Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Replacing spark plug wire with bell wire

It was in November 1973 my freshman year of college. My friend William said his 1966 Renails would not start and could I give him a hand fixing it? I’ve never worked on one before but I told him I would do my best.

Right away when we open the hood I saw the problem. Chunks of insulation were falling off the spark plug wires! I’ve never seen such a mess before. I arranged three of the wires so they wouldn’t touch the block but this was impossible with the fourth one. I proposed to William that we replaced the wire with bell wire from the science lab as he only had enough money to make it home for Thanksgiving and I had $50 in the bank that would only last me the rest of the year. A new set of spark plug wires was $18

It was easy to connect one end of the wire to the spark plug because it was threaded, but how to attach the end to the distributor? I solve the problem by Whittling a twig with my Swiss Army knife until it fit the hole in the distributor cap. I use the twig to wedge the wire in place being careful not to crack the distributor cap! That would’ve been the end of everything!

I told William the wire would probably vanish in a puff of smoke when he started it, but to my surprise not only didn’t that happen the car started and ran sweetly.

I warned William this was only a temporary fix to borrow the money from his father during Thanksgiving and replace that green piece of bell wire!

Fast forward to senior year. William asked me to help him change the oil in his car just before we graduated. When I open the hood to my considerable surprise The piece of green bell wire was still there almost 4 years later! He didn’t have much money and didn’t see any reason to change it since it rained so well!The piece of green bell wire was still there almost 4 years later! He didn’t have much money and didn’t see any reason to change it since it ran so well!
Old 11-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
MacGyver
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote