Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #37
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by trini_per4mance View Post
The exterior of my car is in a mess. I never wash my car, b'cuz it doesn't make sense. The front of my car has a full bra. There are a couple areas on the hood and side of the car where the paint is chipped off all the way to the metal. My windshield has so many scratches and chips on it. The car has no dents or dings. Just a lot of chips. My headlights are chipped, scratched and faded a lot. My front lip was broken and ripped off after running over an 8ft alligator on I-75(Alligator Alley).
Time for a repaint? Might be worth it but could cost you a good $2,000 for an average quality job. It may seem necessary if you really intend on running it another 200,000, 300,000, or more miles. You don't want rusting to start. I would at least touch up the chips to prevent rust.

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #38
trini_per4mance

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The source of your pinging is carbon deposits on the cylinder head/pistons. You might consider having the head removed and decarbonized. Also ask them to check your valves and guides for replacement. (valve job) You really want to consider replacing the valves at this point because its POSSIBLE the head of one of them (probably an exhaust valve) could break off and smash up the engine. Your mileage decrease is probably due to valve sealing issues. I also have to believe your timing chain should be checked/replaced too. If it breaks it will destroy the engine. BTW have you had the ball joints/tie rods/steering rack checked? Any failure here and you crash/die. Good luck with it!
bronsin, I appreciate your technical input and suggestions. But, it's a Toyota I drive, not an American POS. I'm sorry if I sound ignorant. But, with the amount of driving I do, your average mechanical theory does not apply to me. Some maybe, but not all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnTlNLz9Iqc

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/...le_cars/5.html

http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...-miles-on.html
trini_per4mance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #39
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Quote:
bronsin, I appreciate your technical input and suggestions. But, it's a Toyota I drive, not an American POS. I'm sorry if I sound ignorant. But, with the amount of driving I do, your average mechanical theory does not apply to me. Some maybe, but not all.
well said... +1

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #40
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
your average mechanical theory does not apply to me.
Well Allrighty Then!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #41
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
When is the video coming up?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #42
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
A used engine with under 20,000 miles can be had for less than the price of head removal/valve job, and a maaco paint job good for 2-3 years can be had for under $300..
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #43
A-tron

Drives: Black hb
Super rad man. It gives me lots of miles to go with my car only just cresting 36000. If it was three years to the date you wouldhave dove 300 miles a day. Lol I like driving but that's a lot of sitting and shifting. Gratz!
Old 07-25-2009, 12:47 AM   #44
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
Quote:
American cars are pieces of shit? Thats some attitude you got there.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:43 AM   #45
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
Do you have nst crank pulleys installed?

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #46
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
A used engine with under 20,000 miles can be had for less than the price of head removal/valve job, and a maaco paint job good for 2-3 years can be had for under $300..

Yeah its getting too expensive to have anything fixed! Thats why we need to be DIY. I painted my 67 VW Bus (in two colors) for >$100 in 1980 and when I saw it in the junk yard the other day the paint was still pretty good! (five coats of enamel paint)
Theres something to be said for going the junkyard engine route but Id prefer to rebuild my own. You know whats been done to it that way.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #47
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
The trick is to know what vehicle its coming out of, if you do , you can get almost new everything, and assembly line certainty to roll of the dice rebuilding.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #48
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
trini, you are awesome, I'm glad you've posted again sooner since your last one. Always following your thread and better preparing myself for whatever i must face in the long run of the Yaris vehicle :)

I read the mods on your youtube links....just curious as to what brand of mods they are:
intake
header
lowering springs
strut bar/sway bar
etc...

Thanks as always...
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #49
trini_per4mance

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
Do you have nst crank pulleys installed?
NO, I don't have an NST crank pulley installed. I had one, but I sold it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnTlNLz9Iqc

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/...le_cars/5.html

http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...-miles-on.html
trini_per4mance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #50
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Exclamation

do you have an exhaust system as well? I'm baffled that you'd drive so much with an intake and header, doesn't the noise get to you after a while? I suppose if you have the factory muffler on you're probably okay.
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #51
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
In your Youtube links its says under 'more info' you are running under drive pulley/s...so not anymore? or is it a c-one brand?
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #52
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The source of your pinging is carbon deposits on the cylinder head/pistons. You might consider having the head removed and decarbonized. Also ask them to check your valves and guides for replacement. (valve job) You really want to consider replacing the valves at this point because its POSSIBLE the head of one of them (probably an exhaust valve) could break off and smash up the engine. Your mileage decrease is probably due to valve sealing issues. I also have to believe your timing chain should be checked/replaced too. If it breaks it will destroy the engine. BTW have you had the ball joints/tie rods/steering rack checked? Any failure here and you crash/die. Good luck with it!
I've had a few cars get into the 200k mileage, so I'm glad you write about the obvious need for maintenance, b/c I don't think the OP is doing proper maintenance (brakes, balljoints, etc.), especially when safety is a factor. I also mentioned the valves earlier, but I don't think I went into detail as you did here. i'm not sure what else the tapping could be, as valves go at this point in time.
@ trini: but still, 350k is amazing, are you the google maps guy? lol
I knock on wood for you!
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:12 AM   #53
wornways

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Stickshift
That pinging might be the beginnings of some rod-wear. My Geo started doing that about 80k miles ago. Still runs great, but I couldn't trust it anymore for long distance travel due to the noise and slight power loss. When a few mechanics confirmed my suspicion, I bought my Yaris. The Geo has 230k miles. 350+K miles sounds good--if my back holds out. Trying to reach the steering wheel is slowly destroying it.
wornways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #54
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornways View Post
That pinging might be the beginnings of some rod-wear. My Geo started doing that about 80k miles ago. Still runs great, but I couldn't trust it anymore for long distance travel due to the noise and slight power loss. When a few mechanics confirmed my suspicion, I bought my Yaris. The Geo has 230k miles. 350+K miles sounds good--if my back holds out. Trying to reach the steering wheel is slowly destroying it.

Rod bearings with play in them do not hang around for 80,000 miles, they quickly self destruct. Probably all you needed was a valve job. Although after 230k miles a new car would be a lot more dependable...