Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #19
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Good news everyone! ( remember future Rama? )

The car dealer called and they found the problem and fixed it. The noise was not a wheel bearing but something to do with the ABS sensor on the right wheel. A new wheel bearing for an F1 50 is five to $600. That wasn’t it. Neither was the ABS module bad it was the sensor on the right front wheel. A relatively cheap fix.

So tomorrow I will go and test drive the truck and put my blue driver scan tool on it. If all goes well I get to get the truck!
Old 11-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #20
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Good news everyone! ( remember future Rama? )

The car dealer called and they found the problem and fixed it. The noise was not a wheel bearing but something to do with the ABS sensor on the right wheel. A new wheel bearing for an F1 50 is five to $600. That wasn’t it. Neither was the ABS module bad it was the sensor on the right front wheel. A relatively cheap fix.

So tomorrow I will go and test drive the truck and put my blue driver scan tool on it. If all goes well I get to get the truck!
Good stuff! Hope it works out.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #21
bronsin

Check the truck out this morning. All repairs done satisfactorily blue driver showed no trouble codes.

Wife will take me to the dealer’s lot tomorrow morning to drive it home. It was raining this morning and traffic was bad
Old 11-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #22
06YarisRS

Congrats! I hope you enjoy it. Sure looks like a nice truck.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 11-15-2020, 05:12 AM   #23
bronsin

NoW that I have the truck there are some things I have to do

I ordered new Velcro so I can put the old easy pass on the windshield.

The black plastic grill in front is cracked on the left-hand side so I’m going to get some harbor freight Apoxsee and see how good that will fix it and follow up with some black duct tape. A new grill can be had for about $125 but I don’t think so at this point.

One of the tire pressure sensors is bad or at least the area code comes up on the dash. The store said it would clear up. I’ll have to see what can be done about that without taking it to the shop.

The front two tires are barely legal and I was thinking of getting some new ones at tire discounters. But then I thought no that would be about $300. I’ll do it in six months nothing bad happens to the truck. If I do get new tires they can also fix the tire pressure sensor.

The coolant in the kids tank looks kind of shitty. I have 2 gallons of xerox for the police car which I never used because it was too hard to do. I’ll do some research and see what’s involved in changing it on the truck.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #24
06YarisRS

Quote:
NoW that I have the truck there are some things I have to do

I ordered new Velcro so I can put the old easy pass on the windshield.

The black plastic grill in front is cracked on the left-hand side so I’m going to get some harbor freight Apoxsee and see how good that will fix it and follow up with some black duct tape. A new grill can be had for about $125 but I don’t think so at this point.

One of the tire pressure sensors is bad or at least the area code comes up on the dash. The store said it would clear up. I’ll have to see what can be done about that without taking it to the shop.

The front two tires are barely legal and I was thinking of getting some new ones at tire discounters. But then I thought no that would be about $300. I’ll do it in six months nothing bad happens to the truck. If I do get new tires they can also fix the tire pressure sensor.

The coolant in the kids tank looks kind of shitty. I have 2 gallons of xerox for the police car which I never used because it was too hard to do. I’ll do some research and see what’s involved in changing it on the truck.
Sounds like you're ready to get down to work. Couldn't you find a set of used tires with good tread on local classifieds? I buy used tires fairly often and there are some great deals to be had. Some people sell their tires after they are much less than half worn.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #25
bronsin

I’ll check it out! I want to wait on the tires in any case to make sure the truck doesn’t die or something so that will give me time to check out the classifieds.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 11-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #26
06YarisRS

Quote:
I’ll check it out! I want to wait on the tires in any case to make sure the truck doesn’t die or something so that will give me time to check out the classifieds.

Thanks for the idea!
Makes sense. No problem. Another thought... If you buy tires on steel wheels you have several advantages: 1) you know the tires are in great shape because they are inflated. You can check for broken belts etc. 2) You have a dedicated set of winter wheels. 3) You save your nice alloys from the horrible corrosion associated with road salt and sand. Then again, maybe you're looking to run all-seasons year round. You live in New Jersey? I'd definitely be looking at a dedicated set winter wheels and tires, for safety as well as to protect your factory alloys.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #27
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
It looks like you've got a nice clean truck there. Don't you have to install snow tires for the winter season where you are?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #28
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Congrats on the new truck!
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #29
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Makes sense. No problem. Another thought... If you buy tires on steel wheels you have several advantages: 1) you know the tires are in great shape because they are inflated. You can check for broken belts etc. 2) You have a dedicated set of winter wheels. 3) You save your nice alloys from the horrible corrosion associated with road salt and sand. Then again, maybe you're looking to run all-seasons year round. You live in New Jersey? I'd definitely be looking at a dedicated set winter wheels and tires, for safety as well as to protect your factory alloys.
This truck is going to get maybe 1000 miles a year on it and I won’t be driving in snowy weather at all. Having said that when I get new tires for the rear they’ll be snow tires probably. That’s what’s on there now and they’re more than half worn out. But I will do for bad weather is figure out a way to get weight far back in the bed since it’s not four-wheel-drive.

Who knows maybe I will drive in snow?
Old 11-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #30
bronsin

Another thing I have to do is something I learned from YouTube. There’s no gas cap on this vehicle. It relies on the mechanism in the filler And the spring loaded door to seal and keep dirt out. So it’s important to keep the gasket that seals the door clean and lubricated with WD-40. you want to give internal mechanism a shot of WD 40 also fromTime to Time
Old 11-16-2020, 05:44 AM   #31
bronsin

It looks like I’m going to have to change the oil filter to a Motorcraft one. The engine is rattling for a few seconds after cold start up. I had this problem with the Subaru years ago. If you used a fram oil filter the engine would rattle on start up. You had to use a real Subaru one.

The engine didn’t rattle at the dealer before they change the oil. I Cold started it twice without the rattle so I’m pretty sure it’s the oil filter. I’ll have to get the truck up on ramps today and see how easy it is to get the filter Off.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #32
bronsin

I tried to get the oil filter off yesterday but it was too tight. Got the truck up on ramps though which was good. There is an air dam I have to remove someday to 17 mm bolts.

Made an appointment for Friday morning at the local Sunoco station to remove the oil filter and put the one I got from Amazon on. They’ve done stuff like this for me before when I couldn’t do it.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #33
06YarisRS

Quote:
I tried to get the oil filter off yesterday but it was too tight. Got the truck up on ramps though which was good. There is an air dam I have to remove someday to 17 mm bolts.

Made an appointment for Friday morning at the local Sunoco station to remove the oil filter and put the one I got from Amazon on. They’ve done stuff like this for me before when I couldn’t do it.
What kind of oil filter wrench are you using? Band-type, plier-type, socket-type?

Old 11-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #34
bronsin

Band type. I think the filter was over tightened I couldn’t budget. But then again, I am weak from the Parkinson’s
Old 11-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #35
06YarisRS

Quote:
Band type. I think the filter was over tightened I couldn’t budget. But then again, I am weak from the Parkinson’s
Yeah, some places/people overtighten them. I guess they feel that hand tight isn't enough.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:36 PM   #36
bronsin

If you were a professional mechanic you wouldn’t want one of the filter to leak. That would ruin your reputation!

I think only the general public would hand tighten it so it comes off easily.