Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Oh,That Guy.
Blacksheep Asian.

Drives: 1998 Galant ES
1st-Time Buyer Seeking Advice

Alrighty, I've been snooping around and what better way than to just sign up and inquire the knowledge of Yaris-fans.

Some quick info:
  • College Student.
  • Working part-time (trying to go as full-time through the fall semester).
  • Avg income 400-450 a month (which I barely use aside from gas).
  • No credit history. (Probably Co-Sign)?
  • Basic student loans (nothing outstanding, yay for grants).

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Galant pushing 180k miles dead on the tracks (timing belt broke -> bent ALL the valves -> needs pretty much a new cylinder head).

At this point, I just realized it might be better off to just go look for a medium-low mileage economical car. And we pretty much know what I've been looking at...
  • 2007 Yaris S 4d Sedan.
  • Includes Trim.
  • Normal Wear & Tear.
  • Used.
  • Black.
  • Automatic Transmission.
  • Power Package. (loaded with neat stuff)
  • 60k Miles.

Listed at the price $9,988. (which probably excludes extra fees).

I left them an e-mail and and the person who contacted me in regards to if they have any programs that could help a bloke like me. Now seeing as this is my first time even trying to looking a car, I seek the advice of the members of this forums as far as tips into successfully getting this car without hassle and possible lowering the advertised price (haggling powers go)!

And let's face it, in Texas - not having a car in the DFW metroplex = not good. I live 20 miuntes away from UNT and I work in Grapevine... So yeah I need a workhorse car that's reliable...

The Yaris has definitely impressed me (from all the reviews I've read).

So yes, help away! Kthnx.
Oh,That Guy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Look hard.

I got mine 2 weeks ago which is a 08 manual liftback with 19k miles for $8500. I thought it was bone stock but when I went to get it from the dealer it had the audio and convenience packages. Oh, and it had the armrest to boot! (On a side note, the window sticker said the armrest was a $125 option. WTF?!?)

Some places keep the price pretty high on used ones because 1) they are cheap to buy new and there isn't much wiggle room / not much depreciation and 2) it's a toyota.

I got lucky as it seemed to me the dealer I bought it from didn't really look up anything but the KBB price on a base Yaris (that is what they had it listed for online $9,784 but they called me 3 days later and said $8500). I had to drive 100miles away to find it so be vigilent.

It's funny because I saw 07 and 06 liftbacks that were pretty stock with ~60k miles for more than I paid.

Mine is practically brand new and I feel like I stole it! lol

Just tell them that you have a certain amount to spend and ask what they can do. My situation might be slightly different because I had cash.
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Oh,That Guy.
Blacksheep Asian.

Yeah, assuming I put no-money down... They gave me a basic practical payment estimator example of 6% APR with no down coming at $200/month on a 60-month term.

Assuming that the car buyer world isn't pretty, I'm pretty sure they're not gonna give a 0% APR, $0 down offer, with a 72-month term :P.

I did look around quite a bit for a Yaris S and most of them do hit 10k+ with the same package with similar mileages...

So yeah at the same time I'll be lookin' around 'til I can make sense with the current dealership.

[EDIT]
I originally did a search of it through Autotrader.com -> decided to push the distance to 200 miles and honestly this is the only Yaris S that comes up (including that subtle sexy trim) and with everything I'm kinda looking for in a bargain vehicle. Honestly even I think it's a good deal (prehaggle lol) and I want to make sure this vehicle doesn't have skeletons.

(metaphorically and literally).

But hell, first time buyer... I find everything to be a bargain.

[EDIT x2 YAR]
After just randomly creeping the intertubez, I manage to find a newly listed (but not new):
  • 2008 Yaris S 2d HB/LB.
  • (No Picture Yet)
  • Normal Wear & Tear.
  • Used.
  • Blue.
  • Manual Transmission. <-- GAH!
  • Power Package. (Also Loaded)
  • 90k Miles.

All for $7,881. My biggest concern is the mileage but I don't know if that's considered low in Toyota standards... PLUSSSS!!!! I don't know how to drive M/T (manual) -_- which irks me that I can't.

Last edited by Oh,That Guy.; 07-22-2010 at 01:58 AM. Reason: added more tidbits.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh,That Guy. View Post
PLUSSSS!!!! I don't know how to drive M/T (manual) -_- which irks me that I can't.
No time like the present to learn.

