Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
WolfWing - That would be GREATLY appreciated if you could test that out for me. And true that, for a live-fire test
Also, thanks for the dimmer tip....it worked. When my lights were on, they toggled to dim and then back to bright when lights off..Keep us updated~

CTScott - I just texted Gideon, he has ABS on his. So...i will try to find someone to test out JDM cluster on a non-ABS 08' model...With WolfWing's test results and mine after swapping the clusters from our friends, i hope it will provide you with more concrete solution...

I know Kragen Auto Parts can order refurbished car parts for almost any model...can they order ECM too? I may order it through them instead of ebay or junkyard..

P.S. What does ECM actually stand for? (electronic control management?)
Sorry for asking this so late in this problem...
The ECM (engine control module) is also know as the ECU (engine control unit). If you shop around ebay and junkyards (www.car-parts.com is a national registry of junk yard parts), you can sometimes find them for $50 or less. I missed out on an ebay one for $34.99, when I was looking for one to run on my test bench (Garm loaned me his and I actually have it running one my desk with a bunch of simulated sensor feed circuits for my YarGauge development).

Typically when people sell them they either list the vehicle's VIN and/or what year/features it had (3dr, 5dr or sedan, transmission type, ABS, etc.)
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #20
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
I wanted to say if it was similar to ECU or that actually..but thanks for clarifying CTScott. And very much appreciated for the link. I will look on that for the 08 ECU after cluster tests....

I dont mind spending another $100 on making this cluster work.

I know Toyota wont install an 08 ECU on an 07...so best possible place to get this done?

I just checked that link out Scott, no ECU on there in the list for the Yaris...I'll check ebay mostly as i dont think i have time to go to junkyards and look for one...

Last edited by Kioshi; 10-13-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #21
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Yeah Kioshi there are tons of ECUs on eBay for about $150.

Although I found this one interesting:

Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

^^^^Wow.....

Lots of 2007 ECUs on there..I'll keep looking for an 08 manual tranny LB ecu..

If you guys happen to find them before me, post the link on here kindly
Old 10-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I wanted to say if it was similar to ECU or that actually..but thanks for clarifying CTScott. And very much appreciated for the link. I will look on that for the 08 ECU after cluster tests....

I dont mind spending another $100 on making this cluster work.

I know Toyota wont install an 08 ECU on an 07...so best possible place to get this done?

I just checked that link out Scott, no ECU on there in the list for the Yaris...I'll check ebay mostly as i dont think i have time to go to junkyards and look for one...
Best place is right in your driveway. 4 screws and 2 connectors and your done.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Yeah Kioshi there are tons of ECUs on eBay for about $150.

Although I found this one interesting:

That's for a 1st gen Vitz.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #25
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Damn, I thought it looked different than our ECU too. Boo.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #26
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

I did search for a DIY on swapping ECUs...and found this thread - http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...light=ecu+swap

Mike aka mikenacarato says all 09' are equipped w/ ABS, have to find out if all 08's were ABS as well.....

CTScott - this is the location of the ECU i have to swap for an 08 one right?

Sedan and hatchback share the same ECU? or should i get a hatchback one specifically?
Do i have to remove the whole dash, looks to be that way to get to the 4 screws....

Last edited by Kioshi; 10-13-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #27
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
not all 08s had abs
Old 10-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #28
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That's the main body ECU (which handles things like door locks on a so equipped car). The ECM is the silver box under the hood against the firewall on the left side (with the two big black connectors).
Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #29
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

So I would need to be looking for Engine ECM/ECU, correct?

Are there reports of anyone having done this in the past, compatible....? CTScott, you have an Garm's ECU..is it identical to the 09's?
Going to small junkyard next week..

Last edited by Kioshi; 10-14-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So I would need to be looking for Engine ECM/ECU, correct?

Are there reports of anyone having done this in the past, compatible....? CTScott, you have an Garm's ECU..is it identical to the 09's?
Going to small junkyard next week..
Correct on what you are looking for.

The 06-09 ECMs all look identical, but there are different part numbers on them depending on the features of the car they are used on.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #31
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Now from what you've told me, the main features the Engine ECM needs to hold is: Manual tranny, liftback, and ABS?

Would a sedan ECU make a difference, or does it have to be liftback? Lots of sedan ECUs on ebay......
Old 10-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Now from what you've told me, the main features the Engine ECM needs to hold is: Manual tranny, liftback, and ABS?

Would a sedan ECU make a difference, or does it have to be liftback? Lots of sedan ECUs on ebay......
Actually, if Gideon's car is non-ABS and the speedo worked, then you want a non-ABS one. If you put an ABS one in your car, it still may not work, since you don't have the Brake Actuator to send the speed info to the cluster.

I believe that a sedan ECM would be fine in a LB.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #33
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

CTScott, Gideon confirmed to me that his car had ABS in it. Installing an ABS enabled ECM would enable to send speed info through brake actuator then for me? Or would i need to hunt down a brake actuator as well?

Ok, I'll dig up on sedan ECMs as well now...
Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
CTScott, Gideon confirmed to me that his car had ABS in it. Installing an ABS enabled ECM would enable to send speed info through brake actuator then for me? Or would i need to hunt down a brake actuator as well?

Ok, I'll dig up on sedan ECMs as well now...
You don't have ABS, so you don't have the brake actuator.

I really think that before you spend money on an ECM, that you should test it on an 08 with no ABS.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #35
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

I'll go ahead and do that. But chances of finding someone with an 08 without ABS is slim to none, at least for me in California.. :(

I called my Toyota dealership today and they said they cannot install ABS on my car. Supposedly it comes from the factory installed... So I'm shit out of luck if ABS is required CTScott....

Update 3: SO i had a passenger sitting in my car and the airbag light indicator near the right side vent DOES turn on, but seatbelt indicator does NOT...thats fine for me...no more beep noise~

Do you know of anyone around you w/ an 08 non-ABS yaris lb CTScott? I could ship it out to you, me paying the expenses both ways...
Old 10-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #36
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'll go ahead and do that. But chances of finding someone with an 08 without ABS is slim to none, at least for me in California.. :(

I called my Toyota dealership today and they said they cannot install ABS on my car. Supposedly it comes from the factory installed... So I'm shit out of luck if ABS is required CTScott....

Update 3: SO i had a passenger sitting in my car and the airbag light indicator near the right side vent DOES turn on, but seatbelt indicator does NOT...thats fine for me...no more beep noise~

Do you know of anyone around you w/ an 08 non-ABS yaris lb CTScott? I could ship it out to you, me paying the expenses both ways...

Actually, Crashy is an 08 non-ABS LB.