Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-18-2017, 03:09 AM   #1
ThinkPad

Drives: Yaris XP9 1.3 '06
What is this rattling noise when flooring the gas pedal?

When driving around 70kmh/43mph (2000-2200rpm) in 5th gear and then flooring the gas pedal gives a rattle. I can easily recreate it in the 5th gear, but in 4th gear with rpm around 2000-2200 rpm also works.
I have made a video of it: https://youtu.be/Ga3pMcmMQEw (best to listen with headphones to hear it good). The sound is coming from the front/engine bay of the car.

It happens at:
0:04
0:14
0:23

Does anyone know what this is?

Edit: Took it to the Toyota dealer, a mechanic had a drive with it. Conclusion is that it isn't anything critical. He thought it was something with the exhaust. He lifted the car and checked some things. He said it wasn't the timing chain. He thought it was something with building up pressure. As it only happens with low rpm in high gear i am reassured :)

Still interested in your answers though, as i haven't heared this on any other car i have driven, when driving low rpm in high gear. Usually the car justs begins to vibrate/hum a bit, but not rattle like this.

Last edited by ThinkPad; 09-14-2021 at 06:42 AM.
ThinkPad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Maybe just an exhaust leak.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
ThinkPad

Nope.

When covering the rear end of the exhaust with my hand, i don't hear any hissing so the exhaust is not leaking.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
If the front manifold donut gasket is wearing out, I doubt very much you would here a hiss while standing at the back. Right now, my money is on that gasket.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
knocking?pinging? pre-ignition? detonation?

knocking?pinging? pre-ignition? detonation? (there's another word for it or something similar relating to problem w/ small displacement turbocharged vehicles.)
re: "rattling" in 5th
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
ThinkPad

Nah, engine runs fine otherwise.

I think the front donut gasket could be the issue after seeing examples on the forum how bad they could look.
The car is 11 years old, so i could imagine it has been eaten up a bit by the elements. Will have a look sometime when i have the car jacked up. It isn't that critical for now.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #7
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
pinging engine runs fine until it holes a piston
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:51 AM   #8
ThinkPad

I still have this noise. It has been 3 years since I started this topic and the engine still runs fine, so it can’t be that critical I guess?

I use 10W40 oil, I read that it can let the timing chain make more noise compared to using 5W30 oil. Could that be a plausible explanation?

What makes it difficult in finding the cause is that i only can recreate this sound while driving. I cannot trigger it when jacking up the car while having it run idle and/or revving.

I replaced the exhaust gaskets a while ago because it was leaking. Also re-attached the heatshield in the middle of the car, as one of the mounting points broke off. But i still have this problem when flooring the gas when joining the highway for example, when the engine has more load.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:55 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Why are you flooring your car at low speed/rpm and in high gear? There is no performance to be gained and this dramatically increases cylinder pressures. You are lugging your engine. What octane rating fuel are you using? This is a fairly high compression ratio engine (11:1) and as such should be using premium 91 (North America) or regional equivalent. Although I can't make out any sounds in your video (I wasn't wearing headphones), I'm with dogsridewith. You may have detonation occurring. If you floor the car at, say, above 3500 - 4000 rpm, do you still get the rattling sound?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:11 AM   #10
ThinkPad

I agree that flooring it in 5th gear with low speed/rpm is indeed lugging the engine, and not something i normally do. But 70km/h in 4th gear around 2200rpm shouldn't be that much of a problem.
I can recognize when an engine is lugging and you have to downshift, as it barely accelerates then because you are in a too high gear. But in the 4th gear, the acceleration is fine and i don't have the idea that the engine is lugging then. It is just the rattling/metallic sound that i think is not normal when compared to other cars i have driven in.

I have updated the video description, the sound is at 0:04, 0:14 and 0:23. Maybe with this indication you can listen to it again (crank up volume). Although you drive a Yaris with a different engine, so yours will sound different anyways i guess.

In the Netherlands we have 95 octane (with max. 10% bio-ethanol). Car runs fine otherwise. Fuel consumption is also normal. See also my signature.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:22 AM   #11
rayfloyd170

Drives: Yaris 2016 1.3 Manual
Kindly check the 2 shifter cables with a metal guide... mine has a metal guide which holds the 2 shifter cables in place but also at the same time one of the cable has an insulator which was a bit worn-out due to hitting the metal guide and this created the rattling, screeching, creaking, whirring - i dont-know-how-to-describe kind of unwanted sound". i just put some rubber cushion and it saved me some $$$.

The stealership almost made me believe it was a clutch due for replacement...
rayfloyd170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #12
Mister

Drives: Yaris T1
I had a "marbles rotating in milk glass jar" sound. Ninjas told me it was the flange on the exhaust pipe. But that happened over a wider range of revs.

So its not that...But worth trolling over since it could happen to you one day :)
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote