthy doses of (reputable) fuel injector cleaner (such as Chevron Techron). Just be sure to "schedule" both doses for right before an oil change (I would run both doses back to back in your case).

Also if you have access to Shell brand gas I would try to use that exclusively or at least as often as possible. Shell has a well respected additive package.

I think I remember reading that you track your fuel mileage-any drop in fuel economy?

Thanks,

R2
I actually added a Gumout fuel system additive yesterday and filled up with Chevron fuel. So far, no pinging. The pinging was actually intermittent. But, I think the additive took care of it so far.

As far as my gas mileage. Yes, I have seen a decrease in it. I only get 36mpg with my a/c on. I use to get 44mpg when I now got the car, even with intake, exhaust and headers.

thanx!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #16
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by trini_per4mance View Post
I actually added a Gumout fuel system additive yesterday and filled up with Chevron fuel. So far, no pinging. The pinging was actually intermittent. But, I think the additive took care of it so far.

As far as my gas mileage. Yes, I have seen a decrease in it. I only get 36mpg with my a/c on. I use to get 44mpg when I now got the car, even with intake, exhaust and headers.

thanx!
new sparkplugs, seafoam the bitch and then do an oilchange. Clean that intake manifold right out. Do a can in the intake line... and one in the gas tank.

if there is a problem with carbon/gunk.. that'll fix it up. Seafoam is only like $8 a can.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Cool, sounds like you've got a handle on it. I'd give it another dose right after this one for good measure.

Do you have access to an OBD 2 scanner with live data? If your mileage dosn't improve after the injecter cleaning it would be worth having someone look at the O2 sensors in real time and make sure they are still "up to snuff". They have certainly served you well up to this point and are far beyond their designed life expectancy :)

I thought I heard somewhere you use the Super Tech syn oil from Walmart and OEM Toyota filters at 5k mi intervals-is this true? Whatever you're using this is a great show! I realize you put the miles on quickly but considering the number of miles this is an extremely impressive display of reliability.

TIA

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #18
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
I love reading your posts, this is great. Whenever my friends give me gruff about my car I always bring you up. Keep the shiny up and the greasy down, lol.