Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
s3la

Drives: 2013 Toyota Yaris SE
Voice Recognition Issue

Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of a 2013 Yaris SE. I've run across an issue with voice recognition, in regards to placing phone calls.

My device is paired and all contacts have been transferred.
I can use my device to manually place a call but I haven't been successful with the "Hold "Call" until you hear a beep then say "Call/Dial John Doe"" tactic.
I've thoroughly reviewed both manuals for the head unit and the car and have not been able to find where I might be going wrong.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it is a fault in the car.

Any advice on how to successfully place a call, using voice recognition, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by s3la; 05-16-2013 at 01:17 PM.
s3la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
s3la

So, after further research and meddling with my head unit, I have concluded that I''ve been mistaken. Though various commentary and visual evidence would suggest the presence of voice recognition in the SE, that is not the case.

In short: I've been chasing a ghost.

I would just delete my original post out of shear embarrassment, but my mistake might save someone else from exposing their own noobishness, in the future.

Thusly, I will now retreat back into my hole of shame. Good day!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
LOL, it won't pair with my old Samsung. I am not upgrading phones to go with the car! My Garmin does work with my phone and I have made and taken calls on handsfree thru the GPS (not very good, but works).
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
s3la

That's a bummer; about it not pairing with your Samsung. But it's good that you can link through your Garmin, at least. Just in case, you ever have to get a new phone, you can check compatibility via this link: http://www.toyota.com/connect/

I have an HTC One X; it pairs and connects just fine. Turns out, everything works the way it's supposed to. I just didn't realize that voice recognition doesn't come standard. I can take calls and such through the car; it was just a noob mistake on my part.

I appreciate your input. :)
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
HowlingKing

Drives: Integra DC5R, Yaris ZR
Voice recognition function of the unit is so crap! It would be more efficient and less frustrating to just do it manually.
HowlingKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
arose62

Drives: yaris
I've just bought a Yaris YR (bottom of the range in Australia), and it has voice recognition - there's a button on the top right of the stereo (above the off-hook and on-hook phone buttons) which activates the voice recognition.

I must agree with HowlingKing - why would you push a button, wait for the car to ask for a command, speak, (possibly repeat the above steps), wait for a confirmation request, say "Yes", wait, and finally have the action taken, when the alternative is just push a button?

I explained this to my 10 y.o. daughter, and she nearly wet herself laughing at the ridiculousness of it all :)

I'd love to have someone come up with a serious scenario where this would actually be useful...

Cheers,
Andrew
arose62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone calls, recognition, voice, yaris