The Yaris is my first MT car. I'd had prior experience of people teaching me ('89 Wrangler, WrX (don't remember the year), '09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI). But every car/transmission/clutch is different. So just driving the car home that Friday night I picked it up, that was interesting. Stalled I don't know how many times. Tried taking off in 3rd a few times (not sure how I managed that one). But the point is that I did make it home. I did learn to drive it. And now, not quite a year later, I think I stall it maybe once every couple months (usually on a steep hill). I stall his '09 Jetta TDI more than mine, and his is supposed to be the better clutch...

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
just searching autotrader and found this one in your area you might be interested in:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I wouldn't worry too much with the mileage on these cars. In my very own opinion, the mileage is going to hurt the value (monetary) of the car more than actual reliability.

And, IMHO, the manual is the ONLY way to go on the Yaris. The automatic really sucks all what little power the car had to begin with.

I wouldn't go near auto on these:D
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Oh,That Guy.
Blacksheep Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
just searching autotrader and found this one in your area you might be interested in:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Interesting find, I dunno how I missed this one.

On a similar subject, what's the input from dealerships such as this? Granted they do offer no credit service just like the bigger toyota dealerships, can I expect the same kind of salesmanship and cooperation?

Even though I may be a 1st time buyer - I'm doing what it takes to not get low-blowed on the whole situation.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
good to see a buyer who is actually doing the proper things to do before buying...good luck with the car hunting

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Oh,That Guy.
Blacksheep Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmoon87 View Post
good to see a buyer who is actually doing the proper things to do before buying...good luck with the car hunting
Yeah I AM pressed for time since I need it for college starting late in August, but like I said...

I'm doing what it takes not to get wtf-pwnt on a deal (so yes I'll haggle if I have to). lol

Old 07-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Oh,That Guy.
Blacksheep Asian.

Bump...

For the greater good.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/compar...pare=275295192

Alrighty! These are the three I've narrowed it down to as far as personal preference. Any more advice would be lovely.

Last edited by Oh,That Guy.; 07-25-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
brg88tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh,That Guy. View Post
Bump...

For the greater good.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/compar...pare=275295192

Alrighty! These are the three I've narrowed it down to as far as personal preference. Any more advice would be lovely.
the silvery green looks gay, just mho.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Oh,That Guy.
Blacksheep Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
the silvery green looks gay, just mho.
Honestly, it does. Haha.

It cost way too much IMHO. It's honestly down to the two other cars. And the internet sales manager has been keeping in touch with me as far as the black Yaris S goes. She's been very helpful as far as making dealing with the hassles and nonsense.

Just finishing up my credit pre-approval stuff(cosigned with my brother who has excellent credit).
Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
fluke_boy

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 dr hb
Why not choose the one with the lowest price and the lowest mileage - the third one in that link? You are woking your butt off on this search - hope you ge the best one of the bunch. Good luck with your search and with your college studies.
fluke_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 AM   #14
Oh,That Guy.
Blacksheep Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke_boy View Post
Why not choose the one with the lowest price and the lowest mileage - the third one in that link? You are woking your butt off on this search - hope you ge the best one of the bunch. Good luck with your search and with your college studies.
the only reason I was put off by that one was where it was being sold. But then I guess beggars shouldn't be choosers.

I'll have to make my way to that area eventually and check them both regardless.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
brg88tx

here's 3 more in dfw area with low miles:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1280175386846
Old 07-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I have to respectfully disagree to avoid the auto at all costs on these cars. I too remember what an auto would do to a NA 4 banger, suck power. BUT not really that much in the case of the yaris. I first test drove a auto hatch and was actually very impressed how responsive it was, and I bought it (some 84k miles later) I don't regret my decision one bit. Yes, the manual can be more fun to drive (have an 09 with a MT), but don't knock the auto, it's quite responsive.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #17
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I have to respectfully disagree to avoid the auto at all costs on these cars. I too remember what an auto would do to a NA 4 banger, suck power. BUT not really that much in the case of the yaris. I first test drove a auto hatch and was actually very impressed how responsive it was, and I bought it (some 84k miles later) I don't regret my decision one bit. Yes, the manual can be more fun to drive (have an 09 with a MT), but don't knock the auto, it's quite responsive.
I have to agree, the auto in the Yaris is a very pleasant surprise!
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #18
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I don't think anyone wants to drive a MT in SF with all the hills. Sometimes an auto is better. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,77.5,,0,16.64

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote