Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #37
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Actually, Crashy is an 08 non-ABS LB.
Is it still functional, to drive a few mph at least? Sorry I haven't been reading the thread

If so, would you do the honors?
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #38
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
Is it still functional, to drive a few mph at least? Sorry I haven't been reading the thread

If so, would you do the honors?
She's fully drivable (not road legal, but still she can cruise).

She'd be a perfect test platform. And, if it doesn't work on her, I can try it on my 09 while sniffing the CAN bus to see if I can figure out a way to make it work. Thanks to my YarGauge development project I now have a fully functional homemade CAN bus sniffer.

I'll PM you my shipping address.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #39
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
That's the main body ECU (which handles things like door locks on a so equipped car). The ECM is the silver box under the hood against the firewall on the left side (with the two big black connectors).
Left side? I thought that the reference for the left and right sides of the car were the driver's left and right hands when seated behind the wheel. For example, on North American cars, the steering wheel is on the left side. The ECU is on the right side. Or am I wrong?
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #40
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Lets hope it works on Crashy.
That be really nice if you could figure out to make it work on an 07 Yaris LB if the latter doesn't work.

Actually I have a gap in my schedule to ship out tomorrow, first thing in the morning. You should get it by Monday at the latest....

Thank you Scott.

Sir A.Y. Atoyot - i think CTScott meant from the perspective of looking at your engine bay standing in front of it. It is on the right from that view..
Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #41
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Correct. I was thinking of your right or left as you are standing there with the hood open.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #42
advocate

Drives: car
Friday Kioshi. But you don't need to buy me Lunch =)
I'll be on the 5th floor of the 7th garage parked near the stairs down. Although you'll beat me there you should park up there first.

For reference my car has 0 packages. It's completely bare bones.

Edit: Just saw you're about to ship it to CTScott. Texting you now just because we might as well try it in my car to make sure that it didn't just break or something. Might as well give it a shot before you send it off for a week or two.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #43
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

The cluster is in CTScott's hands now.
advocate - my moron brother mailed it earlier...

Now the fun begins....
Old 10-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #44
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
The cluster is in CTScott's hands now.
advocate - my moron brother mailed it earlier...

Now the fun begins....
It arrived late this afternoon. I will give it a try in the morning.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #45
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

hope it was packed good enough...

Ok, cool.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #46
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
hope it was packed good enough...

Ok, cool.
It was well packed. I hooked it up as soon as I got home tonight, but unfortunately with Crashy not having any lights, it was too dark to take it for a spin.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #47
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I just tested it on Crashy, and the speedometer doesn't work either. She is an 08, with an automatic transmission and no ABS. The gear indicator does work, as you can see in the video below.

http://s372.photobucket.com/albums/o...r-Nospeedo.flv

So, now to figure out how to make it work.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #48
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

strange...maybe your assumption of it needing ABS could be true....

fingers crossed that the CAN bus can tell you how to bypass the ABS...
Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #49
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
strange...maybe your assumption of it needing ABS could be true....

fingers crossed that the CAN bus can tell you how to bypass the ABS...
My CAN bus sniffer is proving very helpful. Last night I isolated all of the CAN bus message ID's (about 24 distinct ones on Crashy, who's an 08) to specific CAN devices. This requires unplugging all of the CAN devices except the ECM, and then plugging them in one at a time and sniffing the BUS.

I then sniffed my 09 (who has ABS) and found 12 additional message IDs. I haven't isolated the 09 ones to specific devices yet, as the devices are no where near as accessible as they are on Crashy. One of the new ones that I found on the 09 corresponds with one that someone doing CAN development on the Prius figured out to be the broadcast message of the vehicle speed.

So, hopefully tonight I'll have time to run my 09 on stands while sniffing the "speed" message to see if it does correspond.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #50
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
My CAN bus sniffer is proving very helpful. Last night I isolated all of the CAN bus message ID's (about 24 distinct ones on Crashy, who's an 08) to specific CAN devices. This requires unplugging all of the CAN devices except the ECM, and then plugging them in one at a time and sniffing the BUS.

I then sniffed my 09 (who has ABS) and found 12 additional message IDs. I haven't isolated the 09 ones to specific devices yet, as the devices are no where near as accessible as they are on Crashy. One of the new ones that I found on the 09 corresponds with one that someone doing CAN development on the Prius figured out to be the broadcast message of the vehicle speed.

So, hopefully tonight I'll have time to run my 09 on stands while sniffing the "speed" message to see if it does correspond.
If the 09 corresponds to the Prius broadcast message of the vehicle speed, what would that mean?

Isn't the speed some how related to the mpg meter on the Prius. I know on the older models depending on what speed you were cruising at, it corresponded to the mpg you would be getting....
Old 10-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #51
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
If the 09 corresponds to the Prius broadcast message of the vehicle speed, what would that mean?

Isn't the speed some how related to the mpg meter on the Prius. I know on the older models depending on what speed you were cruising at, it corresponded to the mpg you would be getting....

The ECM gets the speed info and then broadcasts it over the CAN for whomever needs it (power steering ECU, etc.). The only significance to the Prius is that someone figured out that particular message. Other than the standard OBD protocol over CAN, there is little to no information out there, so it typically takes lot of work to figure out what data the messages contain.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #52
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
The ECM gets the speed info and then broadcasts it over the CAN for whomever needs it (power steering ECU, etc.). The only significance to the Prius is that someone figured out that particular message. Other than the standard OBD protocol over CAN, there is little to no information out there, so it typically takes lot of work to figure out what data the messages contain.
Oh, i see, that would make it easy then. Hope it matches up to the Prius's code, seeing that they both use the 1.5 liter engine...

This cluster just went from being interesting to complicated in my head now...lol
Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #53
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Oh, i see, that would make it easy then. Hope it matches up to the Prius's code, seeing that they both use the 1.5 liter engine...

This cluster just went from being interesting to complicated in my head now...lol

It is looking like the two possible solutions for it may be:

1. Install an ABS equipped ECM (but then the question is if you have an ABS ECM without actually having ABS will there be any issues).

2. Build a device that simulates the broadcasting of the speed data. This one sounds crazy, but is actually not that bad. With my YarGauge development work, I have a reference design that I can use. I can already read the speed from the ECM, so I just need to repackage that data into the correct message for the cluster.

Provided that I can figure out the CAN messaging for speed (or that the Prius message ID is the same and therefore I already have), then this is actually fairly simple. And, the hardware that I am using is not too expensive, so I should be able to provide a packaged solution for about $30.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #54
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
sounds like a lot of work

looks like it would of been better just to get the USDM cluter, its a bit more but at least everything will read out in MPH rather then KM.

I would buy a car with a swapped cluster that was in KM

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote